Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If this isnt the correct section please feel free to move it.
Ive currently got a 05 LS 4.2 model & Im searching for another TB,but out of the 100's Ive looked at so far,95% of the ones with lower mileage are 4wd or Awd on the SS models.Since it only snows a few times a year in Nashville,where I live,I don't need 4wd.The numerous extra parts and the reduction in fuel mileage is the primary reason I don't want 4wd.The info Ive found only talks about Awd to Rwd & Awd to selectable 4wd conversions,but I can't seem to locate much on a straight 4wd to Rwd conversion.Is the process as simple as removing the cv shafts,front differential,front driveshaft,transfer case & the rear driveshaft then installing a longer Rwd driveshaft & thats it?? Are the spindles & wheel bearing hub assemblies identical between 4wd & Rwd models?? The hubs are grooved to accept the cv shaft splines,which the Rwd model doesn't use,but is there anything else different on the hubs that would require a swap?? What is the part called that runs through the oil pan on 4wd models & do Rwd models also use this same style oil pan or will a different pan have to be swapped in?? Once I remove the transfer case,is a Rwd driveshaft the only part I need for the conversion or is there something else thats needed,related to the transmission?? Last question,is a different computer or tcm needed for a Rwd vs 4wd or are those parts identical between models too?? I know Ive asked a million questions here,but hopefully they're all easy to answer. If you know of a thread, writeup,etc that already answers these questions,that would be great too.Thanks for the time youve taken to read & answer this.I'll be hoping for some responses.Thanks alot.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
75 Posts
Buy a 2wd.
^^^ This^^^
Everything has to change... Trans, propshaft, Computer, wiring, etc., etc. You will be much farther ahead to just leave it alone or find a nice 2WD to buy... The cost of doing this will never be accrued in "better" gas mileage.
Keep looking for the 2WD... :)
Mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ This^^^
Everything has to change... Trans, propshaft, Computer, wiring, etc., etc. You will be much farther ahead to just leave it alone or find a nice 2WD to buy... The cost of doing this will never be accrued in "better" gas mileage.
Keep looking for the 2WD... :)
Mark

Wow!!! I wasn't expecting that.The reasoning for the conversion had more to do with the cash I would have been saving from not having to replace the 4wd components,once they started going out.I was unsure of what the total weight savings would have been from the deleted components,so a mileage increase wouldve been questionable like you said.Let me ask you this.When the 4wd is turned off,do the front driveshaft,front differential & cv axles still rotate & does the transfer case disengage from the front driveshaft or does it work differently?? If it does work this way,
couldnt the front driveshaft, differential and cv axles be removed while leaving the transfer case & rear driveshaft in place?? What part runs through the oil pan and what does the part connect to & what is a prop
shaft?? Once again thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
75 Posts
What were you expecting? I am just trying to make you see the futility in doing this. It is a lot of work and expense with no real gain. If you don't use the 4WD stuff, it won't break and, if it does, it doesn't matter because you don't use it...
If you just absolutely can't live with the 4WD sell it and find a 2WD. Best thing you can do because the 4WD truck still has some resale value.

The transfer case has an electric motor on it that engages the 4WD. If you are running in 2WD mode the transfer case and all of the front drive stuff is not spinning.

A "Prop shaft" is a driveshaft.

Mark

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
593 Posts
Ive currently got a 05 LS 4.2 model & Im searching for another TB,but out of the 100's Ive looked at so far,95% of the ones with lower mileage are 4wd or Awd on the SS models.Since it only snows a few times a year in Nashville,where I live,I don't need 4wd.The numerous extra parts and the reduction in fuel mileage is the primary reason I don't want 4wd.The info Ive found only talks about Awd to Rwd & Awd to selectable 4wd conversions,but I can't seem to locate much on a straight 4wd to Rwd conversion.Is the process as simple as removing the cv shafts,front differential,front driveshaft,transfer case & the rear driveshaft then installing a longer Rwd driveshaft & thats it?? Are the spindles & wheel bearing hub assemblies identical between 4wd & Rwd models?? The hubs are grooved to accept the cv shaft splines,which the Rwd model doesn't use,but is there anything else different on the hubs that would require a swap?? What is the part called that runs through the oil pan on 4wd models & do Rwd models also use this same style oil pan or will a different pan have to be swapped in?? Once I remove the transfer case,is a Rwd driveshaft the only part I need for the conversion or is there something else thats needed,related to the transmission?? Last question,is a different computer or tcm needed for a Rwd vs 4wd or are those parts identical between models too?? I know Ive asked a million questions here,but hopefully they're all easy to answer. If you know of a thread, writeup,etc that already answers these questions,that would be great too.Thanks for the time youve taken to read & answer this.I'll be hoping for some responses.Thanks alot.
You nave to take the transmission completely apart to change the output shaft. If I recall one axle goes through the engine oil pan. The computer is different. IMO, this is something that is not worth doing.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
it can be done if you want. but as was said, its really overkill.

the potential savings, will never justify the cost.

money better spent on a lift kit or other offroad mods.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What were you expecting? I am just trying to make you see the futility in doing this. It is a lot of work and expense with no real gain. If you don't use the 4WD stuff, it won't break and, if it does, it doesn't matter because you don't use it...
If you just absolutely can't live with the 4WD sell it and find a 2WD. Best thing you can do because the 4WD truck still has some resale value.

The transfer case has an electric motor on it that engages the 4WD. If you are running in 2WD mode the transfer case and all of the front drive stuff is not spinning.

A "Prop shaft" is a driveshaft.

Mark
Ok I understand now.I was under the impression some of the 4wd components moved anytime the vehicle was in motion so if they don't,Im good to go.I was worried that if the front differential or transfer case was to lock up internally or get damaged,it would render the vehicle inoperable until that component was replaced so if those parts wont affect the remainder of the vehicle except in 4wd only,I'll feel much safer if I have to purchase a 4wd model.One final question: since the cv axles are splined /connected to the wheel bearing hubs,do they free spin/float inside of the differential when 4wd is off because they do rotate with the wheel bearing correct?? Thanks for your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts