Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
ignition switch replacement

Just finished replacing the ignition switch for the second time in two years. Had and Advanced Auto replacement switch in it as the original replacement, but didn't last but the two years, so went to AutoZone for the limited lifetime warranty. If they're going to keep going bad, might was well have the warranty to go with it. This thread is great with the instructions. My advice: As soon as you start experiencing any of these problems replace the switch. Only takes 15 minutes and cost is nominal.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
More than ignition switch!

I've replaced mine over a dozen time sin the year or so since the problem started. I've also blowed a hundred or so 10 Amp fuses. It appears that at turn over is when the the fuse pops, but even with I use my jumper relay (starter relay withthe top removed) to jump start the truck, and THEN replace the fuse it'll pop. In fact this morning I had a replacement OE ignition switch come in from AC Delco. Swapped it out in a minute, jump the truck to start and then replaced the switch, and I didn't get out of my driveway before it blew again.

I've heard mentions of a possible short that's common in these trucks, but I haven't been able to find out where that common root cause short is. Does anyone know of or heard of this mystery short that's been adding to my year long fustration with this truck? Cause I'm about to get it a nice detailing, and get it off my hands if I can't get past this problem. Replacement ignition switches once every 6 months was an annoyance I could deal with. But constantly replacing fuses, popping the hood to start the truck, and not having directionals is not something I want to continue to deal with!!!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
13 Posts
yet another switch bites the dust

I'm on my 4th, going to buy a 5th one tonight. Are any of these any better than the others?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2 Posts
I was wondering, do you need the key in the ignition? And aren't these keys transponder? So wouldn't this disable your vehicle, or what are the steps of key programming?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2 Posts
I was wondering, in your ignition switch change, aren't these keys programmed into the computers memory? Do you need the key in the ignition to remove it? And what would be the steps on programming keys?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
62 Posts
Interesting thread.
A couple of days ago, I came down and opened the door of the TB to go to work. Darkness...
After being parked for 2 days, the battery was dead as a hammer. Tried to jump start it with no success. Disconnected the battery, and put it on a trickle charger for a couple of days. Now fully charged.
Reconnected the battery and tried to start. Dash lights/gauges came on. Turned the key, they went out. I can hear fuel pump prime. No radio. No power windows or locks. Headlights okay. Courtesy lights have a mind of their own.
The best term I can come up with to describe the symptoms is "haywire". Based upon several threads here, I bought an ignition switch. (I bought the NAPA/Echlin version. ~$35. Will replace it tomorrow. (This will be the first replacement. ~145K on the odo.)
Strangely enough, about 6-8 months ago, my wife was outside with the dogs, and told me the headlights came on, in the Trailblazer. I looked a few minutes later and they were out. Maybe that was the first symptom. (Cue "Twilight Zone" music...)
Wish me luck.
And thanks to everyone for their input and great info. This place rocks!

Edit - I just went to Rockauto.com and discovered that my 2005 Silverado uses the identical switch. Lovely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well... That wasn't it. Dammit.
To add to the confusion, I connected my scan tool with the key on. No data link communication. Sounds like the PCM is dead.
This thing is starting to piss me off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Freaking radio! I noticed that the recall function worked, Brought up the clock display. Otherwise, the radio was dead.
As soon as I pulled it out of the dash, everything came to life. I'm not sure what was going on. I thought I saw a pinched wire, but I think I was mistaken.
It's the 6 CD changer, but I also had an aftermarket iPod adapter harness installed. I noticed that I could twist the harnesses, and make the trouble come and go. At that point, I opted to just de-install the iPod adapter. Twisting the regular harness, plugged into the radio, I couldn't make the problem reappear.
So... Strangest damn thing I have ever seen.
If anyone has any theories, I'm all ears. May have to dissect an iPod adapter, or at least its harness.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_slt
4 Posts
Just broke the tilt lever

So this ignition problem happened fast for me. Yesterday at noon was the first sign of the problem, it didn't want to start on the first try, today it took 20 times and the dash lights were reading crazy.

Did the swap and everything works great only problem was pulling the tilt lever off. I tried what the manual and other people were saying, "just a hard firm pull". I ended up breaking the tilt lever. Once I had the broken piece off I still had problems separating it even after I placed it in a vise. What ever though, its something I can fix in the summer.

I wanted to post pics but I am clueless on how to on this forum.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
I replaced my switch in my 04 Trailblazer and my air bag light is still on and my clock resets. I moved the teeth several times. Am I not getting the teeth in the right position or do you guys think the part may be bad?

Thanks Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome instructions! Just changed mine out and it literally took me less than 10 minutes!!!

Additional info- I didn't even remove the plastic shroud on the top of the :thumbsup:steering column, just the bottom piece and swapped the switch once I got the teeth in position. fired it up and all in the world was good again!

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Ok after reading all these posts I decided to save myself money and install starter ignition switch myself ..and I can't thank you guys enough ....success. All went well , took me longer then expected but did it carefully in 40 minutes...Thanks again for the posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
11 Posts
Last week my Envoy stumbled when I left work. I bought a new battery on the way home as the current one was 5 years old. Once at home, I started and turned it off at least a dozen times. I thought at least I had the new battery and planned on putting the new battery in the next evening. Well, the next morning it stumbled to a stop. I had to take my wife's car to work with my Envoy stuck halfway out of the garage. That evening we went out of town with my wife's car. My son stayed home and put the new battery in, charged it and took it for some Pandas and a Red-Bull. He was stranded at a gas station. It wouldn't turn over. He had it towed home on flat bed. The dash would light-up but the starter wouldn't even click. The brake and shifter park interlock wouldn't disengage. It had code P1518 Electronic Throttle Module to PCM communication . After spending way too much time trying to figure out the problem I came across this thread and put in a new ignition switch. Problem solved.

:thx

·
Registered
6 Posts
jg5984, sounds like the teeth are probably not aligned correctly...there's pics of the correct position a few pages into the thread...

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
11 Posts
Thanks for the info.
The failed ignition switch was working for the last 10 years. It just failed. It was the 3rd switch in my car. The one I bought yesterday is the 4th switch. I clocked it the same as the failed one and it started and works so far (about 10 starts and 30 miles driven).

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
03 TB LS I-6. Just replaced mine too, the switch locked on me last night, could not get the switch to the off position and could not get the key out. So I forced it off and got the key out. But could not get it to move the switch to start. Did some research this morning and found this thread, got the switch this afternoon and replaced it, got the teeth aligned like it says on thread #50.

So now the switch moves and it starts, but now the steering wheel does not lock on the off position and the shift lever does not lock either. Power turns off and everything else seems normal. I presume I broke the switch cylinder and will need to replace it also.

Has this happened to anyone here?

thanks.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
79 Posts
Just keep in mind that disconnecting the battery on these vehicles may result in the HVAC actuator door busting itself when the computer resets. check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsIW3bqFIVA

To be safe you need a computer memory saver anytime the battery is disconnected. That is why they sell these tools.

PS: this door actuator failure after a battery disconnect and reconnect happened to me and cost me $300

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
341 Posts
Am I the only one wondering why this isn't falling under the blanket ingnition recall GM is going through right now with alot of vehicles ?

:duh::hissy::weird:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
Am I the only one wondering why this isn't falling under the blanket ingnition recall GM is going through right now with alot of vehicles ?

:duh::hissy::weird:
Nope, I'm wondering too. I've had nothing but electrical problems with my TB but mine is an '03 and from what I read the recall is for '05-'07 and it does not include TB's.

201 - 220 of 251 Posts