Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well like the title says I have another alternator? I hope I put this in the right spot seeing how it has to do with my stereo. I went to Advanced Auto Parts today to have my alternator and battery tested due to the fact that when I have my subs on my lights dim really bad. So anyway's I've heard everyone say that the alternator doesn't produce enough amps to keep up with a high end system. My system consist of two amps totaling 1400w. When I went to advanced auto parts to have everything tested they said that it seems like everything is working fine. I put the print out on here so you guys can see. Also I was talking to Gus at Ohiogen and he has a replacement alternator for $530 that includes shipping. So basically what I'm asking is if ADV Auto Parts said everything tested fine even when I had my system up then why do I need to replace the alternator. Thanks in Advanced. Sorry its so long lmao.

Anybody

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
468 Posts
ummm. it might be working FINE.. but just not fine ENOUGH for your needs.. you need a high output alternator to keep up with your system..

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what everyone has been telling me but the guys at ADV Auto Parts, didnt have a clue but I guess seeing how you work there doesnt mean you know anything about cars lol. Is Ohiogen a good company to order from I've heard they have state of the art testing equipment and they test each and everyone of there alternators?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
63 Posts
They do make some good alts how many amp alt will they give you for that price? I have always got my alts from excessive amperage and have never had one problem. I just put a 300 amp alt in from there and it works perfect and I paid $505.00 shipped.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
the guys at auto stores dont know anytihing about audio. they'll sell you a $40 headunit, thats about it.

and yes, ohio is a good brand, one of the best. excessive is a good one too. also irragi (sp) they sell theirs on ebay. of course ohio will be the most expensive.

depending on your system i would do a big three and get a deep cylce for the rear first, if it still dims then get the HO alt.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats sounds good as well, I was planning on doing the Big 3 at the same time I got the Alt. arent the Deep Cycles like $160 and up. Have you ever replaced your yet with a higher output I know you have those 18s

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
662 Posts
You don't need a H.O. alternator for only 1500~ watts.

Invest into some batteries and the big3 and you should be fine.

I use to run my Sundown SAZ-3000D @ .5 ohm on a stock alt with only two g31 batteries in the back.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the big 3 and the battery would be a cheaper way to go so Ill do that. THX

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
138 Posts
I think it's like this.
Your alternator puts out X amount of amps, but all your electronics are draining more from your battery than what your alternator can put out. So the other electronics, lights, dash lights, or even some cases, head lights wont recieve as much power. I think thats what they mean.
This was a lot to type on a phone, lol

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its not just the headlights but all the lights lol. Dash, Maps headlight etc.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
I hear ya....if you are going to do the alt, might want to go with a smaller pulley for more low rpm output, otherwise you could end up with the same problem while idling/ low speeds.....even with an ohio gen, big 3, and multiple batts the lights would dim in mine (standard pulley/ max output at >2000rpm)

I did get a chance to check out one of Mechmans one wire alts and that thing is a beast:drool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts