Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I was looking into lowering my Envoy, but I have a couple concerns regarding ride quality and towing.

From the research that I've done on the site, I've basically settled on something rather basic, using SS struts/springs in the front and adjusting the rear leveling bags.

For those of you with this setup can you tell me if your ride quality got considerably worse or stayed the same?

And if you have towed with this setup, have you been able to tow a travel trailer 4000-5000 lbs?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
205 Posts
i can only tell you about the ss struts and springs, i love them they ride ten times better than the stock trailblazer/envoy setup. they do ride a little bit stiffer but i like the better control and less body roll.:thumbsup:

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
i can only tell you about the ss struts and springs, i love them they ride ten times better than the stock trailblazer/envoy setup. they do ride a little bit stiffer but i like the better control and less body roll.:thumbsup:
Yes they do, in all honesty if I knew the stock SS setup rode this much better than the stock TB/Voy setup I would have used it no questions asked over any other drop kit. Now having an SLE you probably dont have rear air suspension, if you do then you can adjust the bags otherwise Id probably recommend buying a set of GF rear springs. And use the SS Bilstein shocks all around.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now having an SLE you probably dont have rear air suspension, if you do then you can adjust the bags
I definitely have air suspension in the back, its pretty obvious to me when the compressor kicks in. Does anyone know how to adjust the auto leveling height?

And will cutting the bump stops be the only other thing I need to do? Or will this mild drop require those special control arms and the panhard bar?

I can't afford the dual kit purchase route plus the extra for the bar.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i'm with scarab i dont belive you have the rear level suspension

i would check your rear storage compartment and see if you have an inflator there

I'm pretty sure the rear load leveling was only available on the SLT

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's there, I knew it had air ride suspension from the day that I bought it and it is an SLE. That is not the question of the thread however.

So far I can expect the SS struts/springs to give me a slightly harsher ride...

But has anyone with lowered airbags have trouble towing a camper?

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I definitely have air suspension in the back, its pretty obvious to me when the compressor kicks in. Does anyone know how to adjust the auto leveling height?

And will cutting the bump stops be the only other thing I need to do? Or will this mild drop require those special control arms and the panhard bar?

I can't afford the dual kit purchase route plus the extra for the bar.

Thanks
Interesting, must have been an option on the SLE.

There are threads on here about how to adjust the rear load levelers, unbolt the sensor where it attaches to the frame and move it down until its at the height you want. The other threads have much better pics in them.

For just SS springs and shocks you dont need anything else, just the front springs and all 4 shocks. Believe me, replace all 4 of them with the SS ones, much nicer ride than the Bilstein HDs when you're lowered.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are threads on here about how to adjust the rear load levelers, unbolt the sensor where it attaches to the frame and move it down until its at the height you want. The other threads have much better pics in them.
With all the old threads I read on the heights of various lowering kits, Belltech, Ground Force, etc.. I should of checked to see if there was a thread on lowering the air ride :duh:

I'm thinking that since I will not be removing the air ride, just altering its height, then my Envoy should be able to tow its normal rating... right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts