Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
181 - 200 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
12 Posts
Thanks for the instructions on changing the switch. I am mechanically inept and need instructions on how to change a light-bulb. But so far I've changed both my ignition coil and ignition switch successfully thanks to helpful users. I'm sure it's saved me tons of money in repairs (the coil was around $80 IIRC and the switch $40. I suspect I would've spent hundreds at the shop.

However, I don't know if it was just me, but removing the steering column covers was extremely difficult and frustrating. I finally got it, but it wasn't as easy as described. Also, I regret disconnecting the battery. My Trailblazer stalled at idle for two days after, but is now back to normal.

Thanks again to all

(Edit: I ended up removing the panel and bar under the steering column to finally get the cover off. 6 screws.)

(Edit II: BTW, replacing the switch didn't solve my problem of the key refusing to turn to 'off' position and come out. I ended up taping the safety button in the column down with electrical tape which solved my problem.)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
how can i take apart the key cylinder from ignition housing?

:ugh:
OK gang,
I removed my new ignition switch since after I changed it there was the battery warning light on with the key out. I moved the gear tooth one click to the left, reinstalled, and now it starts, acc mode is good, and off mode is good without the battery light on (which would cause infamous slow battery drain). So advice for future ignition switch replacements. Even though it is simple and says get new switch gear exactly in the same position as the old switch, you may not get it exactly just right. Once that happens and you turn the key it causes the gears to move also so when you take the switch out it may not be in the same position. So I recommend before taking the old switch out mark a tooth on one end as a reference point as to where it was with a permanent marker, You try to position the new switch gear in the exact same position. With the old one marked you can play with it to see how many clicks it is from the end and match the same to the new switch. It is no more than 8 clicks from end to end. I would also mark a tooth on the new switch in case it is not the right setting you have a reference point to move it one tooth over each time till you get it right. Hopefully you just get it right the first time but if Murphy hits you, you have a system and a reference point for the teeth. Anyway, thanks to all for the help and advice.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1 Posts
problems replacing ignition switch

I replaced switch car turns on and off good, keys come out but no electrical will work. i messed with gears and got them in the best place for starting and removing key but no luck with electrical. After headlights turn off something starts buzzing an dome lights come on slightly. :(

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
3 Posts
I'll add another caution to be sure the teeth on the replacement ignition switch are in the correct spot (see bottom of http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...t=61278&page=5).
I put my last replacement in, and it worked - but it was intermittently leaving the vehicle ACC on and draining my battery over 4-5 days. If the battery light stays on after removing the key, and it goes off when you jiggle the ignition you have the teeth in the wrong position. I pulled the switch, adjusted the teeth by one position and everything is OK now.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
help please

ok so i changed my ignition switch today and now when turned to the start position the key just stays there is there something i am doing wrong or is there something i should be doing to get this right please help im getting very annoyed:thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Switch

I replaced my switch. everything workedok, but 10 mins later, AC stopped again, blinkers quit working, same with the emergency flashers. The Ignition key is stuck in the on position, so I had to disconnect the battery so it wouldn't drain.
Any advice? Could I be a fraction off on the switch, maybe 1/4 off?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
341 Posts
we should start a contest ... I was just under the 6 min mark doing the swap last nite :bonk:
... just had to change it again :bonk:

Symptoms this time were -

- No Start when key turned
- sometimes, I'd get "Service Brake System"
- it seemed if I turned the key to run and NOT immediately to start it wouldn't happen as frequently

The last 3 have been Bosch pieces from PepBoyz - which were "supposed" to have a lifetime warranty. This time at the register the asst. mgr was called for the exchange since I didnt have my original original receipt just the one from the last time I exchanged.

He said "This WILL BE THE LAST TIME" we replace it because either your vehicle is faulty or the part supplied by Bosch is faulty :crazy:

... I asked him where it says they can do that in the warranty, which resulted in a dumbass look to which I replied "Seeya in 6 months !"

I just ordered 2x GM/AC-DELCO Ign. Switches from RockAuto - I'll see if I have better luck with them ... but aren't they the OEM supplier for GM ?

... Oh, and I'll be carrying one in the glovebox along with the associated tools for the swap

·
Registered
gmc
34 Posts
my ignition wont turn

for some reason my key will not turn in the ignition. no matter what i do, i took the black wired switch off the bottom of the ignition and turn it myself, still wont turn engine over and key still wont turn

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
19 Posts
Ignition Swith replacement - dead battery

I changed the igintion switch as a result of intermitent dead battery events. The Youtube video was helpful and all input into the thread. I did fiddle with the teeth position but eventually got it work. Thanks to all. Easy DIY!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
the teeth probably aren't aligned correctly... take it out and try again....

As for me, my 3/36 warranty expired 8/1/2010...

Guess what, I drive to Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins just now to get my kids a shake, come out, key in the ignition, turn it over.... All the lights go out.... dead..

Try and pull the key out.... stuck... open the driver door, instr panel comes back on, air blasting radio on... turn off everything, try and turn over ign again... All the lights go out.... dead... again...

open door again - nothing, pop the hood.... , instr panel comes back on, air blasting radio on... again...

Did this 5-6 times finally took the key out and walked home.... 1/3 mile with the kids...

Guess I'll be going to the dealer to pick up an ign switch.... At least I'm legally parked...
Hey did you figure this problem out? Mine did the same last night and I had to walk home 5 miles since there were no cabs out that late at night where I live. Please let me know. Thanks!

Eduardo Castillo :ugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
the teeth probably aren't aligned correctly... take it out and try again....

As for me, my 3/36 warranty expired 8/1/2010...

Guess what, I drive to Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins just now to get my kids a shake, come out, key in the ignition, turn it over.... All the lights go out.... dead..

Try and pull the key out.... stuck... open the driver door, instr panel comes back on, air blasting radio on... turn off everything, try and turn over ign again... All the lights go out.... dead... again...

open door again - nothing, pop the hood.... , instr panel comes back on, air blasting radio on... again...

Did this 5-6 times finally took the key out and walked home.... 1/3 mile with the kids...

Guess I'll be going to the dealer to pick up an ign switch.... At least I'm legally parked...
Sounds likes the same problem I had!
What did you do to fix it? I'm stuck with this right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you sir. I'm not mechanically inclined at all. This fourm has saved me tons of money. I'm glad there are people out there that are willing to help.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
19 Posts
Well! It appears that the dealers are carring the part stock. You watch the video and a little bit of common sense; you can do this ... Or get the dealer and/or a local mechanic to do it.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
45 Posts
? help ?

Well! It appears that the dealers are carring the part stock. You watch the video and a little bit of common sense; you can do this ... Or get the dealer and/or a local mechanic to do it.
----------------------

I dont know if this would be the same solution for my problem:

Ran all day long today-NO issues - have 1/2 tank fuel -Parked for 45 min went in to start-engine cranks like crazy - no fire - .disconnected battery clear some codes(?)- wait 20 min almost tries-(ignition switch felt soft- like it was not engaging -wierd ) ..still spun- I stopped- put some starting ether in the TBody - still spins -no go.

IO don't smell anything like electrical or fuel. AAA Towed it to a local shop and his Scanner coud not "see" the parameters / ECM- (At this point the battery was just about dead) -key on or cranking- I noticed the amber engine light lights up with a down arrow highlighted.

Does a dead battery impact scanner readings?
Ignition switch can do this?(Never been replaced)

No tell tell signs at all. ran great.

?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
45 Posts
----------------------

I dont know if this would be the same solution for my problem:

Ran all day long today-NO issues - have 1/2 tank fuel -Parked for 45 min went in to start-engine cranks like crazy - no fire - .disconnected battery clear some codes(?)- wait 20 min almost tries-(ignition switch felt soft- like it was not engaging -wierd ) ..still spun- I stopped- put some starting ether in the TBody - still spins -no go.

IO don't smell anything like electrical or fuel. AAA Towed it to a local shop and his Scanner coud not "see" the parameters / ECM- (At this point the battery was just about dead) -key on or cranking- I noticed the amber engine light lights up with a down arrow highlighted.

Does a dead battery impact scanner readings?
Ignition switch can do this?(Never been replaced)

No tell tell signs at all. ran great.

?
-------------

Update: Throttle body unresponsive. New OEM being put on today.

I did notice the Envoy stalling a few times at a light after a quick decell and stop. MPG's :crazy: were getting lower too...Who knows?

$640. = Parts - Labor and Diagnosis.
After trouble free 4 years.. it was due for a bite.

181 - 200 of 252 Posts