Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
41 - 60 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Installation of two motors went smooth, besides an oversight on my part. I marked where the needles came to rest instead of where they stop when light pressure is applied! :bonk: In the end, all of my gauges were not calibrated correctly.

I was able to get the speedo close using GPS, and I've tried to adjust the remaining based on normal operating position. I just don't know how to calibrate the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
Installation of two motors went smooth, besides an oversight on my part. I marked where the needles came to rest instead of where they stop when light pressure is applied! :bonk: In the end, all of my gauges were not calibrated correctly.

I was able to get the speedo close using GPS, and I've tried to adjust the remaining based on normal operating position. I just don't know how to calibrate the fuel gauge.
What I was going to do was go fill it up and see where it rests. Mine is not quite on the full mark so I was going to move it to the right about a half notch. A full tank is the only way I can suggest.:m2:

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
Thanks for the excellent write up. I just replaced the motors on my Oil Pressure and Speedometer. Definitely an easy job. It cost me $20 for the stepper motors and about 2 hours of time.

This was MUCH easier than replacing the bulbs in the radio.

·
Registered
2003 chevy
18 Posts
Great thread

I was gonna attempt replacing the speedometer stepper motor this weekend, i just wanted to know....is it vital to remove all of the instrument needles, or just the motor that you're going to replace?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
I was gonna attempt replacing the speedometer stepper motor this weekend, i just wanted to know....is it vital to remove all of the instrument needles, or just the motor that you're going to replace?
IIRC, you have to remove them all to get to the motors behind the cluster face.

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
Yes you must pull all the needles to replace any stepper motor. The instructions here are right on. When I reinstalled my needles I plugged the dash in and started the vehicle to ensure they were all positioned correctly. I did need to adjust the speedometer and tach a couple of times but that was last weekend and it is all good. One other word of caution, you may see the "Service 4WD Drive" light on. This is just because the switch on the dash is unplugged. Once you have everything connected it will go away.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
Yes you must pull all the needles to replace any stepper motor. The instructions here are right on. When I reinstalled my needles I plugged the dash in and started the vehicle to ensure they were all positioned correctly. I did need to adjust the speedometer and tach a couple of times but that was last weekend and it is all good. One other word of caution, you may see the "Service 4WD Drive" light on. This is just because the switch on the dash is unplugged. Once you have everything connected it will go away.
Guys, please read my updates. You do not need to remove any dash panels expect the cluster and two screws from the knee bolster. I think it was about 8-10 screws total. You shouldn't have to unplug anything but the instrument cluster itself.

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
Guys, please read my updates. You do not need to remove any dash panels expect the cluster and two screws from the knee bolster. I think it was about 8-10 screws total. You shouldn't have to unplug anything but the instrument cluster itself.
I did read your post but in my case I took the dash off because I was also fixing the bulbs in my radio as well as the stepper motor. I did post that on the radio thread but forgot to mention that here. So if you are only replacing the stepper motors then this is correct and will save a lot of time.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts

you do realize that the trailblazer has that big dash panel that wraps over to the AC and radio that needs to be removed to get to the cluster :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
you do realize that the trailblazer has that big dash panel that wraps over to the AC and radio that needs to be removed to get to the cluster :thumbsup:
Sorry, I am referring to an Envoy, I didn't even think about it being different. Thanks for pointing that out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
Can the vehicle be started and driven with the gauge cluster removed without causing problems?
I am not sure if any problems would arise from driving without the cluster. I do not know how much the computer interacts with it. I think all the settings are read by the computer from the sensors, not the cluster.

Sorry I cannot give you a better answer. I did move mine out of the garage without the cluster so I know it will start and run. I did not travel anywhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
stepper motor's

New to the site and have some questions about this.

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT with 130,000 miles.

My gas guage doesn't read at all, well sometimes it goes to just a quarter tank for a few seconds then drops again. Also, my speedometer reads normally but after about 45 minutes it starts to steadily slow down til it is below zero even though I'm doing 75 on the highway.

Do you guys think if I order two stepper motor's (one for each) it will fix these problems?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
New to the site and have some questions about this.

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT with 130,000 miles.

My gas guage doesn't read at all, well sometimes it goes to just a quarter tank for a few seconds then drops again. Also, my speedometer reads normally but after about 45 minutes it starts to steadily slow down til it is below zero even though I'm doing 75 on the highway.

Do you guys think if I order two stepper motor's (one for each) it will fix these problems?

Thanks in advance!
I would say yes. That is how my oil pressure and speedometer were working. It has been over a week since I replaced mine and everything is working great. (knocking on wood now)

41 - 60 of 436 Posts