Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Trailblazer LS RWD
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
The only thing I can think to do is put it back together with some penetrating oil in the wells. Maybe if it's run a while the repeated heating & cooling can let some penetrant seep in. I can't deal with a broke off spark plug in the head. I'm done with it if that happens. They may all brake before coming lose. I may just leave them alone. I hope I've not done damage already. The plugs may last the life of the car. They don't look old from the top.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
545 Posts
I pulled the original plugs out of my '03 at 90K miles. Every one of them took way too much force/torque, and then "SNAP" they'd break free and screw out.

This resulted in zero damage to the cylinder head threads, but scared the crap out of me until the last one was out. I had visions of the aluminum head threads coming out with the plugs.

Inspection of those plugs resulted in them appearing to be so PERFECT, that even though I'd bought new plugs, I put the old ones right back in...with a dab of anti-seize on the threads.

When those plugs came back out at ~160K, they screwed out as smooth and beautiful as any I've ever pulled.

God bless anti-seize.

Some plug-makers claim they've got some sort of magic plating on the plug threads that prevents seizing. Yeah...maybe...ONCE. If you put the plugs back in, you'd better put anti-seize on the threads 'cause the magic plating will be gone after one use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I cleaned the throttle body & put everything back together. I didn't reset codes cus I didn't want to clear the readyness tests. Runs smooth as silk. The p0306 is still there. There are no pending codes. I'm sure p0306 wil clear it self after a few drive cycles.
Plugs wouldn't budge. There's some penetrating spray still soaking in there. Engine sounds smooth.

Learning to use Torques app. Torques app can show misfire data. Looks like no new misfires. There's misfire history on 5 and 6.
What scanner do I have? I have a Actron and a Harbor Freight scanner. Both show some live data. Neither shows everything.

So If I try the plugs again after a few heat cool cycles. Would it be dangerous to see if they will break loose on a hot engine?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
52 Posts
I got a free dipstick from a junk yard. I hope the ATF looks okay.
I watched several youtube videos on front suspension work.
Driver side mirror fold away is loose. Maybe easy fix.
The radio is missing. I don't know it the connectors have been cut. A factory radio is good enough.
Just found out, has 2 keys but no key fobs for the remote door lock. Fobs are on eBay. Doesn't look like you need an original to program one.
I wish it had adjustable lumbar support on the drivers seat.
Supposed to get it tomorrow.
I'm gonna have too many vehicles.
hey dude. i have a 2003 tb ls. tow weight is located in glove box interior. take a pic and look up codes. mine is g80=towable weight. as you know, GVWR is on sticker driver door. make good decisions or tear out your tranny. oh yeah, i have lumbar adj. on side of seat back. may want to check. take care!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
52 Posts
I'll look for some of that Kroll, but I don't know if I can buy it locally.
I got the jamb nut loose but the tie rod itself is stuck.
I used some heat from a Mapp gas torch and I made a coupling from a big nut & bolt to couple the box end of 2 combination wrenches together for leverage. I used a grinder on each face of a 15/16 bolt head until it would fit the 22mm wrench, tightened the nut & bolt together, then put a 15/16 wrench on the nut. I heated it a couple times before the nut let go.
I'm thinking of moving on to the struts & control arms. The tie rad that's, for sure, bad is on the other side.
The way I have this thing on the rack with the safety stand from the floor on one side, it's not easy to get at the steering wheel to extend the rack out to either side to access the inner tie rods. The Chiltons online, that I have access to through the public library, wants you to hold the rack with a pipe wrench on the valve side when removing either side inner tie rod. They actually show it being done with the rack removed from the car.
Better spell the product correctly or you won't find it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
OK, don't get confused. I bought it a year and a half ago. I've been slowly fixing it up, and am just now starting to drive it. I still got stuff to do to it.
First actual MPG check. This was the 2nd fill up since I owned it. I had no way to know the miles driven for the first fill up. So I got 13.96 MPG. This was not highway miles or block to block city miles. There are 2 to 8 mile stretches of 55 mph highway depending on the stop lights, with in town driving at the end. There was some idle time while recharging the A/C, letting it charge a dead battery and working on some rain flooded ignition coils.
14mpg. I still need a front end alignment and still have to work on the brakes cus the front are dragging a little. Rear brakes have not been touched yet, but I ave new pads in a box.
The gas gauge went bananas at the first fill. The needle peggeg high than pegged low. I put some of that Tech fuel system cleaner in it when I guess half a tank was used. As the fuel was consumed the gauge started to look like it was working. At gauge squarely on empty, it took 19.9 gallons to fill it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
There was a unknown little black box module tucked in where the radio goes that I thought was part of some alarm system. I almost threw it away. This car came without a radio. Turns out the module is to provide the chime sounds when a aftermarket radio is installed. So with that I can install any old radio. I have 2 factory cassette/CD radios but both have CD load/eject problems. I was able to find some instructions for it online.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
16.33 mpg on my 3rd fill up. Miixed local driving, Still got a little brake drag. Minimal idle time on this tank. Too hot to work on it. i might still have some hope of 20 mpg if I ever get this thing on the highway. 19 gallons to fill with the gauge on empty. I wish I could get some indication of fuel left when there's still 3 gallons in there. It's a 22 gallon tank isn't it? I'm not somebody that wants to fill up before it needs it.
Seems like I'm leaking refrigerant, Seems like I'm leaking windshield washer fluid. It went empty fast. I didn't use it much. I don't see it leaking on the ground.
Don't have a radio installed yet but it turns out only one door speaker is working.
We have caught and relocated 2 ground hogs that have damaged hoses and wiring on almost every car I've left outside. I't tried to trap them several times over years, Bananas in the trap seems to be what gets 'em. Released them in a county park 6 miles away. There is plenty of dense woods there. No damage to the Trailblazer yet. 5 other vehicles have been damaged, some several times, hoses & wiring chewed through.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts