Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Sorry, but I have a different view. Your first sentence seems to contradict your opinion. Some "detergents and other cleaners" are ok in oil but not this concentrated one? My experience with Mercury Marine two cycle high pressure DI motors is that it eliminates carbon build up. Granted two cycles burn oil in the combustion chamber but that only strengthens the case. Four cycle motors also burn oil although at a much lower rate when healthy. As to fuel system problems again, modern DI marine motors pressurize fuel to very high pressures and have very complex dual stage pumps/injectors. Long term use of this product has proven harmless to those systems to the best of my knowledge. So while I would agree that someone who has owned their vehicle since new, only put the best oils and fuel in their vehicle, and always perfectly maintained their vehice may have little need. Carbon build up and other deposites do occur. They do have negative effects. And, this product has proven itself to me to remove them.
Then use that bottle of seafoam run it in everything if it makes you happy. I am yet to see ANY auto maker recomend it. As I recall a few years back GM had a bulletin on the use of engine flushing products (DON'T DO IT). The reason for this was that they found it did more harm than good. How you may ask, bearing oil clearance is very important and pretty tight now days. These engine flush products can actually "strip" the bearings of this thin film of oil, were as the detergents in your engine oil DO NOT. If it makes you happy go for it, as a Master Tech you will not convince me it is needed. The majority of my knowlege is in diesel engines, our engine oils have to do a little more work than that of a gas engine. I have learned more about engine oils than I ever thought I would need to know and they keep changing to adapt to modern engines needs. One last thing please tell me more about your hight injections pressures, (CRD) Common Rail Diesel engines are on average running a system around 26,000-30,000 psi. I may know a thing or two about high pressure injection systems. Even the modern Gas DI engines are still low compared to diesel injection. I'm sure those DI gas injectors are as complex as piezo injectors, that can inject 5-6 times on one cycle per cylinder. One large injection JUST BEFORE TDC then 4-5 micro injections as the piston is going down on its power stroke. Your injection systems most likey came from our diesel systems...diesel have been DI for a long time.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
When I was in Diesel school they show us engines both with the same millage on it and one used oil cleaner and the damage thru out!It strips the oil protection and causes metal on metal contact!I've only used sea foam in the intake system.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8 Posts
curious or fishing...

I was told that cleaning the throttle body will help the entire car (of course way it runs BUT lights and other stuff as well) can elaboration be given... some say clean it with sea foam some say no. will someone give a flat statement................. it costly if sumn goes wrong?

I know you hafta pay to play... Thanks:bonk:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
I'm about to do this to my 02 Envoy, but I don't have any history of maintenance from the previous owner, I've had it for 1 year now, should I?
There's this knocking sound coming from the engine, I don't know what it is but its rhythmic with the engine.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
I have heard that some people just use plain tap water to de carbon their engines. They have suggested to put it into the air intake, but I am assuming that is a bad idea with the MAF that is is behind the throttle body on these vehicles. Since you are putting sea foam down through the Brake Booster Line, could a little bit of water do similar things with less possible damage to the engine. By little bit I mean using a spray bottle so its really only drops of water at a time, but the water turns to steam and the steam brakes up the carbon.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
I don't know about water, I've heard about water as well but I'm not sure about it.
I used seafoam and it worked, not that much of a difference but I do notice some improvement in the low end of the rev range, more torque, but just a slight difference, enough to be noticed.

But, the knocking is still there, I'm not worried anymore about it, it's been there for months without any damage or difference in the engine, but I still wonder what it is.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
11 Posts
Seafoam in Crankcase or not?

06 TB 4.2 replaced VVT 2 times with a Dorman Broke dwn and went with an AC DElco, Replaced the Crankshaft and Camshaft position Sensor. Still pulling a p0017. Should I attempt the seafoam in the crankcase, to possible free up any possible blockage?

·
Registered
18 Posts
water would be the safest to clean the pistons and spark plugs, heads ect. if you ever have a engine that had a slow head gasket leak that cyclinder will pretty much be spotless, I would just run a line to the intake and squirt a few shots of water in a 60-70mph all its going to due is turn to steam and out goes the carbon, yeah you might get a few warning lights show up but they will go away, now why are you getting all this carbon in the 1st place?? unless you got over 200k on a engine you might need to due a carbon cleaning but 50k or 90k I seriously doubt you would notice the difference. I got a 97 Nissan sentra GLX just turned over 380,000 miles all I have done to it is change oil and filers, two AC compressors , one altenator, couple sets of spark plugs mainly due to oil leak from valve cover oil leaks down on top of plug and well self explanatory. had one of those cameras your hook to your iPhone and stuck it down the spark hole yeah theres some carbon but nothing to cause me to throw some cleaner in there. If it anit broke don't fix it

141 - 150 of 150 Posts