Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the official article found here is pretty explanatory, but I figured I would post a step-by-step guide to changing Envoy headlights because there are no pictures specifically for the Envoys, and some of us (myself included) need to know how to change our headlights. Through pictures, I will show how to change the lo-beam lights on my 2002 Envoy.

Tools Required: Fingers

Parts Needed: 9006 (low-beam) or 9005 (high-beam) headlight/headlamp
Double check exactly which bulbs you need for your particular vehicle!

Difficulty: Very Easy

Estimated Time: 4-5 minutes per headlight, or 10 minutes while holding a camera in one hand

Cost: $49.99 for (2) Sylvania SilverStar "Ultra" High-Performance Halogen Headlights (better prices might exist elsewhere, I just wanted mine immediately so I paid full price)

Installation:

1) Lift sliding tabs up to free the headlight housing
2) Pull housing forward
3) Remove rubber cap
4) Lift clip and move plug away from the bulb
5) Turn headlight base 90 degrees counter-clockwise and remove
6) Holding new headlight (by the base only!) insert bulb
7) Turn new headlight base 90 degrees clockwise until it feels firmly in place
8) Re-attach wire plug (slightly tricky if you have big fingers) until it clicks
9) Replace rubber cap over the hole
10) Briefly turn on headlights, check that the bulbs work, turn off headlights
11) Push housing back into place
12) Push sliding tabs down to secure the headlight housing

Steps 1 - 3:

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Steps 4 - 8:

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
1,012 Posts
Good job on the quick response thread! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
Just a heads up man... If you're spending 50 bucks on a set of Silverstar Ultras, you could pay 5 to 15 more bucks for a good set of HIDs with about 2 or 3 times the output. I made the jump from SS to HID and I gotta say, it was worth the mulah. You won't regret it if you do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ughh

i wish i could have seen this before but maybe its different for a trailblazer i had to take the ****er in because it had to have the grill replaced or something! i've dont headlights on soooo many cars and the trailblazer was such a pain.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
i wish i could have seen this before but maybe its different for a trailblazer i had to take the ****er in because it had to have the grill replaced or something! i've dont headlights on soooo many cars and the trailblazer was such a pain.
It is indeed different for the TB. If you would have done a search here first you would have found instructions on how to remove the grill.

Oh well...live and learn:duh:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Steps 9 - 12:
Anyone know if the little star headlight adjusters are available as replacement parts? I just changed the lamps on my Envoy and the LH adjuster dropped into neverland somewhere between the "Part robbing" crevices of the fascia, rad support and engine cradle. I just gave up searching and figured that I could pick up a replacement at the dealer.

During my drive this evening the headlight is pointing squarely down at the road. Now I read that some others in the forum indicated that you need to buy the entire assembly to get these star adjusters? Man I hope not!

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
1,012 Posts
Anyone know if the little star headlight adjusters are available as replacement parts? I just changed the lamps on my Envoy and the LH adjuster dropped into neverland somewhere between the "Part robbing" crevices of the fascia, rad support and engine cradle. I just gave up searching and figured that I could pick up a replacement at the dealer.

During my drive this evening the headlight is pointing squarely down at the road. Now I read that some others in the forum indicated that you need to buy the entire assembly to get these star adjusters? Man I hope not!
You can always get one at a junkyard

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
Question: I just bought at started to instal some Halo Fog lights. Now, I got the projector of the fog lights to work. But the Halo light needs hooked up. There is a red and black wire that I can hook up pretty much anywhere I guess. I want to hook the Halo light up to my daylight headlamps. Now, I noticed that there are 4 wires going into the headlamp, 2 blacks, a green and an orange with a white stripe. Which wires do I tap into?

·
Registered
2005 gmc
1 Posts
Thanks McFly! It didn't even take 5 minutes per side, thanks to your pics and simple instructions! You saved my day!!!:woot:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts