Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to replace your stepper motor

536K views 437 replies 228 participants last post by  Ravalli Surfer 
#1 ·
Due to the number of PMs I receive on how to replace a stepper motor I figured I may as well post the how-to. Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

How to Replace Gauge Cluster Stepper Motor
If the needles in your gauge cluster flutter, stick, or stop working you may have a bad stepper motor.
Dealerships want $400-$700 to replace the whole cluster, but you can replace just the motor for around $10.

Time: 1-2 hours

Cost: About $10 for 1 stepper motor (part: X-C5-168 or X-25-168)

Tools:
Stepper Motor/s
Phillips Head Screwdriver
9/32 Socket
Soldering Iron
Solder

Step 1 (Remove dash faceplate)
Follow the instructions found in the following link to remove the dash faceplate:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=6459
You will need to unplug all the wiring harnesses for lights, 4-wheel drive, and rear wipers.

Step 2 (Remove gauge cluster)
You will now be able to access the gauge cluster. Remove the 4 screws holding the cluster in place and then unplug the wiring harness.

Step 3 (Disassemble cluster)
The cluster is constructed from 3 pieces which are held together with clips. Remove the front clear cover by unfastening the clips.

You will now have access to the gauge needles.
**IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW CALIBRATION STEPS PRECISELY***
Place tape at the end of each needle.

Turn each needle counter-clockwise until it stops as shown below and then mark off the location on the tape with a pen. If you do this, you should have no issues with calibration when you reassemble.

Once you have your positions marked, turn each needle counter-clockwise until it breaks free from the shaft. Then use a fork to pry each needle off. It will take a little force, but just be slow.

Unfasten the remaining clips that hold the back cluster cover in place and remove. You will then be able to pull the circuit board off.

Notice the 6 stepper motors, each about the size of a quarter.

Step 4 (Replace stepper motor)

On the reverse side of the circuit board you will need to desolder the 4 points that are holding the motor on. These are easy to determine as they stick up a bit more.
Heat the solder and use a solder-sucker to remove the solder. If you don't have a solder-sucker, you can have an extra hand pry at the motor from the other side as you heat.
**Just be careful not to heat things up too much as this is a circuit board and you can harm other components if not careful.
I was replacing my speedometer motor, so I desoldered the following points.

Once the old motor is off, make sure the holes are clear of solder and put your new motor in.
Resolder your 4 points and place the circuit board on the back cover. Fasten the overlay piece back on now.
Now press each needle back on in the 12 o-clock position. Then turn each needle back to your mark on the tape. If you miss the mark just keep turning counter-clockwise until you come around again.

To test things out, plug the wiring harness back to the cluster. You should immediately see the needles jump down and then up to the original 'zero' points.
Make sure the needle for your new motor moved. You should really test this out first before reassembling everything to make sure your needles go back to their original points.
Typically, the gas gauge needle is a tick or so below empty. My RPM gauge was also about 100 rpm under zero at the rest position, so I made sure they were exactly in the same spot after I plugged the cluster back in.
Yours may differ slightly.
Once you determine your needles are correct, just snap the clear plastic cover back on the gauge.

Step 5 (Reassemble)

Attach the cluster back to the dash and reassemble the dash in reverse order.

You are done!

See less See more
#36 ·
Excellent information, thank you for writing this up. :thx

I just ordered some stepper motors and plan to do this as soon as they come in. This looks very straight forward.

I have one question, has anyone had a problem getting the needles back to their '0' base after installation?

#38 ·
When I did mine, I followed the instructions, but my fuel gauge was just a half notch off full when I filled it up and my speedo was off by 2 mph (according to the gps) so I'm going to go back in and adjust. I would say when you go to "seat" them to the left hand positions when marking them, just use slight pressure, they're probably fine where they rest as is.:m2:

#41 ·
Installation of two motors went smooth, besides an oversight on my part. I marked where the needles came to rest instead of where they stop when light pressure is applied! :bonk: In the end, all of my gauges were not calibrated correctly.

I was able to get the speedo close using GPS, and I've tried to adjust the remaining based on normal operating position. I just don't know how to calibrate the fuel gauge.

#42 ·
What I was going to do was go fill it up and see where it rests. Mine is not quite on the full mark so I was going to move it to the right about a half notch. A full tank is the only way I can suggest.:m2:

#44 ·
Thanks for the excellent write up. I just replaced the motors on my Oil Pressure and Speedometer. Definitely an easy job. It cost me $20 for the stepper motors and about 2 hours of time.

This was MUCH easier than replacing the bulbs in the radio.

#56 ·
I am not sure if any problems would arise from driving without the cluster. I do not know how much the computer interacts with it. I think all the settings are read by the computer from the sensors, not the cluster.

Sorry I cannot give you a better answer. I did move mine out of the garage without the cluster so I know it will start and run. I did not travel anywhere.

#59 ·
stepper motor's

New to the site and have some questions about this.

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT with 130,000 miles.

My gas guage doesn't read at all, well sometimes it goes to just a quarter tank for a few seconds then drops again. Also, my speedometer reads normally but after about 45 minutes it starts to steadily slow down til it is below zero even though I'm doing 75 on the highway.

Do you guys think if I order two stepper motor's (one for each) it will fix these problems?

Thanks in advance!

#60 ·
New to the site and have some questions about this.

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT with 130,000 miles.

My gas guage doesn't read at all, well sometimes it goes to just a quarter tank for a few seconds then drops again. Also, my speedometer reads normally but after about 45 minutes it starts to steadily slow down til it is below zero even though I'm doing 75 on the highway.

Do you guys think if I order two stepper motor's (one for each) it will fix these problems?

Thanks in advance!
I would say yes. That is how my oil pressure and speedometer were working. It has been over a week since I replaced mine and everything is working great. (knocking on wood now)

#62 ·
My tach, speedo, and now oil pressure guage are acting up. Glad I ordered all 6, they arrived tonight. Going to put them in this weekend or early next week.

Ordered from the ebay store posted previously, 6 stepper motors for $28.80 shipped. :woot:

#71 ·
Do you think it's some kind of sending unit in the fuel tank? Thanks!
That's about the only other rational choice. If you had a scan tool or a scangauge, you could see the fuel level in the data stream from the PCM. Comparing that to the readout on the gauge is the only sure way to blame the stepper motor instead of the sender unit. Run a search - you have to drop the gas tank to change the sender.

#72 ·
Hi guys!

I am actually a Tahoe owner chiming in here.

I also did a write-up on replacing a stepper motor here:

Stepper Motor

In the GMT800 community, it's usually adding a stepper motor and a tranny temp gauge, but replacing failing stepper motors are also common.

My final steps on setting the gauges were a little different.

I just thought it would help, in case there are some users that cannot get that last step of setting the needle correctly.

I am not at all indicating that my way is *THE* way, but it did work for me!

Good Luck!

Omar.

#436 ·
Hi guys!

I am actually a Tahoe owner chiming in here.

I also did a write-up on replacing a stepper motor here:

Stepper Motor

In the GMT800 community, it's usually adding a stepper motor and a tranny temp gauge, but replacing failing stepper motors are also common.

My final steps on setting the gauges were a little different.

I just thought it would help, in case there are some users that cannot get that last step of setting the needle correctly.

I am not at all indicating that my way is THE way, but it did work for me!

Good Luck!

Omar.
This link is compromised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.