Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a factory GM headrest DVD system. I looked on the forums here but didn't find too much in the way of install help, so I thought I'd make my own for everyone else to enjoy.

Thanks to Elevatorguy for the GM install instructions .pdf

In total, the project took me about 2 hours and 6 beers...including taking pictures. If I had to do it again, I would say I could finish in under an hour but still have 6 beers.

First, my kit arrived!!!! $400 ain't bad. Wrapped in plastic and everything.

Here's a pic of the headrests pre-dvd

The GM instructions say to move the seats forward, tilt them back a bit and disconnect the battery. I don't know how they would do it. I had to move the seat back and forth many times to fenaggle the wires/remove the console/etc.

Anyway, I tilted the seat forward a bit and used a screwdriver to separate the J-channel and separated the fabric plug that attached a flap of fabric to the side of the seat. This was pretty easy.

The GM kit came with a nice wire puller. It had an attachment that pinched around the end of the cabling and allowed both the puller and the wire to travel down the post holes.

After I fished the 4 cables the headrests slid right in.

Then the console comes out. First remove the screw underneath the rubber front cupholder.

Next, remove the shifter. The instructions I had (2006) showed the set screw on the side of the shifter. On my 2008 the set screw is in front. There is also a cable to undo if theres an overdrive button.

Then remove the canister from the console. There are 6 phillips screws, two of which are in the bottom.

Unplug the harness that controls the rear air/audio controls. This is located directly under the console canister but must be unclipped from its bracket in order to separate them.

Console out. I had to move the shifter to drive in order to slide it out.

Install the jumper on the harness that is directly connected to the base of the shifter....not the one near the carpet. The one near the carpet has 8 prongs. You need the 6 prong that us a little higer on the shifter(white).

Connect the brain unit

Mount the brain unit to the HVAC duct

Bingo baby. Miller time.

Hopefully this helps out. Peace.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
363 Posts
Nice writeup and good pictures Mudcat. This article should make its way into the "How To" section of the forum.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
55 Posts
I'm going to ask a really stupid question here....where do the DVD's go?

I'd like to have a setup like this so my kid can watch cartoons on those "long-ish" road trips...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Right into the top of each DVD player. Each kid can watch their own movie, or they can both watch what is playing either one. The audio is through wireless headphones (also A-B switchable) or playable through the car speakers via the built-in FM modulator...but don't tell the kids that unless you want to listen to Sponge Bob Squarepants for hours on end.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
6 Posts
I have the same installed in my Envoy, I didn't know that the audio can be received by the radio, can you give me the frequency and if there is any setting on the player to transmit.

·
Registered
363 Posts
88.3 on FM and select "Surround Around" on the remote control.

I have the same installed in my Envoy, I didn't know that the audio can be received by the radio, can you give me the frequency and if there is any setting on the player to transmit.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
93 Posts
Excellent! This is on my list of future mods... Too bad Elevatorguy's headrests are cashmere... :(

·
Registered
363 Posts
Saxis,
They can be dyed very easily. You can do it yourself, it is no harder than spraypainting, or you can have it done by an upholstery shop for about $50 for the pair. If you think about it, they cows weren't light titanium gray in the first place hahaha.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
2 Posts
Mudcat:
Where did you obtain this kit for $400? I have been looking and have only found similar kits for $500
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
363 Posts
For the TB/Envoy GM only sells them to match the leather interiors, but any upholstery shop can recover them to match your interior very easily.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
108 Posts
Just wondering will these headrest work with an aftermarket DVD head unit? Does the brain accept A/V input from the head unit, or is it just audio through FM transmitter?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
25 Posts
If you can't find the GM ones, there are plenty of similar setups on Ebay that run right around 300/pair. They'll be from China, but so are the Avent ones you'll pay 2-3x as much for. Some of em even have USB ports which would lead me to believe that they can play AVIs which means you could put a ton of your kids favorite TV shows and movies on a flash drive and be set for a REALLY long road trip ;)

Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts