1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to replace the clicking door stop on a 2002 GMC Envoy
[email protected]

Symptoms: each time you open / close the door it clicks – this only gets worse and louder over time

My Vehicle: 2002 GMC Envoy L6 with 181k miles. Mine has been clicking for quite some time and it was driving me nuts!

Time needed to repair: 30 minutes max

Tools needed: 10mm socket wrench with short and long extension, long flat bladed screw driver or 2” wide putty knife – plastic type is best to avoid scratching the paint on the door.

Replacement part: GM # 15196109 (this appears to be the same for the left or right door) $43.89 plus shipping from www.gmpartsdirect.com

Procedure:

1. Raise the window on the door you are working on.

2. Loosen the two 10mm bolts that anchor the door stop to the chassis (A pillar)
3. Peel back the rubber grommet on the door (door stop reaches through grommet)

4. Loosen the two 10mm nuts on the door stop – careful not to drop them

5. Using a screw driver or putty knife pry straight up the window switch pane on the arm rest. Do not unplug any wires

6. Just behind the hand-hold on the door you will see a well with a 10mm bolt at the bottom –loosen it and remove it

7. Under the power window switches (you removed in step 4) you will see a second 10mm bolt. Loosen and remove it.

8. You can no remove the door panel. There about 12 white plastic snaps. Starting near the mirror, slowly work you way around pulling the door panel away from the sheet metal for the vehicle’s door. Some may stay in the sheet metal; some will pull away with the plastic. You can fix this later. Let the door hang on the wires (window switches & mirror control) – Be careful not to pull on the wires.

9. Remove the two blots that hold the Door stop to the A pillar (you loosened them in step 2).

10. Remove the grommet and set aside. You need to reuse this part

11. With the plastic door panel removed peel the black soft plastic from the back closest to the mirror. Be careful not to rip it and you will see black soft adhesive that holds it in place.

12. Remove the two nuts that hold the door stop to the door. These were under the grommet on the door jam – on the door.

13. Reach inside the door and remove the door stop. Remove the gasket as well – you get a new one with your new door stop. I found wiggling the door stop up and behind the window guide worked the best.

14. Install you new door stop – check the orientation – one way if for the left side and the other way is for the right. The part is marked on both sides to help you out.

15. Install and tighten the nuts onto the 10mm studs. Install the grommet on the arm of the door stop.

16. Loosely install the bolts that attach the door stop to the A pillar – this is to make sure you have not put it in upside down.

17. Re attach the black plastic to the stick stuff.

18. Re attach the door panel

19. Re install the two 10mm bolts that secure the panel to the metal of the door - under the arm rest.

20. Snap the window switch panel back in place.

21. Tighten the nuts and bolts on your new door stop. Install the grommet to keep water out.

The job is done – no more annoying clicking noise!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
Nice write up. The one on my drivers door broke in half at around 120K. I have never seen one of these break before.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
Me too

Mine has 198K and although clicking annoys me not $50 worth. So after reading your great post I realized the parts are the same left and right so I swapped them over, except when the wife joins me no more clicking. Thanks for the clue

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
37 Posts
Thanks!!!!!

Thanks for posting! Just did mine today after reading your post, damn door checks...

Dealer wanted $60 for LH & $80 for RH...

Got them at the yard for 5 bucks & an hour of time....

They came off an Envoy & fit the 2002 TB fine but I do think they are different on each side as LH/RH is stamped 2x on them....

Thanks again!

Time, 45mins, both doors done...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
37 Posts
After my searching I ended up w 3, so I have an extra LH door stop, fits my 02' TB, came off Envoy year unknown. $5 & ship & it's yours, PM me...

·
Registered
chevy
12 Posts
Hey guys,

I just fixed my door check by grinding the bottom of the rivet with a Dremel and prying the rivet out with a screw driver. Then I remover the two bolts that hold the bracket to the body. Held the bracket in a vise and used a uni-bit drill bit to open up the upper and lower holes to 5/16 diameter. Opened up the hole in the "arm" to 5/16 using the same bit. I use a Uni-bit because they cut a better (more round) hole in thin material. I used a Socket head cap screw that was long enough to have the unthreaded part fit through both the upper and lower parts of the bracket. I cut off the extra thread length with a hacksaw, probably did'nt have to, but what the hack. Put the bracket back on the truck with the two original bolts. Put the socket head cap screw, two washers and a locknut back on to hold the arm in place. Snugged it up, and it works perfect!!

Maybe not as pretty as some would like, but good enough for a 2002 TB with 241,000 miles.

$$ spent = 0

Being able to open the door without scaring everybody around = priceless

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Hey guys,

I just fixed my door check by grinding the bottom of the rivet with a Dremel and prying the rivet out with a screw driver. Then I remover the two bolts that hold the bracket to the body. Held the bracket in a vise and used a uni-bit drill bit to open up the upper and lower holes to 5/16 diameter. Opened up the hole in the "arm" to 5/16 using the same bit. I use a Uni-bit because they cut a better (more round) hole in thin material. I used a Socket head cap screw that was long enough to have the unthreaded part fit through both the upper and lower parts of the bracket. I cut off the extra thread length with a hacksaw, probably did'nt have to, but what the hack. Put the bracket back on the truck with the two original bolts. Put the socket head cap screw, two washers and a locknut back on to hold the arm in place. Snugged it up, and it works perfect!!

Maybe not as pretty as some would like, but good enough for a 2002 TB with 241,000 miles.

$$ spent = 0

Being able to open the door without scaring everybody around = priceless

Good luck
This worked great and saved me time and cash. Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Thanks much chevytruckluvr!

Just fixed my '02 TB drivers door using your suggestion and it worked perfectly!

No more "click-click"....and didn't cost me anything but time.

:thx

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Yes these door stops are interchangeable. I just switch mine out today from the passenger side to the driver. you just have to flip it over. The wife will have to deal with it when she rides shotgun;):tiphat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts