Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago, during snow storm in PA, I had to replace my rear tires. Got the same size but different brand. No problem at first, in 4wheel drive at the time. A week later, took out of 4 wheel drive and noticed wouldn't go back in during next snow storm. Flashed, then light on dash, Service 4WD, came on. When restarting car, dash light off. initially felt like stuck in 4wd, stiff turning, not as easy to accelerate. Mechanic checked for me when he changed out the shocks and struts and said not stuck in 4wd. Started hearing a humming sound in the front that starts around 25-30 mph. Sound increases with speed but stays steady while transmission shifting so don't think it's the transmission. Feel some roughness in my feet on accelerator or resting on floor. No trouble steering or turning, don't hear sound turning because going slower speed. Tire treads are different front to back. No clanking or grinding sounds.
The humming sound reminds me of riding with my daughter in her jeep. Could this just be the difference in tires?
Any ideas on what to do aside from buying the matching tires for the front.
Thanks for all help!

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
59 Posts
It is either the tires causing the hum or the transfer case. Tires front and rear tires should be matched and have even tread wear or the clutches in the transfer case wear . The front and rear wheels are not turning the same revolutions per mile when they do not have the same circumference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts