Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
661 - 676 of 676 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
125 Posts
123k Miles

Well after 123K miles and banging out the old air filter every so often I decided it was time to give this a try. Now my truck ran okay (I thought) but it would sporadically stall with the A/C on and idle was rough with a little stumble off the line.

So today I pick a a brand spanking new air filter and a can of TB cleaner and went to town. I have to say I was surprised by the build up in the TB and even had to rub the thicker build up with a small piece of scotch pad to break it up. What a mess!

Anyway got it all back together and man does my engine run so nice, at first I kept over compensating for the stumble that used to be there haha, not a bad problem to have.

Great write up and great fix! The Blue Bomber is back on the roads and running smmmooottthhh!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
I bought a 2005 Trailblazer with 155000 miles. Ran very well but had a slightly rough idle. Since I have to get it smogged in CA for an ownership transfer, I changed the spark plugs hoping that would solve the issue. Had same problem, so went ahead and totally removed the throttle body (two plugs and 4 bolts) to clean it. It was seriously gunked up, worst Ive ever seen actually in all m cars. I cleaned it with TB cleaner and a toothbrush. I did have to manipulate and move the plate quite a bit to get it cleaned. Problem I have now is the car wont start after reconnecting everything. All the hoses/clamps are connected just as they were. It will start rough for 3-5 seconds if I hold the accelerator all the way down, but dies before it smooths out. I also get a small backfire. Something had to happen to the air/fuel mixture by cleaning the TB. Is it possible that I moved the plate too much while cleaning? I hate to spend $300 throwing a new one at it if I'm not sure. I did leave the battery disconnected for 45+ min, checked my fuses, and not getting any engine codes... I read somewhere that the IAC is inside the TB on the 05 Trailblazer. Is it possible that it is still fowled and not operating correct? Going nuts here... Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
125 Posts
Hmm I don't know, this was a pretty simple process. Any chance you bent a pin on one of the connectors? Maybe try disconnecting the battery again and see if it resets?

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
6 Posts
Thanks!

Great post, made the job very easy.

And wow does it get dirty.

The only thing I had a hard time with, is removing the tube the goes to the throttle body and the clip.

Once I found out, so simple.

Thanks again for a great write up!

(now I hope my P1400 goes away :)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Thanks for this. Thought I was up a creek after replacing my battery this morning. It now idles better than it ever has.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
61 Posts
I just did this as well. But my 04 only has 105K on it but it was nasty dirty. I bet it was never done before.

Thanks for the writeup.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
I'm sorry I know this is an old thread and I did not see the answer in the first few posts, but how often should this be done?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
I don't know about the others but mine had 130,000 miles.
My first post, and this is the first thing I did with my '04 TB with at least 200k after I joined these forums. This was the easiest most bang for the buck fix I think I'll encounter with this baby.

I had to work mine over with a couple old toothbrushes and a bottle of carb and break cleaner until it was spotless.

·
Read Only
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
0 Posts
I forgot to add that the throttle body turned out NOT to be the problem. It was the throttle position sensor!

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
Throttle Body

Used this thread on my O4 Envoy. Amazing car. I am sure it's on the road somewhere. It was old but perfect all original shape with 104K miles. I think totaled because of age. Boo Hoo.

Anyway, I loved so much that I got a used 2008. Lower trim level not loved much that I am trying to make work nicely.

Cleaning the throttle body is on my list, so definitely will use this again.
Great diagrams and easy to follow.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
Hi folks, thought I'd write this up as I just did it and I see a few people asking about it.

I got most of the pictures form a K&N instruction manual cuz thats what I was doing at the time, I point some things out in them and lay out some better instructions though.

What you will need:
-Large and long phillips or flathead screwdriver
-8mm ratchet (battery)
-10mm ratchet (bolts)
-Throttle body cleaner (I use Berrymans B-12 chemtool)

Now to business:

Step 1: Turn ignition off and disconnect battery.

Step 2: Disconnect the feed line from the fuel pressure regulator. This is located on the front corner of the resonator near the battery. Just pull it off.

Step 3: Remove the screws form the airbox. The one in the front corner is kinda tricky but a long screwdriver and a flashlight will make it easy.

Step 4: Remove the airbox by lifting straight up.

Step 5: Disconnect the air injection hose from the bottom of the intake tube. Squeeze the sides of the clasp and pull down.

Step 6: Disconnect the little brown clip attached to the intake air temp sensor harness. Its tricky, just keep tugging at it. Notice how it opens up in a "C" shape.

Note: At this point you can either set the intake tube aside or unplug the temp sensor and remove the tube completely.

Step 7: Remove the two bolts securing the resonator (blue) and loosen the hose clamp on the throttle body (red).

Step 8: Lift out the resonator. NOTE!!! Make sure you disconnect the crankcase vent hose at the same time.

Ooh, color!
Step 9: Unplug the two wire sets from the throttle body.

Step 10: Unbolt the four bolts mounting the throttle body.

Okay, now you have your throttle body freed up. Gently wiggle it out and grab your can of cleaner. Mine wasn't really dirty but did have a good layer of black grap coagulated on the inside. Just remember that it is supposed to be SHINY, so shiny I kept getting lens flare.... Just blast away at the crud and it should basically melt off. If you have to, you can gently move the butterfly valve with your finger, but beware it is sharp. Use the whole can of cleaner if you want, it cost you what 2 bucks? Once it's nice and shiny, go ahead and put it all back together.

Your done! :)

WARNING: I found out the interesting way that throttle body cleaner is really angry stuff (note the color of my hand above). When I did this, I just figured I'd spray the crap out of it in the parking lot where I was working. One can and one puddle later I had it all done and was working on something else. I went and got some tools out of the back and came around to the front and it felt like I stepped in a pile of crap. Instead, my foot sunk about an INCH into the ASPHALT. The cleaner totally turned the pavement into oatmeal. Word of advice, don't do this in a driveway or kitchen or get it on anything in general. Oh, here's a pic. It also took the tread off my shoes :x.

Hope you enjoyed it and maybe even found it useful!
just a note: I found a reference to use carb /throttle body cleaner...not just carb cleaner...Chemistry that will not harm the butterfly finish...

661 - 676 of 676 Posts