Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
HP Tuners
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

As some of you may know we already support the Trailblazer SS.
I6 support will be released for the 2006 model year within a week or two.
2005-2002 will follow within 30-45 days thereafter.

We are already past the beta testing stage and will not require people to "sign up". The only requirement is to have the new MPVI interface.

For those of you who are using VCM Suite with the MPVI series interface on other GM vehicles, you only need to add the I6 license.

For a quick glimpse on what VCM suite is and how it works, you can view our online users manual here :
http://www.hptuners.com/help/

For a list of VCM Suite features click here:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2936http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32762#post32762

For some screen shots of the software click here:
http://www.hptuners.com/products-edit.html

To visit our user forum click here:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/

To view some demos of our software in action, click here:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/getting_started_demos.htm

As an original owner of a 2002 Trailblazer EXT 4x4, we are excited to bring I6 tuning capabilities to the public.

VCM Suite Pricing Structure
Base Packages

VCM Suite GM Std - $499 (MPVI Standard)
VCM Suite GM Pro - $649 (MPVI Enhanced I/O)

Regards,

-Ken

HP Tuners LLC
Performance Tuning

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
1,006 Posts
I have a friend who just got your tuner for his GTO. He is telling me that he will do mine for my Envoy once it comes out. So how much is the license for the I6?

EDIT:

It looks like it would take 2 credits that are $50 each so $100 for the I6 license, is this correct? Now if I decide I want to purchase the tune for myself then it is $499 and it comes with 8 credits. Now does this mean that if I use 6 credits I can tune as many trailblazers and Envoys that I want? I kinda like the thought of being able to set my truck up for peformance and then if I am gonna take a trip then I can adjust if to economy. Is this something that I can do with this setup?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Will your software allow users to modify the electronic throttle tables? In other words.. if you were to run into a issue where you were exceeding the maximum expected airflow at a given RPM... would you be able to change that value? The reason that I ask.. is because partial throttle/boost situations have resulted in "Reduced Power Mode" in our testing with the I6/turbo setup.

·
HP Tuners
37 Posts
EnvoyXL said:
I have a friend who just got your tuner for his GTO. He is telling me that he will do mine for my Envoy once it comes out. So how much is the license for the I6?

EDIT:

It looks like it would take 2 credits that are $50 each so $100 for the I6 license, is this correct? Now if I decide I want to purchase the tune for myself then it is $499 and it comes with 8 credits. Now does this mean that if I use 6 credits I can tune as many trailblazers and Envoys that I want? I kinda like the thought of being able to set my truck up for peformance and then if I am gonna take a trip then I can adjust if to economy. Is this something that I can do with this setup?
The I6 licensing is not public yet (but will most likely be the same price as other "similar" models) Credits are used to purchase license types. This give you the most flexibility on whether you want to choose a vin license or model/year. The choice is up to you as both license types can exist on the MPVI interface (ie 2005 model year Vettes and an I6 vin license). When you connect to the vehicle to tune it and you do not have a license for it, the software will ask you what you want to do. From there you pick your license type and use your credits. It's a really neat system. The MPVI interface can hold 408 licenses, so it's unlikely you will ever run out of room. Also licenses can be combined for similar types to purchase the next "license level". Here is a link on how it all works: http://www.hptuners.com/credit_faq.html -Ken

Trav4011 said:
Will your software allow users to modify the electronic throttle tables? In other words.. if you were to run into a issue where you were exceeding the maximum expected airflow at a given RPM... would you be able to change that value? The reason that I ask.. is because partial throttle/boost situations have resulted in "Reduced Power Mode" in our testing with the I6/turbo setup.
Of course. The software would not be of much use without it. -Ken

·
HP Tuners
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HellHawk said:
Hey Ken, will I have to buy a new interface? I have had HP Tuners since 2005, with the serial interface.
Yes it requires the the new MPVI series interface. GM is moving towards CAN based vehicle communications. What is not CAN today will be in a year or two. Besides the MPVI will work with GM/Ford/Dodge for those who own more than one Mfgr. -Ken

·
Registered
101 Posts
HP Tuners said:
Yes it requires the the new MPVI series interface. GM is moving towards CAN based vehicle communications. What is not CAN today will be in a year or two. Besides the MPVI will work with GM/Ford/Dodge for those who own more than one Mfgr. -Ken
So does that mean, I can move my licensed cars over to the MPVI interface (I'd hate to have to carry around multiple cables for the same software).?

EDIT: Eh, nevermind, I'm shooting ya a PM.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
176 Posts
HP Tuners said:
My question is does this work for 2002 Duramax. If I buy one of these I want to be able to pull my Juicebox out and really tune it.

·
HP Tuners
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Valkyrierider said:
My question is does this work for 2002 Duramax. If I buy one of these I want to be able to pull my Juicebox out and really tune it.
I have to check with Chris to see where he is with the Duramax support. We will be adding it, but not until we are done with adding the I4,5,6 support. I4 is done, I5,I6 will be ready at the same time. Then we can concentrate on adding another model. -Ken

·
HP Tuners
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
HP Tuners
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A user from this forum PM'd me with a few questions as a someone who is new to tuning, so I figure I would post some of the response here as it may help others.

The price of VCM Suite with the Pro version is $649.00. That comes with 8 license credits. You can choose a single vin license (2 credits), or model/year (6 credits) for your I6 and tune all your friends I6 of the same model year. Any unused credits will remain in the license for use at a later date (if you want to add another VIN, etc).

You can always add license credits later on for more vehicles @$49.99 per credit. It's a very flexible licensing system where you decide what vehicle to license when you hook to it.

For a wideband, Dynojet Wideband Commander, Innovate LM1 or LC1. The choice is yours. Those run anywhere from $100-$300. Just do a search on the net for their sites. They are a great tool for getting it right using our self tuning histograms in the scanner.

There is about a 2 week learning curve before you are comfortable making advanced changes. Each motor will respond a little differently to tuning changes depending on engine condition and weather. Always make small changes and verify your results with the scanner and you can't go wrong. Saving your previous calibration is a good idea as well. Tuning for track performance is great hobby if you spend the time and are willing to learn from others.

On your tunes, you can create and save as many variations as your heart desires and load them in at any time. You save your calibrations just like you would any other file on your PC. And no I am not laughing. We all had to start somewhere. Most of the guys who knew nothing are now the pros giving great tuning advice on ours and other sites. Don't be afraid to ask and you will be fine.

As for ease of use, you wont find a more intuitive editor/scanner that is easier to configure. You can see what our stuff looks like here http://www.hptuners.com/pr-2_1_10.html

It is very unlikely that you will screw up your truck. I would leave the variable camshaft timing alone until you get a good feel for how it works. Most of your gains will be from eliminating torque management, electronic throttle opening limits, and cleaning the up the overly rich fuel ratio. We have a whole forum dedicated to tuning by those who have been there done that.

I don't know what year I6 you have, but my wife's 2002 lights up like a Christmas tree when I tune it. There are a lot of modules in this thing that talk to each other (Onstar, door modules, body control, tailgate module, etc). Don't worry, you won't kill the VCM with the calibration only write. These trucks have a bad habit of not "shutting up" during the programming process.

If yours turns out to be one of them, I have found it best to let it start the read/write and once it gets to 5% on the progress bar to turn the key off. It makes sure the rest of the things won't talk. For a new guy this can be rather unnerving, but don't worry it's normal.

Hope this helps,
-Ken

·
Registered
2007 gmc
1,244 Posts
Hey KEn,

Well its good news to know your wife has an '02 L6! If I do buy HP, could there be any chance u can save the tune you did to a web folder that we could just download from. I mean i'm sure you have ALOOOOT of experience with HP Tuners, and I'd rather see what an expert has done to the 4.2L before I would try and take mine to extremes.

Plus, whats the difference between the Pro suite and Standard suite????

·
HP Tuners
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trailblazin said:
Hey KEn,

Well its good news to know your wife has an '02 L6! If I do buy HP, could there be any chance u can save the tune you did to a web folder that we could just download from. I mean i'm sure you have ALOOOOT of experience with HP Tuners, and I'd rather see what an expert has done to the 4.2L before I would try and take mine to extremes.

Plus, whats the difference between the Pro suite and Standard suite????
HP Tuners cannot officially offer tuning advice or calibrations, but our users will most likely start using this site for sharing their own custom tunes.
http://www.horist.com/hptuner/

The difference between Pro/Standard is the hardware. The Pro comes with the 4 A/D inputs to interface between aftermarket wideband O2 controllers, two outputs to control lights/relays based on scanner data, and stand alone flight recorder capability.

-Ken

·
Registered
2007 gmc
1,244 Posts
HP Tuners said:
The difference between Pro/Standard is the hardware. The Pro comes with the 4 A/D inputs to interface between aftermarket wideband O2 controllers, two outputs to control lights/relays based on scanner data, and stand alone flight recorder capability.

-Ken
So the Pro package is pretty much for someone who has more then enough experience to deal with anything that may be used on an engine... If i bought the HP i would probably just set something up for the basic mods like intakes, headers, exhaust, basically bolt ons...and then in time once I got more experienced, I'd upgrade if that was possible...

And with the STD package, would this limit me from doing anything?? I mean forget about the Wideband O2 sensor.. Im sure the amount of ppl here in kuwait that have used one i could count on my hand. The lights and relays, are these for aftermarket gauges??

The only thing I think I would miss is the stand alone flight recorder. But as I do not own a low 12 sec car, let alone low 13, I don't really mind for not having this option just yet...

·
HP Tuners
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trailblazin said:
And with the STD package, would this limit me from doing anything?? I mean forget about the Wideband O2 sensor.. Im sure the amount of ppl here in kuwait that have used one i could count on my hand. The lights and relays, are these for aftermarket gauges??
There is no difference in what you can tune between Standard/Pro.

People use the lights/relays to monitor things like knock retard/AFR so they can get a visual warning.

As you stated some people don't want all the bells/whistles, so that is why we offer two interfaces. Not much sense in paying for something if you are never going to use it.

-Ken

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Ken I just got my MPVI for my 02 Z06 and i want to mess around with my Envoy too. Is there any info or how to's for tranny tuning? My Envoy seems lazy when it comes to downshifting on the hwy-I want to see if I can adjust that. I would like to add that this is an awesome product guys-there are so many nice features with this unit-if you have a family of chevy's and like to mees around this is for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts