Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
61 - 80 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only motors I can find are from mandigital and its a set of 6 for 35 dollars. Should I go with these? Should I replace all of them while I have it torn apart?

Is it the same directions to take apart the 05 envoy as the 03 TB?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My tach, speedo, and now oil pressure guage are acting up. Glad I ordered all 6, they arrived tonight. Going to put them in this weekend or early next week.

Ordered from the ebay store posted previously, 6 stepper motors for $28.80 shipped. :woot:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My tach, speedo, and now oil pressure guage are acting up. Glad I ordered all 6, they arrived tonight. Going to put them in this weekend or early next week.

Ordered from the ebay store posted previously, 6 stepper motors for $28.80 shipped. :woot:
What kind of car do you have? Mine came up to 35 plus shipping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the 6 motors off of ebay yesterday for 27 dollars shipped. I plan on replacing them sometime next week. I have an 05 Envoy is it the same removing the dash instructions as the one listed for the older trailblazers? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok I changed the Speedometer motor and It works then I changed the Fuel Motor and it's still telling me that the fuel level is low even though it's not. What could be the problem? Do you think it's some kind of sending unit in the fuel tank? Thanks!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Do you think it's some kind of sending unit in the fuel tank? Thanks!
That's about the only other rational choice. If you had a scan tool or a scangauge, you could see the fuel level in the data stream from the PCM. Comparing that to the readout on the gauge is the only sure way to blame the stepper motor instead of the sender unit. Run a search - you have to drop the gas tank to change the sender.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
1 Posts
Hi guys!

I am actually a Tahoe owner chiming in here.

I also did a write-up on replacing a stepper motor here:

Stepper Motor

In the GMT800 community, it's usually adding a stepper motor and a tranny temp gauge, but replacing failing stepper motors are also common.

My final steps on setting the gauges were a little different.

I just thought it would help, in case there are some users that cannot get that last step of setting the needle correctly.

I am not at all indicating that my way is *THE* way, but it did work for me!

Good Luck!

Omar.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
11 Posts
Great write-up. I took all the suggestions under advisement and had the job complete in about an hour. It sure is nice to actually know how fast you are going!!!

·
Registered
2003 chevy
18 Posts
Omar...

Good write up Omar, very detailed. But i think the way Chavez wrote it is right on the money. Plus, with making note (with tape) of where the needles come to rest probably saves you all the time you spent trying to recalibrate your gauges and having to start and restart your truck. Maybe you can post up in the tahoe forum and ask them to try it your way, but also make note with tape of needles and see if anyone has the same problems you did.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
62 Posts
Finally replaced all of my steppers this weekend.
The most difficult part of the whole job was getting the #$#%^% bezel off of the front of the dash.
I used the tape to mark the pointers, and only had to "recalibrate" one of them. (The oil pressure gauge, which was one of the ones screwing up, anyway.)

A quick tip...
It's easy to mis-solder the pins where they come through the board.
Take a little bit of BrakeKleen (the non-flammable version) and a small coarse bristle brush, and clean the solder rosin off of the board, after you solder. It will be much easier to tell if your connections are good.
Don't wierd out about the BrakeKleen. Although it seems barbaric, it's chemically very similar to solvent that I used to use to clean circuit boards when I was repairing pagers (aka beepers.) Just make sure to use it where there is plenty of ventilation. The fumes are pretty nasty.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
13 Posts
Awesome..

The help availableonthis site is amazing.......

I just replaced 2 stepper motors(speedo and tach) in less than an hour. i would have never been able to do that without the help of this site. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
354 Posts
Just got the motors yesterday, will install in the next couple of days, will post on the result.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
354 Posts
First of all thank you Chavez for this wonderful step by step write up, Just repace 4 stepper on my cluster, the gas and engine temp ones had to do then twice, but at the end everything since to work fine so far, "knock on wood". By the way it took me longer to get the cluster out, then to change the stepper.
Again thank you guys, this site rocks.

:thx

61 - 80 of 436 Posts