Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
141 Posts
I've tried maybe 15 times, I followed the forum guidelines, nothing. There is no way I'm going a year without changing the oil to wait for the light to come on, old school I guess. I go about 4k between changes and I never see the oil change light come on except the bulb check at start-up. Normally I take it in to have it done and I assume they have been resetting the light because I never see it. However I decided to change it myself this time because I wanted to put in Valvoline Maxlife, supposed to recondition the seals to stop leaks, I have used this on 2 different Jeeps to cure a rear main bearing leak and it worked both times FYI, I don't have any leaks on the Envoy but at 166k it's only a matter of time. The oil that came out of it from the local lube shop looked like black water, in my opinion completely wasted, and that was only after 4k. So from now on I do it myself. The question is, how do I reset the light, even though it never comes on I would still like to reset it. Will I see some sign telling me it's actually worked, light flashing or something? It's a build date 04-01, SLE Envoy, no info cluster. Thanks for the info.
on mines it took 3 tries and done just dont press it too fast!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
69 Posts
how long have you let it go between oil changes? im sure mine takes more than 6 months before it comes on. just change your oil regularly and wait to see if the light ever comes on. i only use synthetic in mine and i dont worry about it. these new engines and new oils can go way more than the old 5000 km/3000mi oil changes. just a thought if you were going to a quick lube place i doubt they would be resetting the light but if you were going to a GM dealership for the oil changes they probably would reset it. who knows?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
62 Posts
As i stated in my post of 5/7/10 after pressing the gas pedal three times the key must be left in the on position until the light blinks then turn off and restart.
To reiterate...

The owner's manual says to turn the key to run, press the pedal three times, and then switch the key off. (I think mine says "lock".)

It would appear that the manual got it wrong. I tried it about 15 times in a row today, with no success.
(The dogs just went nuts! "What the hell is he doing?" :weird: )

Going to try the way suggested here.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
45 Posts
open the switch but don't start the truck, press 3 times the gas pedal all the way; at the third time keep pressed until the light goes out then release the pedal and close the switch. ;)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
94 Posts
open the switch but don't start the truck, press 3 times the gas pedal all the way; at the third time keep pressed until the light goes out then release the pedal and close the switch. ;)
Thank you, this way worked for me:

Turn key to ON, press the gas pedal all the way to the floor 3 times, on the 3rd time keep the pedal pressed down all the way and hold it... after a few seconds the Change Oil Light will blink a few times then go out... release the gas pedal then start the car.
Thats it.

Worked on my '04 Envoy XL SLE

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
37 Posts
finally

the key point mentioned earlier is that you MUST HAVE THE ODOMETER SET TO MILES NOT TRIP... i went crazy for weeks trying everything and that was it...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
11 Posts
Can I change the range of the % display? IOW, just for talking say that 100% used up oil relates to 500,000 crank revolutions. That's great for dino oil. Can it be set so 100% is 1,500,000 revolutions which is more in line with synthetic oil?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
This is for trailvoys without the drivers information center.

1 - turn the key to the run position (do not start)
2 - fully press and release the gas pedal 3 times in 5 seconds
3 - start the engine and verify that the light went out
Hey, just a FYI. This information is in your owners manual if you have it. It also tell you that, the vehicle will let you know when its time to change the oil.
Thank you for this info. I had no idea how to shut that thing off.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts