Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an issue with my '03 LS Trailblazer (2 wheel drive, V6). I just rolled over 90K and about 4 months ago noticed a noise, at first it was faint and very intermittent, but it sounds like a ridding lawn mower, in my engine. If that even begins to make sense. It now starts with the noise as soon as I start it up, coming and going, some days more than others.

I've had my husband look at it and he pulled the belt and the noise was still there. My local shop is stumped and requested I take it to a Chevy dealer....which I really don't want to do, considering they want $80 for the first hour, just to diagnose.

In terms of power, I can tell it's more sluggish, probably growing more so with passing time. My RPM's run high when I turn it on, 2000 for the first few minutes, then very low after, 1800-1500. On occasion it will try to die when shifting out of park into reverse.

I've had several people confirm it's not the fan clutch, so we've ruled that out.

Over all, the noise is really awful and terribly embarrassing. I plan on trading it in before the year end and upgrading to a Tahoe, but I'd like to know what's wrong with it before I do. I should also mention little parts are failing, with a higher frequency, the door speaker, one light on my controls panel, things of that nature. I know it won't be too long before bigger and more expensive things start going and I don't want to be around for that.

Please help.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
18 Posts
The revving problem sounds like a dirty throttle body. I would run BG 44k through, change the fuel filter, and clean the throttle body to see if it fixes the revving erratically.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, even though I thought it wasn't the idler pulley, I think it is. I talked with someone yesterday about it and they think that's what it is. Based on videos documenting the sound, some are pretty close in sound. I've read a few descriptions that detail my issues pretty clearly. If it's not that, it might be the alternator, I'll start with the cheapest option and work my way up.

The fuel filter and air filter were all changed last week, it did nothing. My husband is changing the oil tonight and putting an the idler pulley on it. I'll tell him to clean the throttle body and run BG 44K through it.

Either way, I'm getting rid of this truck soon, I'd rather not replace the fan clutch and it's next to go. It's been a good truck, for the most part, but having this noise for the last 4 months, has put a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, it should have said this: My RPM's run high when I turn it on, 2000 for the first few minutes, then very low after, 800-500. I was in a hurry at work and just caught this.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
183 Posts
i would check out this article and print a copy for reference when cleaning the throttlebody (note if you dont clean both sides it does no good)...i had a similar prob with the RPM's and did this and all was good...the humming that you described sounds like the idler pully so i think you have that covered...
http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

OT, but maintenance related, I have one dinky light out on my slide temperature controls, the left side. All my other lights work, do I need to pull the entire unit off, just to replace one light?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
183 Posts
not sure about the light on the HVAC controler, mine is digital and i plan i replaing the burnt out bulbs with LED's...i know that mod can NOT be done with the manual HVAC controler...anyone else?????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was not the idler pulley.

Talked to someone else who thinks it may be the timing chain tensioner. Anyone have any idea on the labor/cost on that? It sounds more difficult than an evening of work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have an issue with my '03 LS Trailblazer (2 wheel drive, V6). I just rolled over 90K and about 4 months ago noticed a noise, at first it was faint and very intermittent, but it sounds like a ridding lawn mower, in my engine. If that even begins to make sense. It now starts with the noise as soon as I start it up, coming and going, some days more than others.

I've had my husband look at it and he pulled the belt and the noise was still there. My local shop is stumped and requested I take it to a Chevy dealer....which I really don't want to do, considering they want $80 for the first hour, just to diagnose.

In terms of power, I can tell it's more sluggish, probably growing more so with passing time. My RPM's run high when I turn it on, 2000 for the first few minutes, then very low after, 1800-1500. On occasion it will try to die when shifting out of park into reverse.

I've had several people confirm it's not the fan clutch, so we've ruled that out.

Over all, the noise is really awful and terribly embarrassing. I plan on trading it in before the year end and upgrading to a Tahoe, but I'd like to know what's wrong with it before I do. I should also mention little parts are failing, with a higher frequency, the door speaker, one light on my controls panel, things of that nature. I know it won't be too long before bigger and more expensive things start going and I don't want to be around for that.

Please help.
It's your motor mount. I had the same issue with my 2004 TB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts