Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a replacement windshiled wiper motor for my TB. I looked in the "How to" sticky but didnt see a write up on how to replace it. So I guess here is the opportunity for someone to add to an already impressive list of how to's by doing a write up on it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,232 Posts
1. Turn the key to the OFF position.
2. Open the hood.
3. Remove the three push-in retainers that attach the air inlet grille (leaf screen) to the plenum sheet metal.
4 . Lower the hood to the secondary latch.
5. Using a suitable marker or masking tape, mark the location on both wiper blades on the windshield.
6. Remove the covers from the nuts that attach the wiper arms.
7. Remove the nuts from the wiper arms.
Important
If the rocking action in the next step fails to loosen the wiper arm, it may be necessary to use a standard top-post battery cable terminal puller to remove the wiper arm.
8. Rock the wiper arms back and forth to loosen and remove them from the wiper transmission shaft.
9. Remove the antenna mast.
10. Remove the 10 mm hex head nut that attaches the left and right ends of the air inlet grille to the plenum sheet metal.
11. Remove the air inlet grille and reposition it up to the windshield. It is not necessary to disconnect the washer hose.
12. Remove the two 10 mm hex head bolts that attach the wiper module to the plenum sheet metal.
13. Disconnect the electrical connector.
14. Position the new wiper module to the vehicle and connect the electrical connector.
15. Install the wiper module in the plenum sheet metal.
16. Install the two 10 mm hex head bolts that attach the module to the plenum sheet metal. Tighten nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
17.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, turn the wiper switch ON, and visually verify that the wiper transmissions operate. After visually verifying operation, turn the wiper switch to the OFF position and allow the wiper transmissions to stop moving before turning the ignition switch to the OFF position. The wiper motor will now be in the PARK position.
18. Using the marks or masking tape that were placed on the windshield, align and position the wiper arms on the wiper transmission shafts.
19. Install the nuts on the wiper transmission shafts. Tighten the nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
20. Install the covers on the wiper arm nuts.
21. Remove the marks or masking tape from the windshield.
22. Open the hood.
23. Install the three push-in retainers that attach the air inlet grille to the plenum sheet metal.
24. Close the hood.
25. Verify that all functions of the wiper system (low, high, delay, etc.) operate properly.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
You will need some kind of puller for a virgin replacement. The leaf screen has some push in clips holding it down as well as the pushin pins, pry around the edges w/ long screwdriver pops right up...I throw a blanket on the windshield & lay the leaf cover on that, no need to fight with ant. & washer hose & that way it won't scratch the windshield.... :m2:{Motor at Autozone 74$ W/warr. for any Searchers}:thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this is a bit off topic, but what is the 'secondary latch'? I've never heard that reference on our vehicles before.
I believe he is referring to the hood latch. The secondary latch is what you manually push when you pop the hood. For the purpose of this thread, it is referring to not closing the hood all the way and letting it rest on the secondary latch.

Or I could be wrong, lol.:undecided

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You will need some kind of puller for a virgin replacement.... I throw a blanket on the windshield.... :m2:{Motor at Autozone 74$ W/warr. for any Searchers}:thumbsup:
Yep a puller is mentioned in the instructions. I used $4 top post battery terminal puller I bought from AutoZone. If you have trouble getting the puller claws under the arms because the inlet grill plastic is in the way, you might have to do what I did and stop the wipers half-way across the windshield by pulling out the fuse #33 under the back seat in mid-wipe. That gave me plenty of room to hook the puller claws under each arm and pop them off.

Also, I would put that blanket on the hood too, in case a wiper arm pops off and lands on the hood. Happened to me, but luckily no scratch or damage was done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the detailed instructions for doing the swap and the usefull tips on how to remove the wipers and avoid damaging the windshield. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i replaced the wiper motor and after i was done the wipers no longer return to the HOME position they sit about a third of the way through the movement but still manage to clean entire windshield why are they not stopping at HOME?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello from France! :tiphat

First of all, thanks to tblazed for the walk through. I just replaced my wiper motor assembly, and I figured it would be nice to add photos to this topic. Also, I did a few steps slightly differently so here is the whole process with the photos.

1. Mark the location of both wiper blades on the windshield with masking tape.

2. Turn the key to the OFF position and open the hood.

3. Remove the three push-in retainers that attach the air inlet grille (leaf screen) to the plenum sheet metal, using a screwdriver and some patience.

4. Lower the hood to the secondary latch and remove the covers from the nuts that attach the wiper arms.

5. Remove the nuts from the wiper arms. [Important: if the rocking action in the next step fails to loosen the wiper arm, it may be necessary to use a standard top-post battery cable terminal puller to remove the wiper arm, although I did not have to do this on my '02 TB]

6. Rock the wiper arms back and forth to loosen and remove them from the wiper transmission shaft.

7. Remove the antenna mast.

8. Remove the 10 mm hex head nut that attaches the left and right ends of the air inlet grille to the plenum sheet metal.

9. Remove the air inlet grille and reposition it up to the windshield. It is not necessary to disconnect the washer hose.

10. Disconnect the electrical connector.

11. Remove the two 10 mm hex head bolts that attach the wiper module to the plenum sheet metal. Remove the module.

12. Here is the new vs old module:

13. Position the new wiper module to the vehicle and connect the electrical connector.

14. Install the wiper module in the plenum sheet metal.

15. Install the two 10 mm hex head bolts that attach the module to the plenum sheet metal. Tighten nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

16.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, turn the wiper switch ON, and visually verify that the wiper transmissions operate. After visually verifying operation, turn the wiper switch to the OFF position and allow the wiper transmissions to stop moving before turning the ignition switch to the OFF position. The wiper motor will now be in the PARK position.

17. Using the marks or masking tape that were placed on the windshield, align and position the wiper arms on the wiper transmission shafts.

18. Install the nuts on the wiper transmission shafts. Tighten the nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

19. Install the covers on the wiper arm nuts.

20. Remove the marks or masking tape from the windshield.

21. Open the hood and install the three push-in retainers that attach the air inlet grille to the plenum sheet metal.

22. Close the hood and verify that all functions of the wiper system (low, high, delay, etc.) operate properly. Enjoy the smooth operation of new module!

·
Registered
31 Posts
X post - If your wipers are just chattering when on intermittent there is no need to replace the motor. It’s just grease from the gear drive on the wiper motor transmission that has oozed down on to the contacts as drolds72 pointed out in this thread. Thanks drolds72 :cool:

Follow the same procedure to remove the wiper assembly.

Remove these screws using a T20 torx bit.

Pry the cover off. It will sound like stuff is cracking and breaking but it is only the adhesive that holds the case together.

Wipe contacts and contact surface clean and reassemble.

Done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
412Envoyboy

Good day all. New member with a question on wipers. I have a 2002 Envoy. Whenever the wipers are on intermittent mode and they are on their way down the wiper "chatter" (the blades do not come down smooth) When the wipers are on continuous fast or slow they work fine. Any thoughts on this? :thx

·
Registered
7 Posts
4x4 not working when cold

Another problem with my 2002 Envoy. When its cold out say below zero degrees, my 4x4 does not work. I get the warning light on the dash and the 4x4 selector knob is no longer lite. When the car is warmed up say after 30 minutes, and I stop and restart the SUV it works as it should. I know its heat related because if I put an interior car warmer on prior to the first start of the day it usually works. GM said it was the 4x4 control module behind the dash by your right leg. A:ugh:nyone have this happen or know the true fix. the module is $500.00.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts