Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
397 Posts
Probably is clean then. The majority of the smoke will be created after pouring into the boost line, and from the remaining in the gas tank. The seafoam in the crankcase doesn't get burned off, it is enclosed along with the oil. I have never added seafoam after an oil change, but they say if you do it, put it in before you start the engine up when the oil is clean. Not sure that too many guys actually do that though.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Seafoamed mine today. I used the spray version I picked up at O'reilly's for $12.99 after reading and watching their video about Vortecs. Very simple to use with the nozzle and tip. Got some white smoke after using about a half a can and waiting 10 minutes instead of the the 5 on the can. I might do it again just before my oil change next month. Seems to idle smoother.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
Seafoamed mine today. I used the spray version I picked up at O'reilly's for $12.99 after reading and watching their video about Vortecs. Very simple to use with the nozzle and tip. Got some white smoke after using about a half a can and waiting 10 minutes instead of the the 5 on the can. I might do it again just before my oil change next month. Seems to idle smoother.
Spray only get 1/2 the TB clean!You need to take the TB off and clean the back side of it!

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Spray only get 1/2 the TB clean!You need to take the TB off and clean the back side of it!
Didn't use the seafoam to clean the throttlebody-that was taken off and cleaned earlier. The spray is according to their website and some posts a better way to get it in all the cylinders.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
397 Posts
I had mine revved to about 1800-2000 rpm when i did mine recently while pouring into the boost line. it didn't smoke hardly at all during this, as it usually does. then after completing the other doses, it barely smoked in comparison to times before. i had never revved the rpm's up before but thought it might suck in more air and spray go in more evenly.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
I know I'm new and I know I'm going to catch hell for this. But for all of those doing this I would't recomend it. I am on my way to being a master tech and you are risking alot dumping this overpriced kerosene in every pace you can put it. I had to sit through a few seminars on fuels and fluids and addatives, the Seafoam is a joke. It is well advertised and uninformed people love it to death because "my dad used it or my grandfather used it". Those engines they used it in are very crude compared to modern designs. Not to mention the all Seafoam really is, is a few tablespoons of kerosene and some extra chemicals that don't do much. If still think I'm wrong then prove it to me, show me were GM recomends the use of this product. Your engine oils contain detergents and other cleaners. Change your oil and run a good filter, you would never believe how clean an egine with proper maintenance is on the inside. I could be wrong though but GM engineers did spent alot on this engine to find out what works and what doesn't. Seafoam isn't a cure all wonder chemical.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
6 Posts
I agree with Mets, if you take care of your engine with good quality oil, and keep your cooling system in good shape, you shouldn't have to "flush" your engine with these types of cleaners to remove cooked on oil deposits. This also applies to the fuel you use, try not to use gas from "weird" gas stations. As far as the throttle body goes, yeah it does occasionally need cleaned with intake/carb cleaner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well said Fleetwood.

Cooling system maintenance is more serious than most think....about 40% of engine failures can be traced back to poor cooling system perfomance.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
19 Posts
im 17 and was wondering is this easy?? Ive cleaned my throttle body and that was pretty easy, i know this isnt half the time but is it scary, or should i worry doing this?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
25 Posts
seafoam treatment

Can you also pour seafoam past the TBI after cleaning the TBI?

I will try this 3part pour when I am close to the next oil change (which might be awhile as I just switched to full synthetic oil).

Thanks
Art

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your engine oils contain detergents and other cleaners. Change your oil and run a good filter, you would never believe how clean an egine with proper maintenance is on the inside.
Sorry, but I have a different view. Your first sentence seems to contradict your opinion. Some "detergents and other cleaners" are ok in oil but not this concentrated one? My experience with Mercury Marine two cycle high pressure DI motors is that it eliminates carbon build up. Granted two cycles burn oil in the combustion chamber but that only strengthens the case. Four cycle motors also burn oil although at a much lower rate when healthy. As to fuel system problems again, modern DI marine motors pressurize fuel to very high pressures and have very complex dual stage pumps/injectors. Long term use of this product has proven harmless to those systems to the best of my knowledge. So while I would agree that someone who has owned their vehicle since new, only put the best oils and fuel in their vehicle, and always perfectly maintained their vehice may have little need. Carbon build up and other deposites do occur. They do have negative effects. And, this product has proven itself to me to remove them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One other note. After seing how effective it is at removing these deposites I have to agree also that the stuff I have seen coming from the exhaust of treated motors I would not want in my Cat. So I will think carefully about how to proceed. Disconecting the cat will throw codes and I believe there are some post cat sensors that effect fuel mixture.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
What happened?

I did the throttle body cleaning and about 1/2 can of seafoam through the brake booster vacuum line yesterday. Now the vehicle runs terrible. Runs very rough with both the SES AND REP lights staying on. Throwing 5 to 6 codes, all having to do with TPS positioning and transmission shift solenoids. Any ideas?????? Could the REP be from the cat getting clogged? Why transmission shift solenoid issues resulting from this?

·
Banned
2,762 Posts
Take the battery off for 1/2 hr then connect and take it for a long ride!Now that you clean(specially taking the TB off and cleaned it) it has to relearn new setting.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Thanks

I actually left the battery unhooked all night last night and started it back up this morning. Most issues seem to have been corrected. Took it on a short drive and getting a multiple/random misfire code. Running very rough, rougher than before the maintenance. Exhaust is sounding as if converter may very well be clogged. Should I drive for a longer distance even though the flashing SES light is showing up? Don't want to cause any unnecessary damage, assuming the cat isn't already beyond that.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
5 Posts
Sea Foam Engine Intake Cleaner Spray (12 oz.)

I used it as per instructions and it idles smooth hasnt detonated going up inclines either..keeping my fingers crossed..

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
As a Mechanic I don't see the need for Sea Foam. Use fuel that is on the TopTierFuel.com web site, change your oil and filter (NAPA 1522) every 5,000 miles if you run full synthetic oil change your filter and fop off at 5,000 and do a full change every 10,000, change your fuel filter (Napa Gold 3129) every 15,000 miles!!!! (yes, I know the book says 30,000) Do it at 15k anyway, your fuel pump will love you for it, Change air filter or clean as needed and run a quality fuel injector cleaner like LUCAS at oil change intervals and you will be just fine without the fear of CAT Clogg.

Doesn't hurt to clean the throttle body every now and then just be sure to PULL THE FUSES #10 & 28!!!! Battery disconnect WILL NOT reset the PCM's:hissy: Battery MUST BE Connected to reset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you run full synthetic oil change your filter and fop off at 5,000 and do a full change every 10,000
As a Auto/Diesel Master Tech I agree with every thing you said except this. Unless you have your oil sent in for regular analysis, you have no Idea on what condition it is really in. Change as recommended by manufacturer in owners manual. There is a reason why companies like CATERPILLAR do regular analysis samples, when you work on very large expensive equipment you want to know when you need to change it. You can also find out how good that oil really is and how good or bad of shape your engine is in.

In the case of changing synthetic every 10,000 hey you are going by what the oil maker says, I'm not going to say they are wrong but will they give you a solid answer on if its good or not. I am pretty sure every bottle of synthetic I have seen says to fallow your manufactures recommended maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
I agree with you when you are working in extreme conditions and maintenance is not priority one. I have 15 years experience in the constuction equipment business myself and have sent oil samples out for years. In general it is good information to have for warranty purposes so long as the person at the labb is testing properly. In 15 years the lab missed on 4 samples. I ALWAYS found my proof in the filter. Low and behold I tore down the engine and found all the pieces to the puzzle. The District Service Rep had no problem approving a tare down after seeing what was in the filter.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance is the key always :thumbsup:

121 - 140 of 150 Posts