Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

421 - 434 of 434 Posts

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
80 Posts
PCB Pad Lift - Possible fix

Folks,
Just a possible fix if you’ve been unlucky enough to lift (and destroy) a pad when changing the motors. First things first….don’t use too hot an iron. I’ve changed these motors in the past using a 30W with no issues. My new adjustable temperature iron I think is what caused my problem in that I was probably closer to 50W than 30.
So I managed to lift and destroy two pads. What you will see very close to the motor leg is a small solder ‘dot’. If the motor leg was soldered correctly (ie: pad intact) you will measure zero ohms between the motor leg and this solder ‘dot’. To make sure we are ‘apples to apples’ take a ohmmeter and measure from a good motor leg to this solder ‘dot or blob’ and you should see zero ohms.
What I was able to do is bend the motor leg over and touch the solder ‘dot’. Then very gently with a small blob of solder on the iron tip touch the motor leg and solder ‘dot’. Use your finger nail to keep the motor leg touching the solder ‘dot’ whilst you apply the solder drop from the iron. Be quick, the objective is to get a connection without disturbing the solder ‘dot’. I then applied a tiny amount of silicone sealant just before the leg to dot connection in the hope that it will not come loose and break connection. All good thus far. One other point….the pads I damaged were on a motor that was working so you may want to go for the ‘if it ain’t broke leave it alone’. That had been my approach over the years and I was down to the last two motors, one was bad and I thought I’ll do both rather than keep monkeying around with the cluster. I wished I’d just replaced the busted one as the one I messed up was working fine, but hopefully that will be it and I won’t need to go in there again.
If you are contemplating this job:
• I would say a 30 to 40 W iron max with a pointed tip.
• A vacuum solder sucker, this will give you speed to get the old solder out of the way quickly....but it is a vacuum device, if you have the pad too hot it may well pull the pad off.
• A dash brush and some isopropyl to clean the area prior to new motor installation.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
10 Posts
Instrument panel

this is gonna sound kinda dumb but, can you buy a new instrument cluster already put together and just pop it in and connect the wiring harness and thats it? this will be my first time trying to solder anything and im alittle worried ill really screw things up. and if you can buy one already to plug and play can someone post a link on where to get one?
thanks
Yes, Dorman sells a replacement instrument panel. You can pick up the new one at Autozone and when you return the bad panel, they will rebate part of the price, net is approximately $300.

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
80 Posts
Yes, Dorman sells a replacement instrument panel. You can pick up the new one at Autozone and when you return the bad panel, they will rebate part of the price, net is approximately $300.
Interesting stuff indeed! I was thinking I might have to get a $900 GM fix after I nearly screwed up two motor replacements last week. What I'm also reading is they come with the VIN and mileage set and you are ready to go. Finally an alternative to GM. Thanks for the info

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-599-325/overview/year/2005/make/buick/model/rainier

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
10 Posts
Stepper motors

Are you saying that just changing the stepper motors is harder than it seems? I was thinking of going in that direction, but now I have second thoughts. PS: If you order the subject Dorman product from Autozone, you can pick it up at one of their stores and return the core to the same store. Eliminates some of the shipping hassle.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
10 Posts
Ignore my last question. I just read your post about self replacing the stepper motors and realize that is beyond what I would want to attempt!

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
80 Posts
Ignore my last question. I just read your post about self replacing the stepper motors and realize that is beyond what I would want to attempt!
Well...you could have a pop at it before springing for a new cluster. The motors are a few bucks on Amazon. If you do order...get a supplier that ships from the States. My second batch came from China and took weeks, though they do seem ok so far quality wise. I guess one thought would be getting the core rebated if it is visually badly damaged by aborted repair attempts. It is tricky if you haven't done much in the way of soldering. I think the main area folks will screw up is using too hot an iron (30 W should be sufficient) and possibly trying to 'clean the hole of all old solder'. The latter will risk pad lift. What I do is as soon as I can see some solder melt get the vacuum sucker over the joint and suck up what solder I can. Then see if I can break any remaining connection by gently jiggling the motor leg with a pair of needle nose pliers. Remember the motor leg is a thin piece of wire, it doesn't need the entire hole to be clear of solder to pass through. The enemy I believe is heat on the board pads, if they lift you have a problem, but all may not be lost as you can see in my post from a week ago. That was self inflicted by using an iron that was too hot.

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Hi
I've read that Trailblazers from 2002 to 2005 use x27 168 stepper motors. What stepper motor is used for 2006-2009?

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
50 Posts
I am going to do my swap soon. My speedo randomly goes up when I shift to drive to 10mph and then I need to turn off and on my truck to 0 it.

This guy looks great, I just want to verify which to order.

X-25-168 is what guide says but I see x27 168 most stores eBay or amazon. which should I get. I have a 06 gm envoy Denali.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
10 Posts
Purchased 6 stepper motors on e-bay and installed them several weeks ago with no issues. Now I notice that one of the dash lights is not working. I would like to replace all 8 with leds. Does anyone know what voltage led is required?
Hey guys, just letting you know that i have succesfully performed stepper motor transplant. I replaced my speedometer motor & it was really easy. No more guessing on how fast i'm going.:woot:
What kind of solder do you use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stepper motors verse cluster

My question is what is the problem if I install a used cluster from another vehicle in stead of replacing stepper motors. Would there be a problem with the pcm readings. Not worried about mileage because mine is over 200,000 and not recorded.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
21 Posts
Solder I used

What kind of solder should I use and soldering iron?
When I replaced my stepper motors in the instrument cluster I used a 25 watt soldering pen and electronic grade rosin core solder. Caution, avoid over heating the soldering pads on the circuit board. I used desoldering braid to desolder pads for a clean soldering connection . If you do over heat a circuit board pad you can always use a jumper wire. I did this on one of my steppers. This process eliminates having to buy a new instrument panel then having a dealer to reprogram your computer.

421 - 434 of 434 Posts