Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't dodge the layoff bullet. "Due to the slow economy" a handful of the highest paid inside and outside salespeople were let go. Guess who was one of them? I had a feeling it was only a matter of time, but I really didn't want to have to look for a new job. At this point, I'm thinking I should try a new career path, once I get my unemployment benefits taken care of that is. But what does a 27yo do when that which they have been learning about and specializing in since they were 19 is taken away? Who else has this happened to and how are you all dealing with it? I know I would love a change from my field, but I don't want to flip burgers or bag groceries either. How does a person with no college education and limited job training go about getting a good job? Skills are not my problem. I can do just about anything. It is proving to the potential employer my worthiness that concerns me.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
If the unemployment problem gets high enough you might be able to get into a re-training program in a local college paid for by the State or Federal Gov't. You might want to check into that. Sorry to hear about this, hang in there it well get better.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
sorry to hear man... i got laid off in august but found a job in my field shortly later.. bout a month or so... i went from warehouse/deliveries... to computer aided design.. which is was i'm still going to school for... if u have any local community colleges check out there website... they mite have an employment site where u can look into a few different jobs and see what they have to offer... best of luck to you...

u know the economy is down when the assassins get laid off... (mr and mrs smith movie reference...)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You have my best wishes as well. I was let go a month ago, after 35 years in an engineering specialty that doesn't transfer very well to other industries. After the new administration starts its stimulus program, there may be other infrastructure (hopefully not all heavy construction) jobs spring up. An investment in solar or other green energy programs may open up a lot of sales, installation, manufacturing, and support jobs. A local college got a grant to offer free seminars on career-changing and so forth, so make sure you read the paper looking for those kind of announcements. CBS news last night had a section on repair providers whose business is way up with people fixing things instead of discarding: cobblers, transmission rebuilders, fabric reweavers.

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
At 27 you're probably better off than many of us "old guys". I would think many companies would rather invest in retraining someone in their 20's than take a chance on retraining someone in the "over 50" club. This may work to your advantage, try other things you're interested in if you can.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
i have told people there are 3 jobs that mite fall some but wont hit lay offs as bad as other places...

1. Welding (everything in production requires welding... and alot of welding places are looking for welders...)
2. Mechanics (everything needs to be repaired... if the machines dont work alot of the things we have or live off of would no longer work...)
3. Computer Aided Design (Everything you see was once drawn out... either on paper by hand or on a computer by a program...)

those are the 3 i'm in and i dont see falling by the way side.. mite slow down but not to majorly... hell there are a ton of places around here willing to pay for you to learn how to weld for there jobs... check out the AWS (american welding society)... but yea its easier for us younger guys to change jobs now...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. Im also being laid off at the end of january. Im only 21 and i have only had 2 jobs since i started working when i was 18, so i hear ya when it comes to job experience. Im trying to be optimistic and hopefully i will get a job before my "termination" date (i hate when they call it that). Anyways, good luck. :grouphug:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
Tough Break Man........ and so now your gonna have to sell yourself............. least you have an advantage there. Right?

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
If the unemployment problem gets high enough you might be able to get into a re-training program in a local college paid for by the State or Federal Gov't. You might want to check into that. Sorry to hear about this, hang in there it well get better.
As Robert says in his post retraining is a nice thing to consider. Did your company suffer as a result of Foriegn Competition? If so the Trade Relocation Act can give you a very sweet deal, unemployment and paid training at some very good schools

Also as hatchett669 mentioned seeing as though you are a very young guy you might want to set your sights on some training in Welding. Now I know this is not glamorous endevor, but the United States will be building a large number of Nuclear Power Plants in the next 10 years and you can make some VERY SERIOUS MONEY as a certified Nuclear welder.

If you would like PM me I can give you some pointers on the Trade Relocation Act (TRA) if that applies to your company.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the wishes guys. Yeah, it sucks to get hit like this, but I will take it as an opportunity to move forward. After taking a few days to clear my head, I'll figure out what it is I really want to do with my life and I'll find a way to do it. I'll definitely be spending more time on Trailvoy, and I've got a few mods in store for the break as well. It will give me time to work on my dash write-up, and I can start using my gym membership again.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,077 Posts
Sorry to hear about your layoff. Layoffs these days are like a disease. There is much uncertainity in my workplace too. Best wishes on your job search. Hope you find an even better job than the last one.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Welcome to the club! 4 year veteran of an aluminum foundry here. Paid pretty well there too. I went up $5 in pay scale in a four year period. Then dumped onto the streets. Take advantage of your manditory vacation and who knows...other opportunities may be just around the corner. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Good luck to us all!:(

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
421 Posts
I have been through this too, although the economy was not this bad. Glad you are taking care of unemployment. That is the first thing I tell people to do. The second thing is get your but out there. I not only looked through the paper and Internet, I actually went to businesses and handed them my resume and just said if there is anything that looks like you need let me know. The funny thing is 3 months after I found a job and 5 months after I did that I was getting calls from a lot of people. I actually switched from one part time job to another for about $2 more.

What I am saying is you are young. Get things in order. Go to the unemployment office and have them look for jabs for you also. You may have to work somewhere you don't for a few months but don't get down.

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
76 Posts
join the club

I was laid off too last month. It sucks terribly, but as it was said before - settle your unemployment first (you've been paying for it) and take the opportunity to switch career paths. I am. I'm going from Insurance underwriting to a tech. I'll be done school in April and will be on the hunt for a new job after the new year. Good luck!! :grouphug:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts