Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
18 Posts
I'm a new member. I joined within the past week and love the fourm. I have learned so much about my TB. It seems like there is an abundance of throttlebody, spark plug, thermostat , fan clutch and A/C issues. This weekend I replaced/cleaned them all to avoid any issues for my girlfriend while I'm deployed. I just wanted to thank you and people like you emtwo for the toturials. Great job and thanks!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
5 Posts
Great tutorial!

Thanks for the detailed pictures and commentary. About to do a plug change and throttle body cleaning myself. Should be a lot easier now!:thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
61 Posts
I got another set of Iridium plugs after I ruined my last set, good thing AZ gave me a return for them. Cleaned the throttle body and changed the plugs and all is well. I ended up breaking the tabs that hold the wire loom down so I can get better access to the #1.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
183 Posts
:thumbsup:fantastic right up...this should be in the articles...the pics were great...i did this and was in a rush at the end(was like 30 degrees outside and ran out of gas for the heater) and didn't check to make sure the breather hose on the bottom of the resonator was connected to the valve cover and my 06 envoy threw a code for bank one running lean:duh:...checked under the hood and found the hose was off...put it back on and all was good...i agree about cleaning the TB at the same time...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
101 Posts
When do we need to change these, I am now at 96k and the Wife reports it used a full tank of fuel in 3 days.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
Great job

I got into a huge debate with a "ding-bat" at two local repair shops. They both told me that this job would cost a couple extra bucks ($150-200) because the spark plugs on the right side of the engine are harder to get to. I told them that this engine is inline. They laughed at me and said I didn't know what I was talking about. Both shops said the same thing....I'm definately not going there. All they had to do was either 1) Listen to me cause I own the truck or 2) open the darn hood!!! :)

Either way, I knew this job was easy (even if it was a V-6), and your post only made me realize even more that I shouldn't have tried going somewhere else for something this easy.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Great how-to...I've never had to change plugs that had boots. I changed all of the plugs (didn't remove the loom conduit on the 1st plug), started the envoy and it idled rough. I was told the plugs weren't gapped, so I took them all off and gapped them...still rough. Double checked all coils, still rough. Finally I assumed that the first boot wasn't down all the way because of the angle. I tried to get the snaps off with no luck, so I just broke them to get the conduit loom off, then was able to get the boot straight down. Just some advice to not worry about breaking the snaps, well worth the headache. A 60 min job turned into longer than I'd like to admit. :bonk:

Also, I got the ac-delco. Bought them online at advance auto for pick-up (had a coupon) sent the wife to go get them and they didn't have 6 so they gave her autolite instead...I returned them immediately.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
29 Posts
Replaceing Spark Plugs

Has any one used the new E 3 PLUGS yet and does any one use Royal Purple Syn. Oil?? new guy here , I use it in my 71 gto. thanks Ned:cool:

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
29 Posts
replace spark plugs

In addition to some people's replies I also have never changed anything but conventional plugs. I was in the middle of trying to figure it out on my own and wanted to make sure I wouldn't make a mistake and stumbled on this perfect tutorial. I'll post a reply when I'm done, which should be in a couple hours according to the previous post...
Hello all I looked at all the ways to change spark plugs here and I want to thank all of the people who took the time to show and how to do it right the first time. I changed them today and replaced the boots that fit over the plugs, # 3 was badly rusted and the throttle body was BLACK. I cleaned it up and it runs GREAT. 56,289 miles, Ned Pa.:woohoo::thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Thank you Emtwo. I used your guide here (and the Throttle body guide) to change plugs and clean up a 2004 trailblazer. I have 130K Kms on it (a bit over 80K miles) and really could have left the plugs a bit longer, but have been watching my fuel economy drop over the past 2 years.

I think the biggest gain will be the throttle body as the inside was black and the flap was black around the edges, I've got the battery cable unplugged now to reset PCM - the only words of advice, don't tighten the battery post too tight and wish I'd seen the torque setting on the plastic top for the plugs (I didn't follow it) and the hint to be careful with the coil cover bolts (I didn't break any, but was not as gentle as I should be) in the posts.

I have the dealer replacing the themostat tomorrow (too busy to do another weekend project), so hoping that resolves the last of my issues.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
29 Posts
Thank you for the write up. Just changed the plugs in my new to me 2004 Envoy SLT with 100,000 miles. I got it for my 14 year old son who gets his school permit in January. 30 minutes time and $24 for Delco plugs. I'll be doing both differentials, transfer case and radiator this weekend. $75 for all the fluids vs $500+ at the stealership. I'm going to have the tranny fluid and filter done by a shop though. I also did the Seafoam trick yesterday through the brake booster and wow, what a smoke show that was.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
14 Posts
spark plug

is ACDELCO the way to go for spark plugs? what about idium or what ever and platium does that make a difference. I would rather spend a little more and get better quality parts and to have to do it twice.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
27 Posts
About the PCM reset...

I know this is as dumb as dumb can be of a question...
I will be tackling them plugs on my 02 Voy XL SLT (103Kish miles) and I was told and been reading thru this thread about the PCM reset/neg terminal battery unplugged; so, we unplug the - terminal before everything else, right? And plug it back on after everything is done... then, unplug again for 1/2 hour for the PCM reset? How can the computer (system) reset it with the negative unhooked?
I am getting dumb-er am I? :eek:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ltz
21 Posts
Just did this today...

Thanks for the great instructions and the pictures. It made it very easy!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
I know this is as dumb as dumb can be of a question...
I will be tackling them plugs on my 02 Voy XL SLT (103Kish miles) and I was told and been reading thru this thread about the PCM reset/neg terminal battery unplugged; so, we unplug the - terminal before everything else, right? And plug it back on after everything is done... then, unplug again for 1/2 hour for the PCM reset? How can the computer (system) reset it with the negative unhooked?
I am getting dumb-er am I? :eek:
disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes is the reset

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
Project Complete

Awesome! Just got done doing this project. Only took me 10 min for plugs and a few minutes to clean up the throttle body:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the help,I have been procrastinating doing this plugs and wires,afraid of messing it up.But your fotos maded really easy.
Again ,thank you.
Henri.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts