Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote about this on another thread but I dont know how many people looked at it.
I am a machinist so it was a easy free thing for me. If you know a machinist or a machine shop this can be done in about 10 min.(a shop should not charge much)

I machined a groove the same diameter and width 1-3/8" lower on the strut. It has the same ride as stock:)

some pics.

I did this about 2 months ago and I have had no problems, I did cut the bump stop in half.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
thats nice and easy if you have the means to do it like yourself of anyone who knows someone with your skills

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wrote about this on another thread but I dont know how many people looked at it.
I am a machinist so it was a easy free thing for me. If you know a machinist or a machine shop this can be done in about 10 min.(a shop should not charge much)

I machined a groove the same diameter and width 1-3/8" lower on the strut. It has the same ride as stock:)

some pics.

I did this about 2 months ago and I have had no problems, I did cut the bump stop in half.

What do you do if you want or need to raise your truck back up??

·
Registered
2006 chevy
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you need to go back to stock just move the clip up to the stock groove. It is still there.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
i think thats awesome. my only question is how do you move the spring mount? stick it in some sort of press? aren't you worried about comprimising the "tightness" and having it pop out of the groove?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think thats awesome. my only question is how do you move the spring mount? stick it in some sort of press? aren't you worried about comprimising the "tightness" and having it pop out of the groove?
I used a spring compressor to get it apart. the lower groove I put on is the same as the factory one so if the factory one will hold mine will hold.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used a spring compressor to get it apart. the lower groove I put on is the same as the factory one so if the factory one will hold mine will hold.
Let me get this straight, (I haven't had mine apart yet) There's a clip like an e-clip type of thing holding the stock mounting perch in place??? It's not a step in the shock itself??

·
Registered
2006 chevy
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me get this straight, (I haven't had mine apart yet) There's a clip like an e-clip type of thing holding the stock mounting perch in place??? It's not a step in the shock itself??
Yes, That is what holds the truck up is a little clip. It looks scary like it would not hold, But it does.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
349 Posts
Pretty cool indeed, although I must say you left out an important photo....Your truck! We want to see it already.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
what is your measurement from the ground to the finder lip, measured from the center of the wheel. i might have my buddy machine the shock instead of making me collars

·
Registered
2006 chevy
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what is your measurement from the ground to the finder lip, measured from the center of the wheel. i might have my buddy machine the shock instead of making me collars
It is 30-5/8" in the front and 30-7/8" in the back.

I was going to make some collars also but then I thought of this. It was much less work plus it looks factory.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
626 Posts
can this be done on a non-ss tb?? how much did it lower your ss from stock?? 1-3/8" or is it not a 1 to 1 kinda thing??

·
Registered
2006 chevy
215 Posts
While you are at it why not cut two grooves about 3/4 or 1/2 inch apart so you could adjust again later if you do not like the first heigth. Just move the snap ring!! Let us know and good luck.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is 1 to 1 so if you cut a groove 1-3/8" that is what it will lower.

You could cut more than one groove. I did not because I have no need to change ride the height.

I do not know how the regular Trailblazers are set up. You might be able to do this mod?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
well i took my shocks to a machine shop yesterday, i was going to have collars made but did mod instead, i had 3 groves made 1 1/4', 1 1/2', 1 7/8'' lower. my truck is about an hour away so i wont be able to put them back in untill this weekend then i will be able to adjust the front to where i like it and it rides nice. now all i have to do is put my adjustable rear shocks in as the rear is too stiff with the shocks in there now and too soft with the stock ones, just have to cough up the dough which is ok the machining was done for free:D

·
Registered
2006 chevy
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i took my shocks to a machine shop yesterday, i was going to have collars made but did mod instead, i had 3 groves made 1 1/4', 1 1/2', 1 7/8'' lower. my truck is about an hour away so i wont be able to put them back in untill this weekend then i will be able to adjust the front to where i like it and it rides nice. now all i have to do is put my adjustable rear shocks in as the rear is too stiff with the shocks in there now and too soft with the stock ones, just have to cough up the dough which is ok the machining was done for free:D

I don't know if you should go lower than 1-1/2" because you are AWD, also don't forget to cut the bump stops. I cut mine in half and used the part without the metal on it.:)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
yeah 1.5 is where i will start then i will look at the upper ball joints, my 03 i had was 4x4 and was real low much lower then i will have the ss. i am trying to figure out how to put some adjustable coilovers on the front, the rears are easy to do. someone else with a 2wd ss did front and back but having an axle to go around it a little different just have to make a mount that will hold the shock tight!!! an eyelet will pivot like a hinge and not sure if a rod will be strong enough i would post some pics but you cant link to other forums but if you search enough you will find some really good pics and info on this

1 - 20 of 54 Posts