Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
69 Posts
That Scan Gauge is a wicked idea. Id love to know what mileage im getting. i think ill get myself one for xmas.:yes:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
:iagree: The Oil Life IS Stored On A Non-Versitle Chip. (Removing The Battery Will NOT Reset The Oil Life). I notice we both have the same year TB's. I have a Scan Guage II installed in my TB. When my oil life goes down to 10% i change the oil, reset the OLM system by turning key to run, pressing gas petal 3x's within 5 seconds, and the light will blink a few times, then i turn off & then start the engine. Light stays off and the Scan Guage II says 100 on the oil life. I guess it depends on everyones year for their TB. When you reset it on the older ones the light goes off, but probably on 04-05+ higher the light blinks a few times. The OLM does not have to be at 10% either in order for you to reset it. It can be at any percent and if you follow the instructions in your owners manual it resets the OLM. I don't know why so many people have problems like having to reset it 4-5 times or so. I only do it ONCE and it ALWAYS WORKS. The best thing i can tell everyone is just to follow the way it says in the owners manual. :yes: :raspberry
Just tossing that out there about leaving the key in run for a few seconds. My manual doesn't say anything about that, makes it look like you can just hit the pedal 3x, start the engine, and everything is good to go. So, when I started the engine and the OLM light was still on...:hissy:!! I have changed the oil 3 times in mine and can't seem to remember to do that so...quick fix - I took a pen and wrote my own addendum to the reset instructions in the manual "Leave the key alone until the light flashes, dummy"!! :thumbsup:

Oh, how I long for a DIC! (but not what you pervs are thinking...:nono:) Y'all have a Merry Christmas!:grouphug:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just tossing that out there about leaving the key in run for a few seconds. My manual doesn't say anything about that, makes it look like you can just hit the pedal 3x, start the engine, and everything is good to go. So, when I started the engine and the OLM light was still on...:hissy:!! I have changed the oil 3 times in mine and can't seem to remember to do that so...quick fix - I took a pen and wrote my own addendum to the reset instructions in the manual "Leave the key alone until the light flashes, dummy"!! :thumbsup:

Oh, how I long for a DIC! (but not what you pervs are thinking...:nono:) Y'all have a Merry Christmas!:grouphug:
There is a way to install a DIC in the trailblazer. the article is here: http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=113 you can be the first one to try and confirm that it will work in a 05 LS. If you do decide to try it, let me know if you succeed and maybe i will do the same. lol. :undecided

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wouldnt it be alot easier to just get the scan gauge? Upgrading to the DIC system involves replacing the gauge cluster and the steering wheel. I would definately rather have the DIC system but wouldnt it be alot more $$$$ for the same thing?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wouldnt it be alot easier to just get the scan gauge? Upgrading to the DIC system involves replacing the gauge cluster and the steering wheel. I would definately rather have the DIC system but wouldnt it be alot more $$$$ for the same thing?
It would be alot easier to get the Scan Guage II. & It Is Cheaper. :D

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
37 Posts
Thank you May03LT!

Was wondering if I was going to have to take my TB to the dealer because I didn't see the procedure in the owner's manual, but your proven procedure worked beautifully. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
11 Posts
Ok I have a question. My "Change Engine Oil" light comes on when I start the vehicle and stays on for about 10 seconds after all the other standard lights at startup go off. I have changed my oil and I have tried resetting it based on this thread and what is in the manual. It continues to stay on for the brief period and I can't get it to stop. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ok I have a question. My "Change Engine Oil" light comes on when I start the vehicle and stays on for about 10 seconds after all the other standard lights at startup go off. I have changed my oil and I have tried resetting it based on this thread and what is in the manual. It continues to stay on for the brief period and I can't get it to stop. Any suggestions??
Are you going all the way to the floor and all the way back up with the gas pedal? 3 times in 5 seconds; that seems quick, but be sure you get full travel on the pedal. After the third time, let it sit...feet on the floor and hands in your lap...don't touch anything. In just a few seconds your light should start flashing. Then it will go out and the OLM is reset. At that point you can turn the key and restart the engine and the light goes out with the others like normal. Past those things, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
11 Posts
Are you going all the way to the floor and all the way back up with the gas pedal? 3 times in 5 seconds; that seems quick, but be sure you get full travel on the pedal. After the third time, let it sit...feet on the floor and hands in your lap...don't touch anything. In just a few seconds your light should start flashing. Then it will go out and the OLM is reset. At that point you can turn the key and restart the engine and the light goes out with the others like normal. Past those things, I'm not sure.
Thank you so much. That worked.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Works great!

The change oil light has been on for the extended period after startup for a couple of weeks and I knew there was a way to reset it but couldn't recall it until I found this forum. Just went out and did the procedure and it worked after the second time. I don't know why I don't just come here when I have a question instead of spending time in other places and not finding an answer. Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ya theres tons of info on here. After finding this site there isnt much i wont do myself on my TB. I changed my oil for the first time 7000km ago wich is longer than iv ever gone with any other vehicle. It feels weird but i guess you gotta trust the oil life program is doing its job.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
all this talk about getting a scan gauge and there being 30% of your oil life left.....what ever happened to changing your oil at 3,000 miles????.. the light is like the low gas light,,,its not there to tell you its time,,its there to remind you youre waiting to long and your lucks about up.:dielaugh:

·
Registered
69 Posts
With the oils these days when you get to 3,000 miles, your oil isnt even broken in yet. Most damage occures when the oil is still new and hasnt been broken in yet. Alot of manufacturers reccomend changing oil at 24000 miles or once a year. You could change your oil every day if you wanted to but youd be doing way more damage than good.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
I had to leave the key in the "run" position for 20-30 seconds after the gas pedal pumping to get the light to reset. The way the manual said, "turning the key to off" wouldnt work. Thnaks for the great info !!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ya it is kind of a tricky procedure. I'm not sure what the General was thinking when he came up with it. Mine worked for me the first try. But who knows, next time might take me all day:laugh:

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Is there a way to determine what percentage the oil life is at (other than a window sticker) if you just have the change oil light system? I'd like to know where things are at ahead of time .... rather than just have the change oil light go on in the middle of a long road trip.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts