Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BORKED

Well after receiving numerous pm's regarding alternator replacement, I decided that the next time I did one I would take a vid. That day was yesterday. I swapped out an aftermarket HO alt so that it can be shipped out for repair, and put the stocker back in so there is no down time. We all save our OEM parts, right?

Tools used:

Matco serp belt tensioner tool (a 3/8" breaker bar can be used)
1/4" drive ratchet and 10mm socket
1/2" drive ratchet and 10mm/15mm sockets
assorted open end wrenches for removing aftermarket battery posts

Procedure:

disconnect the battery(ies)
remove the serp belt
remove the 10mm a/c line bolt from the hoist bracket
remove the (2) 15mm hoist bracket bolts and bracket
remove the (3) 15mm alt case bolts
rotate the alt to access the power lead and connector
remove the 10mm power lead nut, power lead, and connector
shimmy the alt out

installation is reverse of removal

Time:

This can be done in under a half hour.

Note:

I did not show the proper belt rerouting or the reinstallation of the hoist bracket. The belt must be routed properly and the hoist bracket/ a/c line reinstalled.

Disconnecting the battery for an etended period will cause the pcm to lose its memory. If the throttle body is gunked up, the pcm will have a hard time learning idle, and you may experience rough idle/ stalling with the A/C on. Refer to the throttle body cleaning article for the service procedure.

Disclaimer:

This video is meant as an aide; always consult the service manual for proper service procedures. The owners and staff of trailvoy.com can not be held liable for any injury or damage caused by attempting to do the replacement yourself. When in doubt, seek professional advice.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
so who's TB did you use? Nice How To by the way.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
173 Posts
Good, very cool and very important and very useful!
This has helped me in changing the temperature senssor, that hiding behind the alternator.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so who's TB did you use? Nice How To by the way.:thumbsup:
Thanks man!

This was done on Bryans 2007. Replacement was identical to my 2003.

Also, this is the only way I can get to the alt stud for the alt + to batt + part of the big 3.

Also Also, I use the alt case mounting bolt for the engine block to negative terminal (in place of the engine block to chassis) part of the big 3. The return path from the alt case to the negative battery terminal is under 24". If your HO alt has a dedicated grounding stud, such as the ones on the Mechman units, use that in place of the mounting bolt.

Good, very cool and very important and very useful!
This has helped me in changing the temperature senssor, that hiding behind the alternator.
Thanks man!

From what I have read, it is also a lot easier to remove the alt when servicing the thermostat.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle_xl
2 Posts
Awesome Video

:thx Man that was the clearest video of someone replacing a part I have ever seen. Excellent lighting, nice comentary and to the point information.

That is what everyone wants when they don't know what the heck they are doing.

Awesome Awesome awesome

thanks for the information.
:woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
223 Posts
My 2004 has 3 bolts on the engine lift bracket. One 90deg to the others. I am assuming that the year model in the video does not have the AC plumbing interference issues with the bottom alternator bolt. That was the most difficult part of getting mine off. There wasn't even enough room between the AC rigid plumbing & the bolt to put a box end ratchet on the bolt. I did this work to change my thermostat & want to add that I replaces the annoying hose clamps with screw down clamps. I hate those spring clamps, probably because I don't have the tool to remove them. The thermostat was an easy change, the alternator was the major chore. Oh, BTW, I bought a thermo at Advance Auto & noticed that it was stamped 86C. That's 187F! I returned it & bought a 192F thermo & O'Reilly's. So be sure & check the markings.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what everyone wants when they don't know what the heck they are doing.
Thanks for the feedback!:cool:

My 2004 has 3 bolts on the engine lift bracket. One 90deg to the others. I am assuming that the year model in the video does not have the AC plumbing interference issues with the bottom alternator bolt.
The TB in the vid is an 07 and was identical to my 03. Do you have a pic of your 3rd bolt? Also, once the a/c line was disconnected from the bracket it moved out of the way easily.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts
"slide that ****er right off"...

That made my day, sounds like me workin on a car lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!:cool:

The TB in the vid is an 07 and was identical to my 03. Do you have a pic of your 3rd bolt? Also, once the a/c line was disconnected from the bracket it moved out of the way easily.
Don't have a picture, but the third bolt is located just above the rear alternator bolt. It is mentioned in the thermostat replacement step-by-step. http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=32326&highlight=replacing+thermostat
The pictures are posted later on when he learned how to do it.:)
Maybe '04 was the only year for this??
I am talking about an A/C line right in front of the lower alternator bolt? Mine was a major pain! It is a rigid pipe coming off the compressor (I think) & will not let the lower bolt come out completely or allow an open end ratchet to slip over the bolt when reinstalling. This is also mentioned in the thermo post.
cheers,
kev

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle_xl
2 Posts
yeah just finished mine an that third bolt was a PAIN..
I ended up using 2 extentions an coming from beneath the tubing you described.

I didn't remove the plastic bolt that held those tubes in place I just swiviled them around out ( the plate that is ) of the way.
I also has a double hinged swivel socket adapter that helped a lot in getting that bottom bolt back on.. it took for ever by hand with an open ended wrench.

Good Luck..
an Mine was a 2002 Envoy.. pictures were dead on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Video

Thank you for posting this video I knew I could replace it but it took showing this video to my wife to show how easy it was. You guys saved me 200 bucks by me doing this myself :thx

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
145 Posts
been tripping about the alternator all week, this is exactly what i needed!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
sorry to hear you go. not that your gonna be able to reply to this :x

but still want to give thanks to where it is. i did my big 3 and this vid helped out a lot, in addition to me calling you, haha.

the other day my alt went out, got a new one. i was at the desk, and i said something stupid. on the way out the dude said "good luck". i thought what a schmuck. i got my alt in and out and in, in less than an hour. got back to the shop and the dude said "you need help?". "no, im done, i need my money for my core." the look on his face, priceless, it was pretty funny hahaha.

all thanks to may and his vid.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
28 Posts
How long can they last? My 03 4.2 has 170,000 and is quiet and steady as a rock on voltage.
Not long enough, I need to replace my alt, 49k, alt is working, bearings in it are starting fail, hear the hum. It's little things like this that are starting to rub me the wrong way with this truck. I have only had it since Thanksgiving, low beams have failed, stabilty system steering wheel sensor has been replaced, rear wiper system had to be fixed and now this and I have only put 8k on it since I have gotten it. I really am begining to understand why these things hold no value and I am I starting to really think I got what I paid for, from reading this forum others seem to have a good expierence with them, I am not and I am seriously thinking about trading it on something else:(

1 - 20 of 86 Posts