Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
33 Posts
Resolved

TVers,
Satisfaction has been achieved. When ordering temp actuators, be careful and specific about the part #.
GM sent me the same part for both driver and passenger temperature actuator. It is as follows:
GM#:89018375
ACD#:15-72972
$117.50 each was best price I could find, from local GM dealer, Rock Auto included. I was told these are so expensive because they are 5 wire, rather than 4 wire that mode door actuator uses.
I understand some of the confusion is due to GM changing the part number. One parts pro told me 4x for this part. All sources may not be using the latest information. Be careful.
To anyone doing this repair, if you replace your actuator(s) and they will not calibrate, not work properly, check the HVAC control panel. I was not getting proper voltage coming from blue wire on back of control panel. Sourced new panel from salvage yard.
Mechanic and I think figured out the order of operations with failure of my temp controls
1 Passenger actuator; didn't notice, don't often have passengers, seized motor; screwed up control panel, control panel kept running driver's actuator against its stop(s) and killed it.
2 Drivers Actuator.
Sorry roadie, my mechanic/friend wanted the bad actuators. Since we used his shop and 10 hours of his time, on this and many other things, some were auto related, I gladly let him have them. I can send you old control panel if interested.
happy Turkey Day.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Fascinating data, BP:
GM#:89018375
ACD#:15-72972

I see conflicting data from compnine, rockauto, and parts4chevys.com on this part. Those part numbers are lower (which usually means older) than the ones in my exploded diagram, which was the result of extensive research. But they're also listed as working on other vehicles.

But I can't argue with success. If they work for you, then :woohoo:

I remain skeptical that you were told the right reason, though. ALL five actuators (I guarantee it) are five wire. They all have 12V, 5V reference, ground, actuator control line, and sensor feedback line.

In my actuator failure that triggered a long investigation, running the motor against the stops just resulted in the control module seeing poor results from the sensor. WIthin a minute, during the calibration sequence, the module recognized there was a problem, and simply quit trying to control that actuator channel. No damage to the module. If I was designing it, I would have protected the module against that sort of damage. The only way to get the module to attempt to talk to that channel again was to pull the fuse and force a memory reset, and a new recalibration sequence.

In the schematic, I see two dark blue, one light blue, and one light blue/black stripe wires. Any chance you remember which blue wire you had a bad voltage on? 5V reference, a control line, or a sensor feedback wire?

I am indeed interested in the control module - I'll PM you. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Caveat- I am not a mechanic, electrical engineer, parts guy or any other sort of auto expert. I make no claim to know/understand many of the particulars. This seemed to be uncharted territory for other parties involved in my repair job as well. I am happy to have the vehicle working properly. So any info from my experience is worth what was paid for it. I do not intend to create confusion; just wanted to share my experience in hopes that it helps the next person.
Regarding parts numbers- The # listed in my previous post made my 2003, manual dual zone, TB work. I don't know if it will make yours work.
Without the help, guidance, and specifically the blown up diagram, this repair would have been far more painful. Many thanks to contributors.
Happy holidays and safe travels.
-Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could this be the same part...

I've been reading this thread and am pretty sure it talks to the exact issues i am experiencing - figured i would give it a shot even though i am a newbie to cars and car repairs and all that good stuff. Just so tired of BIG repair bills.

I started searching for the part numbers listed previously and ended up on this...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=315&partnum=1573596&a=FR315-1573596-283618

The part is only $41 and looks identical to what I was viewing under the dash.

The price is so much cheaper than what was previously mentioned though that it makes me think it's not the right part? To reaffirm... looking to replace the passenger side temperature actuator as the passenger side only blows hot air on my 2003 T/B with manual dual climate control.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the part as I am pretty confident this is the correct one, will confirm when the part arrives and am able to install it.

I also wanted to drop a note on how i removed the bad actuator. Like one person mentioned, it's pretty easy - my process was slightly different though...

1. Raise the catch on the glove box so the glove box can swing down and give you access to the actuator.
2. There are two larger screws that secure the actuator to the car. The top screw is no problem, just remove it. The second screw is behind the brass colored support. All I did to remove it was use a flathead screwdriver from under the support to muscle the actuator up enough to expose the screw from above the support (rather than having to go through it). From there i just used a deep socket to remove the screw pretty easily.
3. After removing the screws in step 2, i still couldn't remove the actuator because there was not enough space between the face of the actuator and the brass colored support we are having to work around. I tried yanking (and i really leaned into it) on the support like one person mentioned but it didn't work for me. All I did then was remove the 4 tiny screws from the face of the actuator, detached the face from the actuator and removed the face first. That then free'd up enough room for the rest of the actuator to come out with no issue.

Finally, as a workaround, to get cold air blowing again on the passenger side, I simply turned the bar the actuator was mounted to clockwise until it stopped (about a Qtr turn).

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Flat head screwdriver

I had heat blowing from the pass/rear air and I checked on this awesome site and figured it had to be the one behind my glove box, opened it all the way, grabbed a big flat head screwdriver and forced the door open to cold. Thanks again to everybody at TrailVoy. I'll replace is before we get cold weather:D

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
6 Posts
Thanks

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum, the information and tips are invaluable.

I too had the Passenger temp actuator go bad, it only blew hot air on passenger and back blowers. With the information provided on this site I had the courage and knowledge that I could replace it.

Special thanks to dougbaker78 and DBriles as both your tips and techniques provided me with all I needed.:thx

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
6 Posts
2003 Envoy PASS actuator

My 2003 Envoy temp is crazy. My passenger side blows cold air. no heat. I'm going to try and replace the actuator. Your thread has shown me the way. :)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Driver bit with 5.5 mm socket

I followed basically the same steps as suggested above. Once you get the cover off you have enough room to remove that bolt behind the bar if you angle it just right. Make sure you use a hand driver with a 1/4" drive so that you don't have to add an adapter for the 5.5 mm socket.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Much Thanks

I followed pretty much the same steps also. I used a carbide bit on a dremel to cut a bit through the brace. I had to use large channel locks to pry on the brace enough to get the actuator out. Getting it in was a bit more difficult, but finally pulling on the brace with my hand allowed me to pop the actuator in place. I then went through the reset procedures and watched it properly cycle. After this, I taped the screws to the socket head so I wouldn't drop them somewhere where I could retrieve them and tightened everydown.

On my 05 Trailblazer, I took out a part with numbers 52402612 and 010041611A and used amazon to get a AC Delco replacement: 15-73597 (GM# 89018677) It was $31.61 on Amazon, but I think since I bought a rarely purchased part, Amazon raised the price to $37.53. Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-73597-Actuator-Assembly/dp/B0016IHFGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402776340&sr=8-1&keywords=delco+1573597

So for 90 minutes effort, many cuts on my knuckles, and $32 I was able to repair. THANKS TrailVoy.com for all of the help.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1 Posts
2003 GMC Envoy Temp Actuator Replacement

Our 2003 Envoy had some kind of a power break (clock reset) and when we turned on the AC, it was hot on the drivers side and cold on the passenger side. The battery went bad a few days later. In the process of checking for issues and changing the battery, the AC compressor quit coming on also. Took the car to the dealer and the dash control was replaced. With what I had read in the forum, I decided to attempt to replace the temp door actuator myself. It was easier than I expected. As I took the dash apart, I moved the AC controls and watched the back side of the actuator(s) shaft and could verify which door was not moving. I bought the actuator at the GMC dealer and saved about 60$ on the part. I needed the "secret" of opening the actuator, removing the top gear, so I could spin the "connector" to match the vent door post for the install (trial and error). Thanks for the help folks.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
HVAC Temp. Actuator fix

I'm new to the Forum - hi all!

Is this the same fix to blow heated air instead of cold air? I am having the same problem but in reverse. I can hear changes going on with air sometimes heat then no heat on passenger side. In the winter it really gets cold on that side of the car.

Thanks for any help for the new guy!

The Passenger Side Temperature Actuator went out in my 2003 Trailblazer. The passenger side and rear vents blew heater air instead of air conditioned air.
I removed the glove box and found the actuator to the left center behind the radio on the passenger side.

How I did it:
Unplug the actuator. Using a 5.5 mm extended socket on a screw driver remove ....

J Baker

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
29 Posts
02 TB 2wd

Will be doing this one as well as the main air control mod. I guess after 13 yrs and 204,000 miles it is time things need to be fixed.

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Here's a couple pics showing the 4 "main" actuators. ( to remove the Recirculate Actuator the entire dash housing must be removed. )

If anyone decides to get used parts from the junkyard,... this picture shows the proper indexing for the main gear and the smaller "potentiometer" gear. ( main gear slots line up verticaly and small gear has 2 pins that align horizontally,.... #'s printed on small gear at the top ! )

I've never had a problem after indexing ( each of ) the Actuators in this way.

:cool:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Actuator replaced

Hi all,
I am new to the forum. Just bought my 2007 Trailblazer LT 4x4 last Saturday. Replaced the idler pulley on Sunday and tonight replaced the passenger side temp actuator. I was able to get a socket on a long skinny extension on the bolt behind the brace without cutting or drilling... just brute force. Then with the bolts out, I could still not pull the actuator out due to the brace. So, I pulled the front off of the old actuator by breaking the tabs with a small screwdriver. Then I was able to pull it out in two pieces. I installed the new one the same way by gently removing the front of the new one and installing it in two pieces. Oh, and I did not put that second bolt back in, just the one on top. AC works perfectly now.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
69 Posts
Thanks a lot for the images, labels and indexing information. I have a new actuator for vent/floor, but I can't say that I bought the right one, but it was from Rock Auto. Do new units need indexing? My main issue is with the rear vents in our '08, so it has rear blowers that sometimes don't work (although we hear the fan going). And sometimes it blows on the face or feet and won't change. Hopefully I have the correct part to fix those issues.

Rob in AZ

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
5 Posts
HVAC temp blend actuator driver side

I am replacing the temp blend actuator on the drivers side, but need to know what has to be removed in order to pull out bad actuator on 2003 TB LTZ. Any tips?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts