Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
601 - 620 of 675 Posts

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
450 Posts
BS I say. You have to remove it to clean the backside as it is the dirtiest, grungiest side of the throttle body. Don't forget to disconnect the battery while you're doing it. Gives the PCM a chance to relearn. You could spray like the salesman says and then take it off to see for yourself. Bottom line, it has to come off. I did mine a couple of weeks ago. It needed it! There are videos of how to do this.

Doug

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
Tb all clean and took out the low idle code. see if it stays off.
trickiest part was the brittleness of the harness. frozen up here.
thanks again for this great website. great sticky

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
5 Posts
Going to do this tonight. One question though. What is normal parked idle? I thought I saw somewhere on this thread somewhere are 1000-1300 rpm. Mine is around 600-700.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
10 Posts
take it off and clean it properly like GGDM told me to do. the back side was way dirtier than the front. Idle now sits at 650ish and runs like a top. No codes returned since Saturday. :nono:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
3 Posts
Remove It And Clean It Correct !

I must say this forum has been a GREAT HELP with my newly acquired Envoy. I was a little drawn back on buying a vehicle with 190,000 miles but after reading posts on here and test driving, I LOVE MY ENVOY..

I cleaned the throttle body and VVT solenoid today, I just wanted to share pictures of why you need to remove and clean the throttle body. The solenoid wasn't bad but does have a oil leak into the electrical connection so replacement will be soon, along with a exhaust manifold and I believe a fan clutch.

Thanks for all the GREAT posts. :) :) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
18 Posts
Our 05 Trailblazer EXT has 90000 miles on it. Today was spark plug day. And while I had the top stripped down I pulled the throttle body off and cleaned it. I was truly amazed on how dirty it was. Not only did it have the original spark plugs in it but the throttle body had never been cleaned till today....

Thanks for the write up....

MrPlumber

·
Registered
6 Posts
My husband and dad both looked at it, read the instructions and decided to leave it to the mechanic to do it. :) Thanks, though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
fuses need to be removed for 15 mins on older model tbs

Remove fuses 10 and 28 for 15 mins during cleaning so the pcm will reciniae the clean throttle body. Fuse names are Pcm8 and Pcm1 dealer told me I needed a new Tb and pedal sensor cleaned Tb and reset pcm CEL light went out and truck runs amazing against

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
22 Posts
And again,To the OP, thank you for the post with pics. I usually do the work on the family vehicles and belonging to forums such as this saves me a lot of time. Most of the time I know where I am going, but posts with pics show me how to get there.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
3 Posts
Nice

Hi folks, thought I'd write this up as I just did it and I see a few people asking about it.

I got most of the pictures form a K&N instruction manual cuz thats what I was doing at the time, I point some things out in them and lay out some better instructions though.

What you will need:
-Large and long phillips or flathead screwdriver
-8mm ratchet (battery)
-10mm ratchet (bolts)
-Throttle body cleaner (I use Berrymans B-12 chemtool)

Now to business:

Step 1: Turn ignition off and disconnect battery.

Step 2: Disconnect the feed line from the fuel pressure regulator. This is located on the front corner of the resonator near the battery. Just pull it off.

Step 3: Remove the screws form the airbox. The one in the front corner is kinda tricky but a long screwdriver and a flashlight will make it easy.

Step 4: Remove the airbox by lifting straight up.

Step 5: Disconnect the air injection hose from the bottom of the intake tube. Squeeze the sides of the clasp and pull down.

Step 6: Disconnect the little brown clip attached to the intake air temp sensor harness. Its tricky, just keep tugging at it. Notice how it opens up in a "C" shape.

Note: At this point you can either set the intake tube aside or unplug the temp sensor and remove the tube completely.

Step 7: Remove the two bolts securing the resonator (blue) and loosen the hose clamp on the throttle body (red).

Step 8: Lift out the resonator. NOTE!!! Make sure you disconnect the crankcase vent hose at the same time.

Ooh, color!
Step 9: Unplug the two wire sets from the throttle body.

Step 10: Unbolt the four bolts mounting the throttle body.

Okay, now you have your throttle body freed up. Gently wiggle it out and grab your can of cleaner. Mine wasn't really dirty but did have a good layer of black grap coagulated on the inside. Just remember that it is supposed to be SHINY, so shiny I kept getting lens flare.... Just blast away at the crud and it should basically melt off. If you have to, you can gently move the butterfly valve with your finger, but beware it is sharp. Use the whole can of cleaner if you want, it cost you what 2 bucks? Once it's nice and shiny, go ahead and put it all back together.

Your done! :)

WARNING: I found out the interesting way that throttle body cleaner is really angry stuff (note the color of my hand above). When I did this, I just figured I'd spray the crap out of it in the parking lot where I was working. One can and one puddle later I had it all done and was working on something else. I went and got some tools out of the back and came around to the front and it felt like I stepped in a pile of crap. Instead, my foot sunk about an INCH into the ASPHALT. The cleaner totally turned the pavement into oatmeal. Word of advice, don't do this in a driveway or kitchen or get it on anything in general. Oh, here's a pic. It also took the tread off my shoes :x.

Hope you enjoyed it and maybe even found it useful!
This is awesome! Best step by step I have seen since someone posted a step by step on changing the transmission filter and how to get all the trans fluid out. Thanks so much! I have a 04 Envoy XL SLT 4x4 and just hit 200K!!:undecided:crazy:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
3 Posts
04 Envoy XL SLT 4x4

I must say this forum has been a GREAT HELP with my newly acquired Envoy. I was a little drawn back on buying a vehicle with 190,000 miles but after reading posts on here and test driving, I LOVE MY ENVOY..

I cleaned the throttle body and VVT solenoid today, I just wanted to share pictures of why you need to remove and clean the throttle body. The solenoid wasn't bad but does have a oil leak into the electrical connection so replacement will be soon, along with a exhaust manifold and I believe a fan clutch.

Thanks for all the GREAT posts. :) :) :)
I bought mine from the original owner last April with 187K miles, mostly highway miles and now just hit 200K! Amazing! Best GMC I have owned. A tranny filter fluid change, TB cleaning and she'll be like new! Thanks!:undecided:yes:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
23 Posts
Hi folks, thought I'd write this up as I just did it and I see a few people asking about it.

I got most of the pictures form a K&N instruction manual cuz thats what I was doing at the time, I point some things out in them and lay out some better instructions though.

What you will need:
-Large and long phillips or flathead screwdriver
-8mm ratchet (battery)
-10mm ratchet (bolts)
-Throttle body cleaner (I use Berrymans B-12 chemtool)

Now to business:

Step 1: Turn ignition off and disconnect battery.

Step 2: Disconnect the feed line from the fuel pressure regulator. This is located on the front corner of the resonator near the battery. Just pull it off.

Step 3: Remove the screws form the airbox. The one in the front corner is kinda tricky but a long screwdriver and a flashlight will make it easy.

Step 4: Remove the airbox by lifting straight up.

Step 5: Disconnect the air injection hose from the bottom of the intake tube. Squeeze the sides of the clasp and pull down.

Step 6: Disconnect the little brown clip attached to the intake air temp sensor harness. Its tricky, just keep tugging at it. Notice how it opens up in a "C" shape.

Note: At this point you can either set the intake tube aside or unplug the temp sensor and remove the tube completely.

Step 7: Remove the two bolts securing the resonator (blue) and loosen the hose clamp on the throttle body (red).

Step 8: Lift out the resonator. NOTE!!! Make sure you disconnect the crankcase vent hose at the same time.

Ooh, color!
Step 9: Unplug the two wire sets from the throttle body.

Step 10: Unbolt the four bolts mounting the throttle body.

Okay, now you have your throttle body freed up. Gently wiggle it out and grab your can of cleaner. Mine wasn't really dirty but did have a good layer of black grap coagulated on the inside. Just remember that it is supposed to be SHINY, so shiny I kept getting lens flare.... Just blast away at the crud and it should basically melt off. If you have to, you can gently move the butterfly valve with your finger, but beware it is sharp. Use the whole can of cleaner if you want, it cost you what 2 bucks? Once it's nice and shiny, go ahead and put it all back together.

Your done! :)

WARNING: I found out the interesting way that throttle body cleaner is really angry stuff (note the color of my hand above). When I did this, I just figured I'd spray the crap out of it in the parking lot where I was working. One can and one puddle later I had it all done and was working on something else. I went and got some tools out of the back and came around to the front and it felt like I stepped in a pile of crap. Instead, my foot sunk about an INCH into the ASPHALT. The cleaner totally turned the pavement into oatmeal. Word of advice, don't do this in a driveway or kitchen or get it on anything in general. Oh, here's a pic. It also took the tread off my shoes :x.

Hope you enjoyed it and maybe even found it useful!
Thanks OP for this write up. I followed it to the T this weekend and now the truck runs smoother and no hesitation. Just what I was looking for. :woot:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
did it!

Just finished mine. Front side didn't look too bad but the flip side was a dark, gummy mess. Installed my CAI while I was in there, too. TB is clean as a new whistle now. Thank the Lawd for B12 Chemtool! :hail:
the photos made the job a breeze! :thx

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
you are SO great

And *I*, kind sir, just thought that I would reply to this write up of yours and tell you how ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS you are as a human being in general.

Not only was this EXACTLY what I was looking for, you have absolutely perfect pictures of everything I desired a picture of and even color coded arrows .. I mean .. c'mon man.. you deserve to win the Nobel prize or something.

Oh right.. and THANK YOU!!!!!! =)))))

601 - 620 of 675 Posts