Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering a few things about this tuner.
For my Crown Vic I have an SVT Turner and I can install a few different mods it has on it and I can remove them at will....... It is locked to 1 car at a time.

I dont want the PCMforless due to I can not remove the mod whenever I feel like it.

Can the HP Tuner restore the vehicle back to how it was on a whim? Storing its present setup to a file I guess mod it then put it back?
Does the HPTuner have a few setups already on it?
Like mods specific to a CAI system and or dual exhaust editions?
I see it used a credit system coming new with 8 credits and I see for the 02 envoy it says it is 2 credits but 6 credits per year....
What is this 6 credits year thing?

thanks.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
419 Posts
Yup, you read a stock file and then make a copy and do your tuning to it. So you can put the stock file back on whenever you feel like it.

The HPTuners repository has a few tunes on it, but i recommend learning how to tune yourself and make a tune.

It's 2 credits to tune your own vehicle and its 6 credits to tune the 200* whatever years your is vehicles for everyone who has that year.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, you read a stock file and then make a copy and do your tuning to it. So you can put the stock file back on whenever you feel like it.

The HPTuners repository has a few tunes on it, but i recommend learning how to tune yourself and make a tune.

It's 2 credits to tune your own vehicle and its 6 credits to tune the 200* whatever years your is vehicles for everyone who has that year.
You mean 2 credits so I can do what I want, 6 credits to use one that was already made for my year?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,240 Posts
I "think" it means if you buy 2 credits, you can tune your TB vin only, but if you buy 6 credits you can tune all TB vins of the same year. I bought 2 credits for my 07 TB vin, If I bought 6 credits, I could tune all 07 TB vins.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,111 Posts
HP Tuners comes with 8 credits. Typically it takes 2 of those credits for tuning your vehicle. The remaining 6 can be used to tune similar vehicles that your friends might have. Here is an example from HP's website...

Enthusiast with one LS1 vehicle, and one LS2 vehicle:
- Single Vehicle LS1 license (2 credits)
- Single Vehicle LS2 license (2 credits)
- 4 credits remaining (eg. could license a friends LS1 car/truck and another friends LS2 car/truck)

The first thing you do when you buy it is to save your current tune to a file. Then you are always able to go back to stock if you wish. This is simple to do and takes roughly 5 minutes. What is not easy is modifying the tune. If you are not ECM/TCM savvy, you will need a mentor to help you learn the basics of this software. I've been using it to tweek my truck for 2 years now, changing the tune when I add mods, and I am still a rookie at it. I have a mentor and would be lost without him. These are things to consider when purchasing HP Tuners.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
419 Posts
I suggest everyone who is interested in getting the tools to read up on hptuners and efilive forums, and even sign up for thetuningschool

Each of these places has a crazy amount of information that you could ever ask for. You need to be knowledgeable to tune the more extreme parts of an engine, but stuff like fuel and ignition are cakework mostly if you have a wideband. It gets tricky sometimes when you have to do SD and MAF stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.