Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
641 - 660 of 676 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
As written earlier, cleaning my throttle body fixed idle tremendously and cleared the service engine light. Unfortunately I nicked the little aluminum cooling fins on the top of the coil pack on cylinder three when taking out the lower right bolt out of the throttle body. I caught it with the edge of the swivel on my ratchet extension and they pried up. The coil wound up dying. I'm missing on number three, with a horrible idle. If I take the plastic cover off the top of the motor and push on the top of the coil, it smoothes right out. Well, New coil pack time for that cylinder I suppose. :duh:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
How long does it take for the computer to "relearn" the clean throttle position? I cleaned the TB and changed plugs at the same time and the idle is a bit more rough than beginning. I undid the battery for over 1 hour during the process of it all. I drove it around the block maybe a total of 5-7 minutes. It seems to perform fine just a rough idle and a flashing check engine light. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
2002 gmc trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
lol I found this out the hard way just earlier when i cleaned my TB! It hurts like hell. Wish i'd have read this before doing it lol.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
This is my first time using this forum and I'm pretty sure someone else has had this problem and it's been answered already but I'm gonna go ahead and ask it again.
I have a 2005 Envoy and it idles rough when in Drive.**No other problems other than the rough idle.**I took it to a mechanic and he noticed what I was talking about but couldnt find anything wrong with it. No engine light or codes. When it first started (last winter) it would go away when the the engine was warmed, but now it does it pretty much all the time. It has gotten rougher during this time as well. It only does it when Im at a complete stop in drive. I would say when the engine is warm, its not as bad. When I take off, I dont seem to feel it anymore. I have also done a store bought fuel cleaner and it helped for a day or 2 then it started idling rough again. I have the 6 cyl engine in it.*What do you think it is?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
29 Posts
02 TB 2wd

Have you checked your motor mounts? I have a rough ideal now and it is the motor mounts. I took a small camera and took pictures to see. You could tell the one on the passenger side was flat.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Cleaning my throttle body hasn't seemed to change my rough idle. My idle is especially bad at a cold start.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm gearing up to clean my tb, and I've actually read this entire 17-page thread. It seems like the hardest part of the whole process is dealing with the 2 connectors. (Going from memory...) the rearward connector, you have to slide/remove the gray clip, then squeeze and pull. The forward connector involves pushing on a tab, rotating/sliding, looking for something else that's hidden on the opposite side, doing a gregorian monk chant, etc. Hopefully, they won't cause me too much distress. My question, though, is there any trick to reconnecting them, especially the front one?

·
Registered
29 Posts
02 TB 2wd

No tricks it is really straight forward. Just take your time with the connections and you should be okay.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance. It just seems that automotive connectors have always been my nemesis. Do you push something in? Do you pry something out? Do you twist? Is part of it just a wire retainer? Is there more than one tab to pry simultaneously? etc, etc, etc

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK, tb is cleaned! First, I want to thank everyone who contributes to the forums and especially this thread.

It took 1hr 40min, but prolly 30 minutes of that was wrestling with "that" connector, dropping the last (lower-left) mounting bolt down onto the manifold and having to completely remove the tb again to gain access to it, and getting everything buttoned up only to realize that the bottom rubber tube wasn't connected to the cover and having to remove the cover again to get the tube lined up.

The tb was dirty. I don't know if it was 156k miles dirty, but it definitely needed cleaning. THANKFULLY, it started up and no REP or misfire codes (I did remove the #5 coilpack to get better access to the lower-left bolt.) It went through it's re-learn. I can't say that I notice any difference in how it runs.

I was going to replace the plugs while I was in that deep but my lower back insisted it was time to call it quits. So that's a project for another day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I cleaned my TB today. It was black and all gunked up. Cured my rough idle and stalling problem. Even installed a new air filter. I have 04 Trailblazer with 97000 miles.

The only hiccup I had was I used my mini Craftsman screwdriver to hold the plate open as I sprayed the cleaner and it now has a custom plastic curved handle.

Thanks to KHill your thread is still helping folks six years later.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
Throttle Body Problems???

Hi, my name is Kim. I have a 2005, v8, chev trailblazer LT. Im having problems with it. I was driving with cruise control on at 80 kms an hour when the truck stopped driving. The engine was still running but when I pushed on the gas pedel there was nothing. It was like it was in neutral. I shut the truck off and restarted a min later. I was then able to drive about 20 feet and then same thing happened again. I was towed home with the truck running. Now it wont go into reverse. Does anyone have any idea whats going on. Please help. KIM

·
Registered
29 Posts
02 TB 2wd

Kim, did you have a service engine light come on and/or any other lights? Hoe many miles on your TB?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
11 Posts
Throttle Body Cleaning

Hi KHILL:
I just finished replacing the spark plugs and cleaning the throttle body on my 07 Trailblazer that now has 100,000 miles on the odometer. It has really been a good vehicle. I would like to thank you for the information in your post "How to clean your throttle body". The post was very thorough and easy to follow. I can't find the post entered by another member that gave instructions for replacing spark plugs. He referred me to your post for cleaning the throttle body. I would also like to thank him. The information from both of you was very helpful.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Can bad throttle body downshift my trans?

Hello. These threads have been invaluable to me over the years and this is my first post. Hope it's in the right place. I followed the great advice on removing and cleaning mine around 100,000 miles. Own a 2006 TB I-6 4.2 4X4. Have experienced intermittent problem after having a rebuilt trans installed 15,000 miles ago whereby trans downshifts from 4th to 3d when car at speed of 80-85 for some time (1-3 hours). Happened once at 75 - 80. Mechanic tells me there is a throttle body code on the computer, but the happening is so rare (mostly because how often can you drive at 80 mph for an hour unless long highway trip), that it doesn't sound right to me. In 500 mile trips, downshift happens 1-2X if at high speed for solid time. Under 75, it never happens. When downshift happens, it's silent, tach goes up 800 rpms and I have to exit, park and restart car. Something resets ( some computer?) and then all is fine. Anybody ever hear of this? I have 151,000 on engine, have had head, timing chain, water pump, radiator, exhaust manifold, hoses, oil pump, new plugs, belt, tccm and actuator motor (4X4) redone recently, plus trans a year ago. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
hose on throttlebody

hello im new and was wondering,about the purge line coming out of the side of throttlebody, the hardplastic line broke in two and was wondering if i can use rubberhose,till i get newone its a 2007 trailblazer,6 cyl thanks for help and suggestions

641 - 660 of 676 Posts