Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
OP, did you shoot this video at Charlisle, or did you still have the window plackard up when you got home and took the video?

Either way, mine usually takes three or four attempts to get it done. Atleast I know I am doing it the right way.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
Hey, just a FYI. This information is in your owners manual if you have it. It also tell you that, the vehicle will let you know when its time to change the oil.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
69 Posts
will the oil light reset itself it you disconnect the battery? or will taking certain fuses out reset it? i dont have the DIC system so i cant check the percentage thats left. i just changed to synthetic but i still dont want to go past a regular interval.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will the oil light reset itself it you disconnect the battery? or will taking certain fuses out reset it? i dont have the DIC system so i cant check the percentage thats left. i just changed to synthetic but i still dont want to go past a regular interval.
As far as I know this is the only way.

I wonder if the reset procedure would work prior to the light coming on.:undecided

·
Registered
69 Posts
well im just worried that if i only have say 30% oil life left and i change my battery for some reason will it reset back to 100% oil life left or would it stay at 30%. i dont think the manual says anything bout this. i wish i had the DIC system.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
well im just worried that if i only have say 30% oil life left and i change my battery for some reason will it reset back to 100% oil life left or would it stay at 30%. i dont think the manual says anything bout this. i wish i had the DIC system.
Stays at 30%, the computer keeps the info. My light came on last week and I have lost battery power between that and the prior oil change. I got right at 9,000 miles (about 10 months) between changes.

Another note...on mine anyway, when resetting the OLM, after pressing the accelerator 3x, I have to leave the key in the run position for a few seconds. The oil change light will flash and go out. After that, I turn it to lock and then start the engine. Only way I have found that my change light will go out on restarting. Otherwise it comes right back on.

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
1,012 Posts
As far as I know this is the only way.

I wonder if the reset procedure would work prior to the light coming on.:undecided
The reset procedure works at any percentage - when I first got my Rainier I put in cheap 20w-50 and ran it to about 93%. Then I came across this site, did a change to Mobile-1 5w30 and did the reset again - no probs. What's funny is that I've been using the gas pedal method even though I have the DIC b/c that's what the manual shows and it always takes 3-4 tries...now that I think about it, I bet holding the steering wheel reset button does it too and much easier ;)

Also for those asking, I had my battery disconnected for 2 days once and it kept all the figures, even the oil life.

·
Registered
69 Posts
well its good to hear that the info wouldnt be lost. i just bought my TB recently and have no idea what the oil change history was or what oil they were using so i put in some valvoline full synthetic right away and reset the oil light without any problems. i thought it might be tricky but mine reset on the first try.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Stays at 30%, the computer keeps the info. My light came on last week and I have lost battery power between that and the prior oil change. I got right at 9,000 miles (about 10 months) between changes.
Another note...on mine anyway, when resetting the OLM, after pressing the accelerator 3x, I have to leave the key in the run position for a few seconds. The oil change light will flash and go out. After that, I turn it to lock and then start the engine. Only way I have found that my change light will go out on restarting. Otherwise it comes right back on.
:iagree: The Oil Life IS Stored On A Non-Versitle Chip. (Removing The Battery Will NOT Reset The Oil Life). I notice we both have the same year TB's. I have a Scan Guage II installed in my TB. When my oil life goes down to 10% i change the oil, reset the OLM system by turning key to run, pressing gas petal 3x's within 5 seconds, and the light will blink a few times, then i turn off & then start the engine. Light stays off and the Scan Guage II says 100 on the oil life. I guess it depends on everyones year for their TB. When you reset it on the older ones the light goes off, but probably on 04-05+ higher the light blinks a few times. The OLM does not have to be at 10% either in order for you to reset it. It can be at any percent and if you follow the instructions in your owners manual it resets the OLM. I don't know why so many people have problems like having to reset it 4-5 times or so. I only do it ONCE and it ALWAYS WORKS. The best thing i can tell everyone is just to follow the way it says in the owners manual. :yes: :raspberry

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is that Scan Gauge II an easy install? Ill have to check it out. I would love to know at what percent im at.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is that Scan Gauge II an easy install? Ill have to check it out. I would love to know at what percent im at.
Not hard at all. It plugs into the TB's computer port just underneath (left) of the steering wheel. i mounted mine just ahead of the instrument panel cluster (so when i am sitting in the drivers seat i can see the scan guage II). It can tell you just about ANYTHING about your TB from including the MPG & Oil Life. For the oil life an additional code must be programed that you do yourself and its not hard to do at all. All the paperwork comes with it. Go here and take a look: http://www.scangauge.com/ (It is around $169.95) But TRUST ME! It IS Worth It. Several People Here On Trailvoy WILL AGREE!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :grouphug: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts