Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 GMC Envoy SLT RWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Envoy (rwd) SLT and I do know for a fact that the rear diff CAN lock. But, just out of curiosity, I was wondering how to tell if what type of differential the SLT trim has. Something that is pretty odd is that when I look up the VIN on a VIN checker website it tells me it's an SLE, though the car has the side decal reading SLT. I'm assuming the differential is trim specific or I could find out by looking at the VIN. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,712 Posts
As far as I know the TrailBlazers and Envoys all came with the Eaton "gov-lock" locking rear axle. I may have read that the SS might have had something different.

Assuming a previous owner hasn't changed the rear axle you can check the RPO sticker in the glovebox for rear axle ratio code as well as the "G80" which signifies a locking rear axle. You could also service the rear axle (fluid change) and have a look inside while doing that.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
281 Posts
Did the Envoy/Trailblazer body style ever get a differential other than the corporate 8.5/8.6 unit?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts