Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My 05 Ext TB's tranny went out in Aneheim, Ca.

I have to tow it back to Phoenix, AZ, about 350 miles. Is there anything special I need to do before I can tow it?
I will be driving an 07 Avalanche and was thinking of renting a 2 wheel tow dolly. If that can't be done then I will have to rent a trailer big enough to fit the whole truck.

If I use the dolly, is it best to have the rear wheels on the ground? Any info is appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Just to make sure you don't damage anything further, put the selector into neutral.....its just past the 4Lo setting, no marking, you turn the knob to it and a red 'N' will illuminate. That will disconnect the rear axle from the transfer case and transmission. Loads easier than crawling under and disconnecting the drive-shaft. - I don't recall, but it might even be possible to flat tow it in 'Neutral', the manual may even mention it.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Well, you're lucky that it's a 4WD TB, not a 2WD or AWD... A trailer is always best, but if you're going to use a dolly, you can put the transfer case in Neutral, and put the rear wheels on the ground... The procedure for getting the T-case in Neutral is in the owners manual, but I think you put it in 4LO or something, then rotate the switch farther over to the right and hold it there for a few seconds, until the "N" light stays on... Anyway, it's in the manual...

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... it might even be possible to flat tow it in 'Neutral', the manual may even mention it.
The manual mentions it, but that's for folks who want to go to the expense of adding a tow bracket to the vehicle, like full-time RV'ers who tow behind their motor home. And the RV'ers also add an expensive remote control braking gadget to control the towed vehicles brakes, since in many jurisdictions you need brakes on towed items over a certain weight.

Let's see...... yep. CA and AZ both have 3000 pound limits.

Abandon the idea of an interstate flat or 2WD tow. Rent a trailer, and tell the rental agency you're going to put a Honda Civic on the trailer, unless you do the math and the trailer and tow vehicle are BOTH capable of your gross load. Anonymously calling UHaul may be a good first step.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the good info. I will see what it costs to rent a dolly/trailer, if they are close i will probably get the trailer.
If for some reason it wont go into neutral, can i disconnect the rear driveshaft from where it connects to the rear differential and hold it off to the side with a strap or something?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Four small bolts and the rear u-joint comes apart. Then you can slide the driveshaft rearwards to disengage it from the splined slipjoint at the end of the transfer case.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
44 Posts
Dolly is ok for short distances. Trailer for anything more than 100mi. This is just my personal preference and what I go by. Put it on a trailer and you won't be wearing any parts on the trailblazer.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
397 Posts
Using a trailer will make your Avalanche more manly.:tiphat

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
113 Posts
Rent a trailer.
How does U-Haul manage to get the darn things to weigh 2,200 lbs. empty? Lots of extra weight to be hauling around, especially when you're planning on putting a 4,600 lb. GMT360 on it ;) I know, I know, I've seen the pics of the epic Roadiemobile tow back from Colorado... :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it is looking more and more like my best option is going to be renting a one-way 2 wheel dolly. That is going to run me about $110 through Uhaul.
The reason I like this option is because I can drive to Anaheim without pulling anything, and also it will be less weight overall that I am pulling if I am using a dolly instead of a full trailer. So less gas and less wear and tear on the Avalanche I am thinking.

But, I am waiting to see if a friend of a friend can let me borrow his trailer, which can carry the whole truck. This would of course mean I will have to haul the empty trailer 350+ miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Four small bolts and the rear u-joint comes apart. Then you can slide the driveshaft rearwards to disengage it from the splined slipjoint at the end of the transfer case.
I see it is very simple to remove the driveshaft so I will do that, I know some of you mention putting the transfer case into Neutral, but I would just feel better if I pulled it off.

Do I need to do anything once I pull off the driveshaft? Will fluid leak out from the slipjoint end? Do I need to cover the hole with anything? Thanks.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
651 Posts
So overly complicated...

Put the transfer case into neutral, and flat tow it home. Dont forget to put some magnet lights on the back, and give yourself plenty of extra braking distance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts