Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I really don't know if it can be disabled, but I'm curious why you don't like it. It was touted by GM as being undetectable and instantly reverts to all cylinders when you ask for power. Was this a fib?

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
I really don't know if it can be disabled, but I'm curious why you don't like it. It was touted by GM as being undetectable and instantly reverts to all cylinders when you ask for power. Was this a fib?
ya...I have it and love it....the only thing is when it comes to certain mods (exhaust) you might not want it. But since I like what it does I will do without the mods, at least for now. it seems to work flawlessly, I can't feel it changing in and out. I think some tunes and programmers can get rid of it.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just that im going to put a new muffler on and don't want it to sound puss because it's only running on 4 cyl. to me if I have it there is no reason for buying a new muffler to have a nice rumble.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
It's just that im going to put a new muffler on and don't want it to sound puss because it's only running on 4 cyl. to me if I have it there is no reason for buying a new muffler to have a nice rumble.
Well if I were you Id get your exhaust done then decide if you want it disabled. Can be done easily in EFILive/HPTuner so basically any tuner can turn it off. Get a tune at the same time, they're going to charge you probably about the same because it costs a tuner $$ to change the ECM/TCM in your truck anyway.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
FYI- The DOD (at least on the Trailblazers) is more advertising then actual results. That's what I found anyway.

I turned mine off because not only did the exhaust sound ghey with it but it would also surge going from 4-8 mode after the tune. I saw ZERO change in MPG after I had it turned off. My truck has always gotten 17-19 on the highway from day one. That's with 3.73 gears and Destination AT tires (also on from day one). Some TBSS guys get about the same MPG!!

My new Impala SS has the DOD and for now I plan to leave it alone but down the road if I tune it and have a surging issue, then I'll kill it too.

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
I left mine on and did the exhaust, at a constant speed I don't even notice the change anymore. It kinda sounds like I have let off the gas pedal a bit when DOD kicks on, but if i even just barely touch the pedal it comes back to 8 cyl. the exhaust note doesn't really sound any different. all 8 cylinders are still turning, just not all firing, right? There is more than enough noise coming out the pipes to hide the fact that only half the cylinders are firing. I would leave it alone. I'm getting between 19 and 20 MPG consistently, so no gripe from me, especially with gas going up every day now.

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
82 Posts
I got 21 mpg on a recent trip from Baton Rouge to Houston. Of course, I was doing cruise control at 65-70 mph for a lot of it. Staying in 4 cylinder mode can improve fuel economy, but it seems as if it's not aggressive enough.

I have a Magnaflow cat back exhaust. The changeover from 8-4 and back is barely noticeable. If anything, it feels and sounds like the torque converter locking.

Tim

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ive gotten 22+ mpg @ 60mph before the 20" wheels. I dont have the 3:73s though, but I do have the DOD still activated.

I recently got 17+ mpg pulling the dirtbikes and trailer, prob about 2K lbs. With the 20" wheels.

But I get 11s mpg in stop and go traffic.:(

Averages out to 13.5-15 mpg usually.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Tires and gears will have the most impact. My tires probably aren't the best highway tires for economy and neither are the 3.73s.

I have gotten close to 20 though if I drive 60 mph. Rarely do I ever drive that slow though. :D

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
76 Posts
best mileage I ever got was about 18-19 avg, but that was brand new. 12k later I was 15-16 avg. I just recently got a pcm4less tune along with with e-fans and had them disable dod. Truck runs like a champ and my first tank averaged 16.99 mpg. And I had my foot in it constantly! New tune after all.... :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts