Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I should say it wants to start but doesnt.. sometimes it cranks over and then cuts out when the RPM's reach 1000

I have 12 volts at the battery and 12 volts from the bat neg. to alt pos.

I DID upgrade my wires (bat neg. to ground and bat. pos to alt. pos.)

all the fuses are fine.. the battery connections are fine...

could I have fried the alternator or is it something retarded as not tightening the alt pos. lug down all the way?? (it felt tight when I did it but who knows)

I did take both upgraded wires off the bat. and still it wont crank over and stay over

I feel stupid :duh::(

I forgot to mention that the battery is an Optima Red Top. less than a year old

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
are you trying to do the Big 3 upgrade?

did you disconnect everything prior to starting?

did anything spark while you were working?

did you do the ground to body ground?

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3,097 Posts
Oh man you screwed it up now. And I'm sure Roadie will have a cartoon for this:crackup:

I guess try another battery but that shouldn't be the problem. Sounds like you shorted something. Maybe you disconnected something?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I took the battery completely out while working on it and all the connections are tight as can be and everything is hooked up... I wonder if a relay blew..

although when I first tested it it started fine and ran.. then when I was gonna get something to eat I swung around the driveway and it cut off and now I cant get it to turn over :hissy::hissy:

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its 4 awg wire.. and I didnt even mess with the starter at all

and how do I get that fusible link out? I see it but I dont know how it comes apart... (if its even supposed to) :ugh:

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
I couldn't tell you for sure without seeing it myself, but it sounds like a short. Or maybe one of the new wires is faulty?:undecided Newb:dielaugh: j/k. Hope you figure it out. If I was a lot closer, I'd be over already helping.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
did you reconnect all the original wiring?

you did leave the stock wiring in right? you added, but not replaced?

I did this mod today as well, and it all worked out fine for me. Maybe one of your connections are loose, did you attach the one to the alternator back again?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah all the original wires are still in place, I just added 4 gauge wire from alt post to pos. terminal and chassis ground to neg. post..

I am wondering if the OEM fusible link to the alternator went kaput :undecided

hey Diablo if you dont mind can you post pics of where your wires ran to and whatnot?

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
What about that Mega Fuse, heard other people boosting thier trucks at the fuse box:duh::duh::duh:then no start cus that fuse blown.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont think its the mega-fuse cuz everything works fine inside.. radio, headlights door locks and windows :undecided

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
and how do I get that fusible link out? I see it but I dont know how it comes apart... (if its even supposed to) :ugh:
To get the fusible link out you will have to cut it and solder in a new one from a parts store. You'll have to use a continuity meter to see if it's burnt because most of the time you can't tell just looking at it.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fusible link is good.. tried jump starting it to no avail. I switched the fuel pump relay with another one to no avail..

my last ditch effort is to get another starter relay and if that doesnt do it I am looking at a new starter :hissy::hissy::hissy::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
if the fusible link blew you have the new 4ga wire to take its place. So that cant be the prob. and even if the link did blow it wont interfere with the starting circuit.

would it be to big of a coincidence (i kno i butchred the spelling) if it were the ignition switch? I know everything else is good but....

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That could be my luck that the ignition switch crapped out.. although after it shut off and I tried starting it I heard some sort of pop come from behind the steering wheel :hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy:

but why would it shut off after I initially started it up, ran fine for 30 seconds, turn off, go in house for 10 minutes, come back out and turn it on again only to have the truck die as I am turning to go down the driveway.. WTF..

can the ignition switch crap out while its running and shut off??

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
That could be my luck that the ignition switch crapped out.. although after it shut off and I tried starting it I heard some sort of pop come from behind the steering wheel :hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy:
Man that would be some crappy luck

The only thing i can find is the ignition switch connector pinout - shouldn't be too tough to trace the ignition circuits from the switch to the steering column connector C201 to test them

A C E and G should all have b+ with the key in run....maybe C or E isn't making good contact when the key returns from start:undecided

Attachments

1 - 20 of 70 Posts