Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night I took my trailblazer out for a trip onto the beach at night and had a blast. First time doing so with my own truck, have some pretty good tires on there, not quite off road but def not pass car tires either. Just wondering what the speed rating is for use in 4wd? I started off in 4wd low, and thought I smelled a burning smell after about a half hour of doing about 20 over some small sand dunes near the waters edge. I popped it into 4wd high and it worked just fine.

Picture this: crusing at an idle in 4wd low while sitting out the sunroof and steering with my feet and drinking a beer with nothing but miles of open beach ahead and the only thing to be seen is in the path of my high beams and the stars above while cranking some good tunes.

I have to say for a comepletly stock truck, I was able to drive through choppy sand, over some small dunes, compacted wet sand on the waters edge, and even got ballsy enough to take in about 4-5 inches of water near the edge once I saw how great it was handling everything else. The only thing that sucks it waking up the next morning and seeing all the sand clumped up in the undercarraige, spent a good 10 minutes outside hosing it all off.

Just wanted to share my enthusiasm with everyone is all

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
If you popped it into first, its really easy to rev high when in 4LO. It could contribute to a hot smell. Was the engine itself running hot? Because of the way the transfer case is set up... I don't think there is any way for you to overheat it if its functioning normally.

While sitting in the sunroof drinking a beer sounds good... I'm not real happy to hear you were doing it while driving... You may want to keep stories like that to yourself in the future.

Which beach is this? I'm assuming it is a state maintained OSV legal beach...?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I changed the all the fluids at 50k, I have about 500 miles on it since. The engine was running at reg temp. I got out and smelled all round the car trying to pinpoint it but I didnt smell it then.

Also in NY its only a summons to have an open alcohol container in the car, only when you drink to.06 BAL is it DUI, and .08 BAL is it DWI, further more its only applicable to motorways and parking lots of 12 spaces or more so no matter how you slice it its all good, didnt mean to sound like I was advocating drinking and driving by any means, one bear is nothing, just what I chose to have with the burger is all.

Anyway, the burning smell seemed to go away at a certain point, im not sure if maybe I had just had something on the exhaust I drove over on the sand like a plastic bag or what not, but it seemed to go away quickly and not return. May have to pop off the running boards to get a lil more ground clearence too.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...didnt mean to sound like I was advocating drinking and driving by any means...
Heavens no. Just sitting in the sunroof, steering with your feet. :weird: Not that you care being on the wrong coast and all, but that earns you a ban from trail rides I might run. :nono:

Carry on. Your enthusiasm is ... not shared.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
Heavens no. Just sitting in the sunroof, steering with your feet. :weird: Not that you care being on the wrong coast and all, but that earns you a ban from trail rides I might run. :nono:

Carry on. Your enthusiasm is ... not shared.
:iagree:
I got a little enthusiastic the first time I drove a sand dune and paid for it with a new bumper, fan blade, water pump and radiator skid plate. However, that was due to ignorance of what going off-road really meant. One group I use to go duning with referred to it as "Dune Bashing". The group I now travel with tries to avoid "bashing" at all reasonable costs. We are out to have a good time and learn to navigate the dunes. We will take reasonable, calculated risks when it is justified, but would prefer to aviod them. There is a fine line between enthusiasm and recklessness. Driving while drinking, sitting on the sunroof and steering with your feet all cross the line to recklessness. :m2:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
268 Posts
i don't think he actually meant dunes in his comment "20 over some small sand dunes near the waters edge"

i think he more meant the irregular beach levels you sometimes get near the water.

I have had my old explorer on the beach a few times but the main thing I would say is to try not to stop while in deeper sand. Unless you have a wide footprint,if you stop you are stuck!

it's a good idea keep a small shovel and a jack handy and a small piece of plywood for the jack to have a good platform. A tow strap isn't a bad idea either :)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Just don't do it on pavement, as the Owner's Manual warns. The front diff, CV shafts and hubs are all spinning in 2WD mode. Not much gets added in the transfer case when you go to 4WD. Actually, there might be less wear since there's no relative motion of the clutch plates.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
theres no speed limit for 4wd High? aka you could go 100mph in 4wd if you wanted too?
yes, on several occasions I've gone 70mph in 4x4.

Speed isn't the issue. The 4x4 system is physically "locked" together, and will not allow any slippage between the front and rear. Consequently, steering (even small corrections, over time) on high-traction surfaces will cause binding, and if you don't disengage, you could cause damage. Turning on low-traction surfaces is okay, because the wheels will slip, when necessary, to alleviate binding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts