Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am removing the Front Differential...have ?/ added pics

I had posted about replacing the driver's side diff seal. Well, I guess that wasn't the only leak.
After driving it for a week, I got under it and saw that it is also leaking from where it goes into the tranny, and also from a hard to reach bolt on the case and possibly the case itself near that bolt.

I almost got the diff out. Today I removed the steering rack, now I just need the Oil Pan. I have a question though: Can the differential case be opened without anything coming apart? If it can I would like to try to fix the leak from the bolt/case by adding some gasket maker or silicone. It's either that or buy a used diff, but I want to get it right the first time, this is not a fun job.

FYI: I had to remove the entire A-arm/shock assembly to get the passenger side axle shaft out because the axle would not budge from the intermediate tranny shaft so it all had to come out as one piece.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question. Does anyone know where the front diff vent hose goes up to?
Is it capped with anything or is it just open.

Here are a couple of pics:

Shows the leak on the right side of diff

Shows the bolt that is leaking

Pics of the axle shafts:
Drivers side

Passenger side

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The diff vent hose goes up the drivers side of the engine and ends just under the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
when i got my front diff removed my friend couldnt take it out due to the the diff being too big to remove from the frame so instead terr a part the different until the part was small enough to remove the differ out from the frame. hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts