Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
155 Posts
I had a shot blower resistor pack (no 1,2 or 3 speeds on the blower) so I ordered a replacement unit. It arrived today and I put it in just now. I looked around and did not see a "how to" on it, so maybe this will help some others.

Vehicle 2002 Trailblazer LS - no automatic temp controls

Time spent: about 20 minutes (spent time getting the right stuff from the garage :) ).

Part: blower motor resistor (I used parts4chevys.com so I used the drill down menu to find it, sorry I do not have the PN handy)

Tools:
7mm socket or nut driver
7/32" socket or nut driver
one long screw driver (flat blade) - optional
flash light - optional

step one: locate the two 7mm screws holding the plastic kick plate under the passenger side dash, remove them, and then carefully remove the plastic cover

step 2: look up under there and you can see the old resistor pack. It has one connector and a pair of wires going from it. Unscrew the two 7/32" screws and it will come down, unclip the wire harness

step 3: open the glovebox and empty it, now release the catch so that it can hang down

step 4: locate the end of the wires that came from the resistor pack, they are plugged into the blower, release the clip and remove them (I used a screw driver to push in on the little clip to release it)

step 5: reverse the process and install the new one :)

here is the comparison of the two

hope that helps somebody....

From the Roadie: Since everybody looks in this post if they use a search, I'm just going to add the schematic HERE for one-stop shopping

Attachments

• 73.5 KB Views: 108,026

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
can yoiu list the part no and price for the part? thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where I ordered it from does not show the PN, sorry. I just used their drill down menu until I found

"Mechanical Catalog - 2002 - Chevrolet/Geo - Trailblazer
Hvac, Controls, Blower motor, Resistor, Resistor, s-series, bravada/envoy/trailblazer"

I also did not see a part number on the part itself.

It cost me $38 + s/h. The local dealer here wanted $60 for it, so it was better than that even with the shipping.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Great write up!

part # 89019100 I think mine was about $35. The best part about Parts4Chevys is that they have reasonable shipping rates compared to others.

Under the Resources tab, at the top right of the page, there are a bunch of part numbers listed for various items. We as members can add to this list and keep it current for any and all parts. A great helper for ordering for mods and regular replacement parts:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
37 Posts
Yep, replaced mine about 3 months ago. Took longer to find it than to actually replace it. The new part was very different looking, as shown above, than the old part. Maybe an upgraded part??

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
I did this repair last weekend. I lost fan speed #5, and put it off for a while.

This write-up was very helpful, and other than needing to be a contortionist, it wasn't too bad a job.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
17 Posts
Thanks for pics. My blower setting #1 is out so I'll have to do mine. I more or less knew where it was how to get to it, but the pics difintely helped out. I am getting one from AC/DELCO for about $38

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
912 Posts
Great write up! Nice pics too!

We have this problem on our trucks too. Some people have to do over and over again? Luckily I've been immune to this issue thus far....*knocks on wood*.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
137 Posts
Thanks for this write up, it helped me immensely. My #5 position fan switch went out yesterday, I read this post and replaced the blower fan resistor this morning. The only problem I had was trying to contort myself inside the passenger side to remove and reinstall it. I'm 6'5" and a biscuit less than 300 pounds lol

Talking to the parts guy at the Chevy dealer, he said that this is a problem with all Chevrolets, this resistor fails quite often. He also said that usually the socket melts from overheating.

Thanks for a great post! :thx

·
Registered
31 Posts
well ive been putting off getting to this for a while ive been kinda in denial i thought that this was wrong i have no 1 2 3 speeds. i figured since im broke that this fix had to be expensive but now that i know its not ill probably even do it myself

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
16 Posts
It's fixed

The job went just as described in this thread didn't take 30 minutes {cause i'm old and slow} But I lost my 7/32 nut driver. eh it'l turn up somewhere.
This site is exelent i'll be here everytime I need you! I don't have much to offer yet I'm kinda dated with any car above mid 80's
Again Thanks
Tumba:woohoo:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Great write up!

part # 89019100 I think mine was about $35. The best part about Parts4Chevys is that they have reasonable shipping rates compared to others.

Under the Resources tab, at the top right of the page, there are a bunch of part numbers listed for various items. We as members can add to this list and keep it current for any and all parts. A great helper for ordering for mods and regular replacement parts:thumbsup:
GMPartsDirect.com GM LIST: $53.14
OUR PRICE: $27.63

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've lost fan speed 1.
Is this indicative of a bad resistor pack?

1 - 20 of 756 Posts