Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Envoy.

I just replaced the air door actuator that switches between defrost and floor due to no floor air.

I put in a Dorman 604-115

I Installed the new actuator and did the fuse pull reset.

I watched the actuator go to Floor, then defrost where it stays. I can do the reset again and it alway does the same thing.

so that air Door actuator was not the problem.

I cannot select floor heat at the control even though it obviously can do it.

I’m thinking a new controller is the answer. Any other options?

I see used ones on eBay or new from Dorman.

suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,548 Posts
The air door actuator controls the air between the floor and face vents, not the defrost. Are you saying you are not getting air out of the defrost vents when defrost is selected?
Attached is a diagram of the actuators.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

I may be dealing with an intermittent failure here. I just reinstalled the old part and now everything works perfectly.

Perhaps doing the reset procedure five or six times did some thing, I don’t know. Anyway it’s working now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s right. My toes are cold and it will only defrost the windshield

Its working at the moment. So I’m not touching anything. If I select windshield defrost I’m not sure I can get it back to floor. Appears to be intermittent.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
1 Posts
Have the same concern....heat blows the rough defrost only. Vent and AC blow through normal forward vents. It will be good to know how this one is solved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I’ve learned so far is that the diagram shown in post 2 here does not apply to my 2002.

Those actuator part numbers cross reference to 2003 to 2009.

After a visit to the dealer I found that my 2002 Defrost actuator is part number 89018375 or 16164972. The 16164972 is what is in there now. I should have taken that out to look at it before ordering the wrong part based on the diagram in post 2.

Equally confusing is the naming conventions they use to describe these actuators. The one I need to replace - the one that makes it switch from Floor to Windshield for Defrost is called Temp Valve according to the dealer.

I ordered a Dorman 604-111 and will return the incorrect 604-115.

Confused. Me too.

Ill let you know how it goes. I should have the part Friday.

Thanks.

I’m attaching a diagram the dealer gave me. I’m Replacing #5, the one toward the engine at the top. Driver side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts