Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully this will help someone out down the road. This is just a little how to install an audio jack in your car if you have the factory Bose Stereo system with the XM tuner without having to buy an expensive kit. Works perfect for me because I dont have XM radio just the XM Tuner from the factory. Note once you do this you can only hear your ipod while tuned to XM not your XM stations so if you have an active XM account this mod isnt for you.

Total project time
-About 30 Minutes

Total project cost
-10 bucks

Youll need
- 6FT long 3mm audio cord (8 Dollars at radio shack)
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Butt Connectors 20-16 Gage
- 7mm Ratchet
- Wire cutters (Scissors)
- Electrical Tape

1. The first thing you will need to do is locate your XM tuner. For most all TV's it is locate on the passenger side directly below the glove compartment where your right foot would normally sit.

You will need to remove the plastic panel in order to reach the XM Tuner. Remove the screws and just pull down on the plastic and it should pop right off. (See picture below)

2. Once the plastic cover is off you will need to actually find the XM tuner it is the silver rectangular box in the right corner.

Before moving on take you 6' audio jack cord and cut off one of the ends. This will expose a silver ground wire, red and black speaker wire. Strip the ends of these wires now to save you time later.

Next you will need to follow the set of wires out of the back of the XM tuner to where the 7 pin connectors meet and disconnect them so you can safely work on the wires.

After you have disconnected the 7 pin connector peel back the factory electrical tape on the wires heading up towards your radio NOT THE SIDE GOING BACK TO THE XM TUNER. Try and peel the tape back a good 5 or 6 inches so you have enough room to work on the wires.

After the tape is peeled back and it is disconnected. You are going to need to locate the right speak, left speaker and ground wire.

(Right Speakers) White and Green Striped wire
(Left Speakers) Brown and White Striped wire
(Ground) Solid black wire

Once you have located the Right, Left and Ground wires cut them approximately 4 inches from the pin connector and strip about a quarter of a inch off the one end leading to the radio. Leave the GREEN WHITE AND BROWN WHITE WIRES GOING BACK into the pin connector alone (tape off the ends and be done with them you dont need it)

Note make sure the ground is still intact. So the ground should be coming out of the pin connector attached with the ground wire from the audio jack wire and the other side of the ground wire from you cut it (Just make sure all the grounds are connected)

3. Once the wires are cut take your audio jack that you already cut and start twisting (connecting the wires together). The red wire from the audio jack cord goes to brownwhite, the black wire from the audio jack cord goes to greenwhite and the ground just goes to the ground.

Here is a picture to help follow everything.

At this point in time you can test to make sure everything works. Just reconnect the pin connectors and make sure all of your wires are still twisted together. Plug your Ipod or phone into the audio jack and turn the radio to XM. It doesnt matter what station your on you should still hear the music from you ipod playing through your car speakers. If everything works and checks out of turn off your car and unplug the pin connector so you can finish your wiring job.

The last few parts are really simple. Just use your butt connectors and needle nose pliers to crimp the wires together and make sure all your connections are tight.

Once all the wires are crimped go ahead and test it out again just like before to make sure the connections are all good. (Reconect pin connectors and start car. Go to XM and plug in your ipod)

If everything works for use your electrical tape to tape all the wires back up just like the factory had it earlier.

As far as where to locate your audio jack wire thats your call. I ran mine down along the base of the passenger foot area and up under my console. It just works best for me youll have to play with it to see what you like.

Once all the wires are in place just place the plastic cover back on with your two screws and your done.

Here is what the final product looks like.

Let me know if you have any problems and Ill try to help best I can.

Special thanks to Gpro at http://cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184854

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
14 Posts
Very Easy!

First, thanks to goldelks for the original post and great step-by-step instructions!

Next, I'd just like to add a little about my experience...I used to be pretty adept with these things, but it's been a decade since I even messed around, so I was overly cautious...

1. I didn't realize that the entire plactic panel dropped out. It made no difference--the job was still really easy, but I found unbolting the XM receiver from the plastic panel gave me a little more room to work with. On the first pic, towards the right side, you can see two small bolts...those hold the XM receiver in place. I simply unbolted them when I was working.

2. There was a very short wire with plugs on both ends running between the XM receiver and the main wiring going to the stereo. I unplugged this short piece (maybe 8") and made my connections to Green/White and Brown/White there. But there were two Black/White wires in this short strip, and I wasn't sure if either would be a good ground wire, so I grounded to the main wiring going from the plug to the stereo. (And my ground wire was simply wrapped tightly in electrical tape, there was no traditional plastic casing.)

3. I simply ran the wire out of the plastic piece near the center counsel. There is a small screw there that can be seen in the picture (holding the gray carpeting)...i plan to use that for a harness of some type.

4. When disconnected, there was a buzzing noice, but I had no buzzing or hissing noises once the iPhone was connected...even at low or no volume.

My next project is to work out a wire carriage for the iPhone. . . it'll take some practicing with a light gauge wire, but I'll share my results once I have it. I'm hoping to bend something that will simply close into the glove box.

Thanks again, goldelks, for the original post. If I can offer any help to anyone, don't hesitate to post or message me.

jag

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
28 Posts
Awesome, just what I was looking for! Has anybody found out if one of the two black wires in this harnes are, in fact, a signal ground? I hate to experiment with it and risk breaking something. I ended up making a toggle switch and harness to be able to switch over to XM (if I end up subscribing down the road) so I am leary of just experimenting with a possible "black wire ground." I am going to pull the XM audio signal from the one black wire and see if the audio is clear. I'll post what i find out. Maybe it can be used and eliminate the buzzing noise jaqmqt's hears when the iPhone is disconnected.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
449 Posts
First, thanks to goldelks for the original post and great step-by-step instructions!

Next, I'd just like to add a little about my experience...I used to be pretty adept with these things, but it's been a decade since I even messed around, so I was overly cautious...

1. I didn't realize that the entire plactic panel dropped out. It made no difference--the job was still really easy, but I found unbolting the XM receiver from the plastic panel gave me a little more room to work with. On the first pic, towards the right side, you can see two small bolts...those hold the XM receiver in place. I simply unbolted them when I was working.

2. There was a very short wire with plugs on both ends running between the XM receiver and the main wiring going to the stereo. I unplugged this short piece (maybe 8") and made my connections to Green/White and Brown/White there. But there were two Black/White wires in this short strip, and I wasn't sure if either would be a good ground wire, so I grounded to the main wiring going from the plug to the stereo. (And my ground wire was simply wrapped tightly in electrical tape, there was no traditional plastic casing.)

3. I simply ran the wire out of the plastic piece near the center counsel. There is a small screw there that can be seen in the picture (holding the gray carpeting)...i plan to use that for a harness of some type.

4. When disconnected, there was a buzzing noice, but I had no buzzing or hissing noises once the iPhone was connected...even at low or no volume.

My next project is to work out a wire carriage for the iPhone. . . it'll take some practicing with a light gauge wire, but I'll share my results once I have it. I'm hoping to bend something that will simply close into the glove box.

Thanks again, goldelks, for the original post. If I can offer any help to anyone, don't hesitate to post or message me.

jag

When you unplug the ipod you hear a buzzing noise? Is that only when your on xm mode? So When you switch to regular Fm radio or regular CD does that buzzing sound go away?

·
Registered
14 Posts
@ bluenvoyerob: I haven't messed with the two black wires in the harness...my ground went to the single black wire (that looked like it was wrapped in electrical tape) outside the harness. I have to go back in to try to make a better ground (I have a squeal)...I might mess around then.

@ Ant1533: I get a low buzzing noise when the raido is in XM mode and the iPhone is not connected. You are correct, there is no buzzing when the stereo is in any other mode...AM/FM and CD work just as well as before.

I get a low buzz when in XM and disconnected.
I get a high pitch squeal (which I suspect/hope is from a bad ground) when playing music on the iPhone...music usually masks the squesal and I only really notice it when I listen to sports radio or between songs.

jag

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
28 Posts
@ bluenvoyerob: I haven't messed with the two black wires in the harness...my ground went to the single black wire (that looked like it was wrapped in electrical tape) outside the harness. I have to go back in to try to make a better ground (I have a squeal)...I might mess around then.
Ok cool. I've got to assume there has to be a common ground for signal (from the XM box to the Stereo). Since that electrical taped ground doesn't run into the XM box, that ground/shield might be picking up other stray static, alternator whine, etc. Hopefully this weekend I can get to that XM harness and determine which wires do what. Thanks.

EDIT: Info found... In researching pinouts for the XM out/Stereo in audio lines, I found the link...Chevy Avalanche XM Hookup. This pinout looks like it matches our XM wire harness. There are two black/white stripe wires in the harness however. The black/white wire in at pin 10 looks to be the correct common ground for signal in. Take a look at the pictures and article. I will test tomorrow to be sure. The other wires include Battery +, a Class II Serial Data wire, and a Ground (the other black/white wire - non-audio ground)

·
Registered
14 Posts
EDIT: Info found... In researching pinouts for the XM out/Stereo in audio lines, I found the link...Chevy Avalanche XM Hookup. This pinout looks like it matches our XM wire harness. There are two black/white stripe wires in the harness however. The black/white wire in at pin 10 looks to be the correct common ground for signal in. Take a look at the pictures and article. I will test tomorrow to be sure. The other wires include Battery +, a Class II Serial Data wire, and a Ground (the other black/white wire - non-audio ground)
Good find! I was so happy to get the ESPN radio app working that I'd resigned to tolerate the squeel...but if the 10 pin wire is the ground, that should take away all the periphial noise.

jag
(PS Saw you're from MI...I live in Grand Rapids)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
28 Posts
Woot!

Good find! I was so happy to get the ESPN radio app working that I'd resigned to tolerate the squeel...but if the 10 pin wire is the ground, that should take away all the periphial noise.

jag
(PS Saw you're from MI...I live in Grand Rapids)
Cool! I just finished up making my wire harness for this. I have it pictured below. I used the RadioShack part # 274-246 1/8" Jack and it made it really nice. I can still tune in to XM (no subscription anyway) but now can listen to anything plugged in to the jack when inserted. A little work has to go in to wiring it up right of course.

Confirmed, pin # 10 is an Audio Ground at the 16 pin connector at the XM end of the harness. That must be what you used to get rid of the squeel eh? Now I just have to find a place to mount this audio jack.

Cool, yea I'm just south of Detroit in Wyandotte. I'm trying to get to these little projects before it gets too cold, haha!

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
28 Posts
Could you elaborate on that a little more please? :yes:
Sure can. It may be hard to describe without a picture but here it goes... Think of the audio jack as a switch when it is wired correctly. The audio signal from the XM receiver will pass through the 1/8" audio jack itself and onto the stereo with nothing inserted in the jack. There are a set of electrical contacts in the audio jack that conduct automatically when a stereo plug is NOT inserted. When a stereo plug (coming from your iPod/MP3 player/etc.) is inserted, these electrical contacts are physically moved and break the connection between the XM and stereo. Instead, signal from your MP3 player is inputted to the stereo. No signal is backfed into the XM box itself.

I can make up a drawing if that helps too.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ltz
41 Posts
Sure can. It may be hard to describe without a picture but here it goes... Think of the audio jack as a switch when it is wired correctly. The audio signal from the XM receiver will pass through the 1/8" audio jack itself and onto the stereo with nothing inserted in the jack. There are a set of electrical contacts in the audio jack that conduct automatically when a stereo plug is NOT inserted. When a stereo plug (coming from your iPod/MP3 player/etc.) is inserted, these electrical contacts are physically moved and break the connection between the XM and stereo. Instead, signal from your MP3 player is inputted to the stereo. No signal is backfed into the XM box itself.

I can make up a drawing if that helps too.
Sweet! So, if anything is inserted in the plug, audio from the XM is cut off. I may have to do this mod... Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
260 Posts
Is there any way you know how to do this with a 2003 GMC Envoy? The FM transmitter doesn't always work for me. I was thinking like a line in or direct line where it would work. I also do not have XM radio either.. Just the 2003 GMC Envoy SLT.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
Hello guys, Another Michigander here.

I liked this Mod and I'm considering adding it. So I started comparing it to the schematics for my 2004 Envoy.

I found that the wiring out of my HU to my XM Radio is as follows:

pin 2 - Brn/Wht - L Audio
pin 3 - Dk Grn/Wht - R Audio
Pin 7 - Yellow - Serial Data
Pin 9 - Blk/Wht - Ground
Pin 10- Blk/Wht - Radio On Signal
Pin 16- Orange - Radio Fuse 41

Apparently some are having success using Pin 10 as a ground, but it should be Pin 9. I also recommend not cutting the Pin 9 (or 10) Blk/Wht wire and just connecting to it like BlueEnvoyRob did, even if you don't use the 5 wire plug that he used.

This Mod should work on any Trailvoy that has an XM capable Radio (2004 and above??) Sometimes referred to as having a BAND Button. Not sure if all of the wiring is there without the XM option. If you have OnStar, whether it is working or not the wiring should be there. (without the XM harness that unplugs) This should not affect OnStar operation at all.

My :m2:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts