Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thisis kinda long so If ya got the extra minutes read on. Yesturday I installed a new radio in my T.B. ,nothing expensive just decent. This was my first time installing a radio ever, but everything seemed to go fine. I took care to make sure all the wires matched properly and conected them with those little sleeves that you crimp on two ends of wire. I even wrapped it with electrical tape. I got the factory chime retention box. I got everything connected and it worked well for the rest of the evening, until I had to pull over to look for somthing. When we found it we drove away , my girlfriend tried to roll down her window and it would not work neither did any other windows, my guage cluster went out the only thing that worked was the speedometer. My head lights were fine but the 4x4 switch was out and the rear wiper was too. But the radio was working. All the warning lights(check engine , low fuel, ABS,...etc.)came on. Drove home shut off the truck and then tried to start it a few minutes later it would not start. I disconected the battery for a few minutes and it started back up when I connected the battery. But every time I shut the truck off it would not start up unless I disconnected and connected the battery , but I still had the same problems with the warning lights and the switches not working. Could this have anything to do with the radio or the way I installed it? any help would be appreciated

Thanks , Phil

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
First of all, please tell me you used an adapter and didn't cut off the factory connector.

As for your problem, you didn't hook anything up to the wire for the Class 2 did you? If you did you probably just caused major problems to your truck. I did that by accident when I was hooking up my amplifier and I fried the BCM and the truck wouldn't run. The best thing to do would be to unhook the radio and see if the truck acts properly again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't cut anything I got the the connecter with the gm2000 thing to keep the chimes. It was about $40 at Wal-Mart, the only wire I did not connect was the power antenne wires but I taped the ends so the were cover up.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
It sounds more like an ignition switch issue than something with the radio. That adapter should be using the Class 2 wire for the chimes and shouldn't hurt anything. I would still take the radio out and see if the truck still acts up, if it does then I'd say it's a safe bet to throw an ignition switch in it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went down stairs to check out the truck , and its fine now. Last night I disconnected the battery and when I went down 10 mins. ago I hooked it back up and now every thing is alright , so I don't what the issue is. I will keep a close eye on it. Also how important is it to have the antenne adapter for the radio, because the plug is a little small to stay plugged in the back so I have it kinda wedged I will get and adapter soon I just did not think I needed one when I got every thing. The chime retainer thing is just hanging in the back too do have to mount it to somthing or is it okay?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I have the same problem again. We went for a ride and everything was fine until about halfway home. Its weird because if I disconnect the battery long enough its okay for a few minutes then goes back to Sh*t. I gonna take out the radio tomorrow go over the connections too. How much does a new ignition switch cost if that is the case?

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
If it seems fine now, then you probably have an ignition switch going out. You may want to go ahead and get that replaced anyway, it isn't that expensive at the dealer. You don't want that to leave you stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I looked it up and the switch is about $30( I shoud have looked the part up before I asked about the price)is it somthing easy I can do myself if not can I have an estimate of roughly how much to install it.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Labor for an ignition switch is 1.2 hours, so parts and labor would run about $150 + tax.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
171 Posts
were did you hook up ur power supply. check all ur fuses make sure they are all tight and in place. i don't think they would be burnt out but maybe

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
I didn't read all the threads about ingnition switch's but I didn't think unhooking the battery and hooking it back up would fix that would it??

Since you didn't cut any wires, it wouldn't be that hard to put the factory radio back in - that would be the easiest/cheapest diagnostic I think.
(may even be able to do it from the glove box - I did to get the CD's out of mine that I left in!:duh:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gonna try unhooking it in a few but I really don't wanna put the factory radio back in , but I guess I might have to.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,674 Posts
its the ignition switch very common problem that we have with our trucks just spend the 30 bucks and save yourself alot of time and im pretty sure if you ask someone on the site how to replace it they can walk you right thru it to save the labor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put the factory radio back in and every thing seems to be fine now. I did not think of this before but what is the second plug for? There are 3 plugs that go in to the back of the factory radio one for the antenna and two that plug in to the radio , both side by side. I only plugged in one connector to the new radio( the wider of the two side by side plugs) and the antenna plug did not fit right and I forgot to get the adapter so I just kinda wedged it in, and the second plug was just hanging disconnected. Could any of those things be causing the problems I'm having?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
Missed your last post.
That adapter doesn't sound right. There are other brands, but if you go here and look, the GMOS-01 is for if you don't have the Bose Premium and the GMOS-04 is for if you do. As you can see there are multiple plugs on them, and while your truck was acting strange and is OK now I would say that was/is the cause.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i think you just solved your own problem. You definatley have the wrong adaptor. i would recommend you get a metra axxess gmos-01 for non-bose or gmos-04 for bose. i would never buy that wal-mart crap. :duh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts