Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

701 - 720 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
gmc envoy_denali
2 Posts
My wifes dies tonight. Blower motor stays on when truck is turned off.

It looks like there is a few options.

2005 envoy denali with the auto
is the kit i need 15-81773?

To keep my wife happy going to overnight the part. To cold not to have a heater.

·
Registered
1 Posts
to k2jjb

fantastic info and instructions !!! because of this post , my niece now has heat in the michigan winter. part was $31 out the door at auto zone & was in stock. 20 minute job thanks !!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
160 Posts
I wired mine so that the fan is either fully on with 12volts across the blower fan or completely off, placing appropriate jumpers across the resistor so that all speed settings push the fan to the maximum speed.

I dont see why I need the 2, 3 and 4 speeds as they only serve to create heat which is insignificant compared to the heater core during winter and counter productive during the summer.

It might be worth keeping speed 1 since it produces very little heat but I decided not to.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Blower Resistor melted/ Safety Issue?

I just replaced mine for the second time, the last one lasted 3 years. Auto Zone warranted it and the pigtail that burnt up with it so it only cost me for the tape, connectors, and time. This appears to be a safety hazard that GM should have recalled. The resistor and wiring was melted and could have caused a fire. Obviously GM has a issue here or there would not be so many pages dedicated to this thread. This is not a normal wear thing. Please take the time to report it to the NHTSA so they can look in to it.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
21 Posts
I replaced mine. It was very corroded.

The new one is made in Korea, looks to be of much better quality, and it works.

I wish I had a functional blower when it was -14°F 2 days ago...

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
So I am getting no action from the fan. When I try to select 1-4 nothing. However there is a clicking sound when I select 5. I was getting by by wacking the dash to get it to click on. Do I need to replace the resistor?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
6 Posts
I've got a 2005 TrailBlazer with only about 90,000 miles on it. My number 5 heater position stopped working. Then, after a slight hot smell in the TB everything stopped working. The resistors themselves look OK but the plug got so hot the plastic melted and fused together. I had to tear it apart to get it unplugged. One pin, fifth from the outside end of the plug, was burned clear off. Some of the insulation is burned off a couple of wires in the harness also. Luckily we didn't have a full blown fire. Reporting to NHTSB might be a good idea. This could be dangerous on these older units. I've ordered a kit with resistor unit and harness pigtail from Amazon.

Thanks for the good info on this string!

Re. Photo
Damage to socket was breaking it apart to get fused plug out.
Pin E was burned clear off with a small blob of melted metal on left side. Cavity blasted in plastic probably as a result of final arcing.
Pin G has some of the plastic melted around it but the pin was not badly burned.
Upper side of socket was fused to plug from pin E to G. Lower side fused at pin E.
It must have gotten real hot for a short period of time.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
what causes this anyway? faulty design? or is there too much draw on a certain setting?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
29 Posts
Resistor

Well i didn't have a problem with melting, I just switched it out with new one and all speeds work fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
does the fuse control the a/c switch too? i lost the fan speeds for the third time and thought the a/c was not working because of it. i put the new fuse in and still the a/c clutch will not engage.

trying to figure out what is causing this issue, the fuse or something else

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
130 Posts
Hmmmm, just replaced mine and 4 does not work, but everything else is great.....

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
2004 Trailblazer
Fan was only working on 3-5, which was ok, but then when 3&4 stopped working I'd had enough.

Replaced the resistor with $30 part BU1070 from advanced auto parts and now all fan speeds are working properly. No signs of obvious damage to the old part, the silver "fin" on the back of the resistor looks a little corroded but that's all.

If you have the parts and know where to look (under the glove compartment behind the black plastic kicker panel and up) it's an easy fix for even a novice like myself. Took about 30 mins all said and done.

Between this part and the mode selector solenoid that I replaced, I went from non-functioning HVAC to a system that works like new.

Thanks to all forum members for the help and support.

-BerthaBluBlazer

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Replaced the connector and resistor in mine seemingly with no issues, but the car wont start now. Any ideas what is going on?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
I just replaced my blower motor module in my 2003 Trailblazer ltz ACDelco p/n 15-81773 . I may offer some suggestions , disconnect the battery, I had my door open w/the light on and the radio keeping me company . When it came time to check my install , the battery was dead, not only that when I was soldering the three wires on the harness I shorted the red wire [hot] to a ground somehow. The ignition switch was on because I was playing the radio, the short popped the 40amp fuse #35 I think in the fuse block under the hood. After charging the battery still no fan, remembering the sparks while soldering I checked all the fuses and found 35 blown , a quick trip to the auto parts store and finally HVAC fan works.

A BIG thanks to everyone who posted on this subject, I know that I can count Trailvoy.com to help keep my Trailblazer running 144,00 miles and counting.

On another subject I am quite put out on several issues w/my Trailblazer.
1. Transmission lines and power steering lines rusting through, GM have you hear of plating things? Or is this just a cost cutting measure

Again thanks for all posts.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
45 Posts
This appears to be a safety hazard that GM should have recalled. The resistor and wiring was melted and could have caused a fire. Obviously GM has a issue here or there would not be so many pages dedicated to this thread. This is not a normal wear thing. Please take the time to report it to the NHTSA so they can look in to it.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
I had a 1992 (I think) Blazer many years ago. It had the old physical switch that moved along the X axis for fan speeds. I lost two of the highest fan positions at one point, even seeing a tiny bit of smoke coming from the switch when this happened. I took it apart, and the insulation on the wires were melted. I rigged it up where it would work on high only, and it lasted me until the car finally died. This tells me that GM has had a problem with fan controls for a long while, most likely due to using the cheapest-**** parts they can use to save money.

One thing I did back then, and am doing right now as I just lost all fan control in my 2002 TB, is to put the AC on outside air coming in and keeping a window cracked so that when I'm driving down the road, I at least get a little bit of AC coming through the vents. It worked back around 1999 when I went on vacation, and it's working right now, though one must be going around 50+ MPH to really get any air moving into the AC system.

Still, anyone who's lost their AC/Heat fan, do this and at least you will get a little bit of cool/warm air into your cabin until you get it repaired.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 Trailblazer LS, 114,000 miles

I replaced the resistor on mine last month because I lost speed 5. When I started replacing it I noticed that someone had added a wire from the black wire at the blower motor to a bolt for ground. I installed the new resisitor pack and did away with the extra wire.

My blower worked fine on all speeds, until yesterday afternoon. It was working yesterday morning but when I headed home it would not come on, which made it fun as I was driving in a downpour with no defogger. I made it home and an hour or so later, after the rain stopped, I went out to check the fuses. Both were good so I started the TB and the blower came on and worked on all speeds.

This morning it did not work again. Now I have no blower at all. I am wondering if there is a ground loose somewhere that may be affecting this.Both the 40amp fuse under the hood and the 10 amp fuse under the seat are good. When I take a volt meter and check the wires at the motor I am showing 14 volts with the engine running on speeds 1-4 and 13.5 volts on speed 5. WIth the engine off(key on) they are 12.5 and 12 respectively.

Now, the part I do not understand is, I get those same readings from the black wire coming out of the motor. This is why I am guessing there is a ground wire somewhere that is loose and why they previos owner had spliced a ground on the black wire coming out of the blower motor. I have not yet redone that but am seriously considering it as these days have been pretty hot.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
45 Posts
I had to "rig" something similar to my old Blazer back around 1995. I too ran an additional ground wire to the old wiring harness that was connected to the switch. Back then, if I remember correctly, the actual switch had resistors built into it, hence why I discovered if I replaced the ground with a very thick wire, all worked fine.

With these "newer" vehicles, I cannot say, but I would experiment with your supplemental ground wire. If it works, then I say go with it until it presents a problem again. BUT, I'd use a heavy gauge wire for said ground. I tried a thinner wire back then, but it was getting a bit hot and the insulation started melting a few days after my "rig". Once I went to a heavy gauge wire, it worked until I sold the vehicle. This is NOT a real fix, just a work-around, but back then I was strapped for money and being in a hot climate and having young children in the single-digit range age-wise, I did what I needed to do to keep them cool during 100F summers. Your profile says you're in Smyrna, which I'm guessing is in TN. I'm one state above you, so you know just how muggy and hot it can get here in this part of the country. Like I said, keeping my very young children from getting sick from the heat was my main priority!

Hope you find a solution. This forum seems to be packed with info. Take the time to really explore around here. I'm sure you'll find real info and fixes for your problem.

.......rob

701 - 720 of 756 Posts