Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some sea foam through my brake booster a couple months back, and it didnt really smoke light the previous applications ive done on different cars. Im thinking maybe the brake booster does not go to all cylinders, as in the cars ive done before? If not where do you guys put the sea foam to feed all the cylinders correctly and for best results?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I did mine about a month or so back, 70k on the truck. I did it through the booster line and it smoked a good amount. I'm pretty certain the booster line application is full coverage. Maybe there wasn't that much to clean out in your case. How much did you use? I did 1/3rd the can in the fuel tank, 1/3 in the booster line, and 1/3 in the oil... changed my oil the next day...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
117 Posts
thats where i put it is in the brake booster line and the fuel tank..mine didnt smoke that bad the second time i did it either

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive only done it once, its close to 100k miles, and it taps when its cold, so assumed i had a good deal of sludge, or other crap that would make it smoke a little more then it did, also ive only done is on lil 4 cylinder cars, and they smoked about 3x as much as the trailblazer, i did do 1/3 of the can. I have new plugs, and new o2 sensor im putting in for the hell of it tomorrow, so i want to try it again before i put that stuff in. I guess ill try the brake booster line again :-/

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tapping is from the cold thicker oil. What are you using, type and weight?,thicker
I used mobil clean 5000 5-30

just changed it again w. the same mobil except 10-30 this time
i was always told to use thicker oil on older/noisier engines

I bought the truck from a girl with like 90k miles so im assuming she might of forgot to change the oil from time to time, and build up some sludge around lifters etc. Although some engine noise is probably normal for this engine, im just anal. I seafoamed last time before oil change, plan to do it the next couple times as well clean 'er out good

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Pretty sure the I6 doesnt have the sludge problems the Toyota motors do, my mom's RX300 definitely had sludge build-up that magically disappeared a few months ago. Dont ask me how, I ran engine flush and everything through it (my solution was to ditch the car because I hate it) and used Amsoil, weird.

And switch to synthetic to remedy the cold lifter tap, Mobil Clean 5000 is dino oil. Use regular M1 5W-30 or M1 Extended Performance, both are true synthetics.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
10W-30 is not the right oil. If you want to "de-sludge" which you probably don't have, but this won't hurt either. Run a can of Seafoam in the oil for about 500 miles. Then change the oil and filter. Put in Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30. This is an excellent high mileage oil, and protects well against seal leaks.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
10W-30 is not the right oil. If you want to "de-sludge" which you probably don't have, but this won't hurt either. Run a can of Seafoam in the oil for about 500 miles. Then change the oil and filter. Put in Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30. This is an excellent high mileage oil, and protects well against seal leaks.
500 miles is way to much to runs seafoam on. I would recommend no more than 100 miles, 150 at most. Seafoam is a great way to get sludge out of the engine when its in the crankcase. As for getting the smoke, i did it on mine for the first time at over 130k miles and didn't get much smoke either, and i used half a can. the less smoke you have, the less carbon build-up is in your engine, which is a good thingthere's a video of it on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tbI-W0uRA8I

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nothing wrong with 10-30...the difference from 5/10-30 doesnt have much to do with sludge, its when you dont change it often enough then you get sludge,

on the other hand.. 500miles is way too much, especially with 5-30 probably thins the **** out of ur oil..100 miles is about perfect.

ANyway, i seafoamed it again, through the brake booster, got a pretty good smoke show this time, for some reasin the TB seems to last forever longer then anything else ive ever done. it just keeps wanting to puff smoke forever..lol
Also did the spark plugs,and o2 sensor , and cleaned throttle body and roof rack.lol (changed all locks, driver door, ignition, glove box and lowering springs yesterday, been a long ass week).. hopefully a noticeable increase in MPG(was getting steady 15 lately), no CEL but o2 sensor looked kinda toasty, black as hell one half, and light brown (lean) on the other, weird anyway we'll c

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
code for both o2's? Usually the one after the cat u dont have to touch unless CEL, but the upper one can be crap without a CEL
Im not getting too good of mileage still about 350 a tank on freeway, but I also drive 80-90, and just put 22's and had AC, and alot of uphill, so i suppose in the end it wasnt too bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts