Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

321 - 340 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
6 Posts
Excellent write up! I just changed my water pump in about 45 minutes. Very easy to do and alot better than the instructions in the repair manuals!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle_xuv
28 Posts
Water pump replace

Aw your just bragging, LOL If I had come to this site to find out how to do it might have taken a lot less time. I started taking the front end apart, like the grill the top of the header and so on. I had to remove the bolts on the back of the fan to clutch to get it out. I was not thrilled after I figured it out Duh.. Good for you and good luck.... Bud...:duh:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Thank you everyone!

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. Yesterday I change the water pump, thermostat, and antifreeze on my 2005. I read just about all of the posts to this thread and it was extremely helpful. I used the chain trick to remove the fan. Now I have a new "wrench" for a $1.68 from my local Home Depot. Changing the thermostat was a "bear" but I got'r done. I love the internet where we all can share thoughts and ideas very easily between a group that has similar interests. Cheers to you all! :woohoo::tiphat

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
3 Posts
Threads on fan clutch bolt into water pump

I thought the idea was the rotation of the fan blade, clutch bolt, water pump pulley indicated what type of threads were on the fan clutch bolt. Everything I see says my 2006 GMC envoy SLT should be counterclockwise removal of the bolt. However, the rotation of the fan, clutch bolt and water pump pulley is counterclockwise. The new water pump replacement part i have is normal threaded (clockwise to tighten). Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
249 Posts
I thought the idea was the rotation of the fan blade, clutch bolt, water pump pulley indicated what type of threads were on the fan clutch bolt. Everything I see says my 2006 GMC envoy SLT should be counterclockwise removal of the bolt. However, the rotation of the fan, clutch bolt and water pump pulley is counterclockwise. The new water pump replacement part i have is normal threaded (clockwise to tighten). Am I missing something?
Mine was just normal thread too. An air chisel "rap" does the trick for loosening if you have one....

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
3 Posts
Rotation of fan blade - removal of fan clutch bolt

So the rotation of the fan blade, clutch bolt, water pump pulley do not indicate what type of threads on the water pump. Does your fan and everything rotation counterclockwise also, same way as the removal of the fan clutch bolt? Just thought it would be opposite.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
3 Posts
Rotation of fan blade - removal of fan clutch bolt

Can someone help me out here. I took it to a mechanic to have hip tap it with an air hammer/chisel.. No luck, could not break it free. He said the same thing, counterclockwise t remove it. I asked him if he knew that for sure and he said yes, so i asked about what way the fan should be turning, he said clockwise, so I fired up the 06 envoy slt and showed him the fan turns counterclockwise. So he tried to free it going clockwise... no luck... In need of at least an understanding which way should the bolt release from the water pump and with my 06 envoy which way should the fan be turning?

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle_xuv
28 Posts
Rotation of fan

If you go to the first post there pic's of the guy using a hammer to hit the fan clutch nut in the counterclockwise direction. This did not work for me. I struggled for about 20 mins and the whole pulley and fan just slipped. I went to the local parts store and got the tool kit for fan clutch removal. I had to basically buy it and then return it when done. That is how they rent it, it was 70 bucks. I put it on a credit card no problems. The tool worked great. They had two types. one looked like a big set of pliers with a long handle, that is the one I used. It held the small bolts two at a time while I use a big wrench like the one in the pic's, I think it was 1and an1/8 inch. I went to harbor freight and bought the big wrench set then returned after. The parts store had the tools to do the job so check it out. It will save time in the long run.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
14 Posts
GM replacement WP bolts.

I replaced my WP, '03 Envoy XL 4.2L, and ordered replacement GM bolts. The OE TTY bolts are noticeably light in weight. I attempted to use one of the old bolts by inserting it through one of the pulley holes as a stop to loosen the FC, it snapped without excessive torque.
FWIW: The replacement bolts from GM are, however, noticeably heavier and do not appear to be TTY, so I just torqued the normally.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
18 months and 11k later, I have to replace water pump gain. Did it the right way the first time. New GM pump and fan clutch, new water pump bolts and
followed all torque specs
Water pump bearing is making noise again. This time
I am going aftermarket water pump for the lifetime warranty.
Screw the overpriced GM stuff.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
when removing fan is counter clockwise when the you are looking from the nose of the car or the driver side,can,t seem to get off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
when removing fan is counter clockwise when the you are looking from the nose of the car or the driver side,can,t seem to get off?
It's counter clockwise looking from the nose, aka towards the passenger side while looking at the front of the vehicle.

I just did this last night...my hands are sore and bloody and there is coolant all over the driveway. But hell, new water pump, fan clutch and thermostat are all installed and everything seems to be working.

GIANT piece of advice, get a chain as some previous posters may have mentioned, and remove one of the water pump pulley bolts. Put the bolt through a link and put it back in the pulley. Then run the chain through the bracket right above the alternator. Some people used a lock to secure the chain, but I just threaded it through a couple times then bolted to the bolt on the radiator support for the bracket that holds the battery cover in place.

Once you get it setup, turn the pulley to the left so that the chain is tight, then put your fan clutch wrench (available at any auto parts store for rent) on the nut and see if you can't just brute force it. Everyone else seems to club it with a hammer, which I did several times before I put the chain on. However, once I put the chain on, I was able to just pull the wrench, with a decent amount of force, and break the nut loose.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Other words of wisdom, after having just completed this:

Listen to the book a little more. I have a Chilton guide that has pretty much the step by step on this, but it can be confusing to follow. The OP did a great job, but some of the pieces for a non-mechanic, like myself, seemed to be missing.

For example, the books says to remove the radiator...tho you don't need to completely remove it, it sure as hell helped to remove the top radiator support so that you can move the radiator just enough to get the fan shroud past the filler neck. Had I done that an hour earlier, I would have saved a lot of trouble.

Also, the transmission cooler lines get in the way and it's much easier if you just pop those out of the bottom of the radiator to give you a little more play. Just removing them from the shroud wasn't quite enough.

The books says to remove the intake box, but I didn't see that as necessary. It wasn't in the way that much.

There isn't much to do about making a mess, though I would strongly suggest draining the radiator from the start. For that, just remove the lower radiator hose and let it drain. The OP doesn't make mention of that and from the looks of it he had coolant all over the place. The book also states, and the instructions on the water pump require that you actually flush the coolant or you void the warranty. But for a $45 part, a simple drain and refill is sufficient for me...

Other notes, vice grips are nice for the hose clamps...my hands were too tired by the end of the night to keep enough pressure on the clamps to get them back on.

Still missing pieces...I don't know exactly how you're supposed to torque the fan nut to 41 ft-lbs, but I did what I could. I didn't know they made an open ended torque wrench.

Again, hope some of this is useful.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
16 Posts
I just semi-finished the water pump replacement on my 2007 Trailblazer. The OP steps worked fine but my Trailblazer didn't want to cooperate (I guess it didn't read the post).

First off, the BFW and hammer method didn't work so I switched to the chain method. A word of warning; don't go cheap when buying the chain. I went with a 250lb chain and it snapped. When it snapped I scrapped up my knuckles and the free-flying chain section took out two blades of the fan and a chunk of fan shroud. That's why I'm semi-finished. I hit up the Lowes for a 500lb chain and that worked fine.

Now the new pump is in and tested but the fan shakes real bad so I won't drive it. I took a trip out to the local junk yards and there isn't an intact fan to be found. The dealer can't get one for two weeks so it's Rock Auto to the rescue. Because of the holiday the new fan will be here Saturday.

BTW, the fan in my 2007 is black, not white like the OP. I know it doesn't make a difference but just so you know. The old pump had a lot of play in it but it never leaked. I 'm glad I decided to change the fan clutch assembly as well. The old fan was free wheeling and had some wobble as well.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle_xuv
28 Posts
Water pump

I did not use the chain method but I did not know about it. I rented the tools at the local parts store. I started to take out the rad and cooler lines but said the hell with that everyone else got it out by not doing those unnecessary steps. it was tight but I had to unbolt the fan blade from the clutch to get it out. Thankfully I did not **** up the rad or blades. I did bleed a bit though so, we all learn from doing. this is a great site to find info....:D:D

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
16 Posts
OK, now I'm finished. RockAuto got everything here on Saturday, two days before the promise date. I can't believe how much the fan and clutch weigh. No wonder the water pumps blow bearings.

The only problem I had was the electric clip for the new clutch won't lock into the fan shroud. It was so nice of the manufacturers to include bolt holes in the shroud and clip, so I kept it in place that way (see picture).

Lastly, the second picture is the broken blade on the fan, that sent the whole thing wobbling. Two blades were broken, this one is the worse of the two.

Attachments

321 - 340 of 366 Posts