Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 40 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
170 Posts
Hey guys, just letting you know that i have succesfully performed stepper motor transplant. I replaced my speedometer motor & it was really easy. No more guessing on how fast i'm going.:woot:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
257 Posts
From this guy...
http://stores.ebay.com/SPEEDOMETER-SALES-AND-SERVICE

The stepper motors are on the second page of his store, presently. (I'm assuming they'll move around as auctions come and go.) I didn't look for bulbs, but he might have them, too.

He's selling them for $4.80 each, but also has some auctions with multiple motors. Pay attention to the quantities.

Got an email that it shipped yesterday, after ordering in the middle of the night. Guy has *stellar* feedback.

Just ordered one for my speedo from this guy about an hour ago... now i'm looking forward to doin the project itself this weekend :hopeless

and a couple of people have asked questions about the LED's you can solder in... where can those be found?? what do they look like? and do they need anything more done than simply soldering them in?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
Purchased 6 stepper motors on e-bay and installed them several weeks ago with no issues. Now I notice that one of the dash lights is not working. I would like to replace all 8 with leds. Does anyone know what voltage led is required?

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
Just had the chance to read this thread, Chavez that was a great write up and pictures. I have a question when the needles get reinstalled, you set them at 12 o'clock and then turn them back to the original marked position. Do you turn CCW or CW? Does it matter? And you say if you past, turn CCW, is that right.

Also, there were several members who asked about what if their needles didn't go to the normal spot originally, does that matter to establish the marking point.

So many questions:crazy:, but this a great repair write up.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1 Posts
I just did this tonight and it turned out great! The directions were very detailed.

To answer your question about CCW vs CW: You turn CCW to the spot that you marked after pushing the needle down from the "zero" spot until it stops.

As soon as you plug the cluster into its port the needles will immediately return to the "zero" point (without the key in the "on" position). It helps to make two marks: One representing the original "zero" point and a second mark for the amount of space you move the needle prior to removing it from its stem.

I think my RPM could have stood to been about a tick below "0" on the gauge. Regardless, everything works fine.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
58 Posts
:thumbsup:GM is now accepting the fact that there is a problem with the instrument cluster. I just had mine replaced for for free. I have a 2004 with 46k on it. My tach and speedo both when feetup. I took it to my dealer and they replaced it for free after talking with GM. So start talking to your service REP and see what they can do for you. :thumbsup:
Thanks Hotrod Surfer

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
26 Posts
this is gonna sound kinda dumb but, can you buy a new instrument cluster already put together and just pop it in and connect the wiring harness and thats it? this will be my first time trying to solder anything and im alittle worried ill really screw things up. and if you can buy one already to plug and play can someone post a link on where to get one?
thanks

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Campaign Number

Hey SD Did the dealer give you a campaign number they fixed it under. Heading to the dealer Thursday 2-12 for a fix

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
:thumbsup:GM is now accepting the fact that there is a problem with the instrument cluster. I just had mine replaced for for free. I have a 2004 with 46k on it. My tach and speedo both when feetup. I took it to my dealer and they replaced it for free after talking with GM. So start talking to your service REP and see what they can do for you. :thumbsup:
Thanks Hotrod Surfer
Any chance you can post a scanned copy of the service order with the repair code and the N/C?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,369 Posts
@rubble, yes you can though they generally run 200 to 300 dollars and are totally not worth the money.

As for the article, GREAT ARTICLE :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I will soon be using this as a prelim guide to replace those darned lightbulbs behind my gauges.

Thanks
Keith

(100th! :woohoo:)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
Great write up. I just ordered mine yesterday and should have them next week. FWIW I ordered mine from mandigital on ebay...he answered all my questions quickly and shipped it right out.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
Ok, I got my parts and had it changed out in about 40 min. A couple differences in what I did compared to the original write up. CHAVEZ was pretty much right on, but the link to remove your instrument cluster is a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Remove 2 screws from the top of your knee bolster, remove the two screws behind that for the cluster bezel and the two from the top of the bezel and pull it out of the way. Once you look at it, it will be self explanatory.
Next remove the 4 bolts holding in the cluster like CHAVEZ shows.

He mentions unplugging multiple harnesses, but I only had to unplug the one at the top as seen below. Once out, take it apart and mark as mentioned. The new parts come with instructions also.

It was very easy. Glad I did it, thanks for the write up.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
Very good!

My 16 year old son and I just did this to fix the speedometer. It was very easy to follow and saved us alot of money. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Glad this is assisting other.

Cdpyjs,
Thanks for an easier way to remove the cluster. I had heard you didn't have to remove the full front panel, so that's good to know.

DAVE

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
Excellent information, thank you for writing this up. :thx

I just ordered some stepper motors and plan to do this as soon as they come in. This looks very straight forward.

I have one question, has anyone had a problem getting the needles back to their '0' base after installation?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
When I did mine, I followed the instructions, but my fuel gauge was just a half notch off full when I filled it up and my speedo was off by 2 mph (according to the gps) so I'm going to go back in and adjust. I would say when you go to "seat" them to the left hand positions when marking them, just use slight pressure, they're probably fine where they rest as is.:m2:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
11 Posts
Dare I say "this is so easy a caveman can do it?" Good write up. No more 140mph (indicated) through the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
This is good to hear, my motors came in today and I hope to get this done in the next couple of days.

21 - 40 of 436 Posts