Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

661 - 675 of 675 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
125 Posts
123k Miles

Well after 123K miles and banging out the old air filter every so often I decided it was time to give this a try. Now my truck ran okay (I thought) but it would sporadically stall with the A/C on and idle was rough with a little stumble off the line.

So today I pick a a brand spanking new air filter and a can of TB cleaner and went to town. I have to say I was surprised by the build up in the TB and even had to rub the thicker build up with a small piece of scotch pad to break it up. What a mess!

Anyway got it all back together and man does my engine run so nice, at first I kept over compensating for the stumble that used to be there haha, not a bad problem to have.

Great write up and great fix! The Blue Bomber is back on the roads and running smmmooottthhh!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
I bought a 2005 Trailblazer with 155000 miles. Ran very well but had a slightly rough idle. Since I have to get it smogged in CA for an ownership transfer, I changed the spark plugs hoping that would solve the issue. Had same problem, so went ahead and totally removed the throttle body (two plugs and 4 bolts) to clean it. It was seriously gunked up, worst Ive ever seen actually in all m cars. I cleaned it with TB cleaner and a toothbrush. I did have to manipulate and move the plate quite a bit to get it cleaned. Problem I have now is the car wont start after reconnecting everything. All the hoses/clamps are connected just as they were. It will start rough for 3-5 seconds if I hold the accelerator all the way down, but dies before it smooths out. I also get a small backfire. Something had to happen to the air/fuel mixture by cleaning the TB. Is it possible that I moved the plate too much while cleaning? I hate to spend $300 throwing a new one at it if I'm not sure. I did leave the battery disconnected for 45+ min, checked my fuses, and not getting any engine codes... I read somewhere that the IAC is inside the TB on the 05 Trailblazer. Is it possible that it is still fowled and not operating correct? Going nuts here... Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
125 Posts
Hmm I don't know, this was a pretty simple process. Any chance you bent a pin on one of the connectors? Maybe try disconnecting the battery again and see if it resets?

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
6 Posts
Thanks!

Great post, made the job very easy.

And wow does it get dirty.

The only thing I had a hard time with, is removing the tube the goes to the throttle body and the clip.

Once I found out, so simple.

Thanks again for a great write up!

(now I hope my P1400 goes away :)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Thanks for this. Thought I was up a creek after replacing my battery this morning. It now idles better than it ever has.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
61 Posts
I just did this as well. But my 04 only has 105K on it but it was nasty dirty. I bet it was never done before.

Thanks for the writeup.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
I'm sorry I know this is an old thread and I did not see the answer in the first few posts, but how often should this be done?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
I don't know about the others but mine had 130,000 miles.
My first post, and this is the first thing I did with my '04 TB with at least 200k after I joined these forums. This was the easiest most bang for the buck fix I think I'll encounter with this baby.

I had to work mine over with a couple old toothbrushes and a bottle of carb and break cleaner until it was spotless.

·
Read Only
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
0 Posts
I forgot to add that the throttle body turned out NOT to be the problem. It was the throttle position sensor!

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
Throttle Body

Used this thread on my O4 Envoy. Amazing car. I am sure it's on the road somewhere. It was old but perfect all original shape with 104K miles. I think totaled because of age. Boo Hoo.

Anyway, I loved so much that I got a used 2008. Lower trim level not loved much that I am trying to make work nicely.

Cleaning the throttle body is on my list, so definitely will use this again.
Great diagrams and easy to follow.

Thank you.

661 - 675 of 675 Posts