Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Weekend im planning on changing my Oil to Full Synthetic Mobil 1... Along with that i would like to Flush My Transmission and change the filter and put all new fluid in.... how many qts should i plan on buying and what brand fluid do you recomend for that?

Now my Question is why do i keep reading in threads it may not be a good idea to do a full flush on the Tranny?
Mine for instance is the 4.2 with 83k miles. Any advice?

Also I already did a resonater delete and planning on a Flowmaster 70 this weekend.... maybe an air intake to go with the K&N that i put on last week. i want to remove the Air intake resonater, im hoping to get more sound out of it...:undecided

Any other tune-up ideas that you strongly recomend for a vehicle with 83k miles? im thinking plugs...

:thx :thx

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
143 Posts
Now I could be wrong, but with that many miles, I would NOT switch to SYN. Stay with what you are using, your motor is used to that. Going to SYN may cause it to knock which = bad news, also, I would suggest using only GM fluids for the tranny.
:m2:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
A drain and filter change is 5 qts of trans fluid. A complete fluid change is 13 - 14 qts. of fluid.

The theory on changing to synthetic oil has changed a lot since it was first introduced. There should be no problems switching to synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I would have to say that if you don't have any leaks anywhere then changing your oil to synthetic should be no problem

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
261 Posts
If you haven't done it already I would recommend a complete brake fluid flush as well as a power steering flush.

Have you changed the fluids in your differentials and transfer case yet?

You didn't mention it but when you put the intake in did you clean the throttle body?

As others have mentioned I don't think you're going to have any issues switching to synthetic oil.

Back when I had around 85K on mine I started systematically changing out all the fluids. I did a transmission flush first and then a filter change. My recommendation to you on the filter change is if the seal won't come out easily then just leave it in there and swap out the old filter with the new one. I had a difficult time getting mine out and if I had to do it all over again I would have just left it in there.

How is your suspension (all 4 end links, upper and lower ball joints, shocks)? If they haven't been replaced start getting ready for those too.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
follow up

Just Wanted to keep updating... So far I Decided to change to Mobil1 Synthetic, I also cut off the Exhaust and welded on a Flowmaster Super44, after that I decided to A Nice Exhaust tip would set off the rear end Nicely. But about an hour later i found myself driving back to NAPA where i got everything to change the transmission filter and fluids. Finished that off then hallowed out my Air intake Box. Envoy is Running MINT and sounds GREAT. I thought the Super44 might be to much but it really sounds great and even though nobody sees it i know it looks great under there. Oh.... By the way i removed the Roof racks also... Plan on getting some Silicone to fill those in today....

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yES

I forgot I also Took the Throttle Body off and Cleaned it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts