Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
27 Posts
Great tutorial! Just went through this replacement with the stock GM belt & thought I'd add a couple of things I ran into. I have the 5.3 with the stock cooling fan which I found to be pretty much impossible to work around without nicking up my hands/arms on the blades. Man those blade edges are sharp!

I ended up removing the airbox & unbolting the washer tank to get better access to the a/c compressor from the top. You don't need to remove the tank all the way, just disconnect the wiring, the 2 hoses leading to the windshield washers, and unbolt it. There's plenty of room to just pick it up and move it outta the way. This gives good access to the a/c pulley from the side. Once you get the belt started, you can spin that pulley by hand just enough to get the belt seated properly. Popped right into place! I bet I spent an hour trying to get it installed before resorting to this method. Once I removed the airbox/tank it took maybe 5 minutes to get the belt on & another 15 to put everything back together.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
Added notes on belt drive fans

:coffee

I just took the Air feed from the air box to the Throttle Body off. While I was there I did a touch up on the TB. Just did it in Dec, I was surprised at the residue. This will give you good access down through the middle.

Then when you are taking the AC belt off first slide the big pully side in behind and then unhook the AC side.

When putting it back on go behind the big pully and then over the AC and then slide the big one into place. GOES LIKE BUTTER !!!!!!!!!!! Many thanks to the great TUT !! Saved me a ton of time... I hope this helps...

Enjoy.... :tiphat :thumbsup: Rick

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
35 Posts
I was changing my power steering pump and figured I'd put a new belt on too but I couldn't figure and easy way to get it around the fan! The old belt looked good so I just left it! So on a 2003 with a mechanical fan with blades incircled with a ring, and the tight fitting shroud how do you get the belt out? I even undid the 4 bolts that looked like the were holding the fan on but it all seemed pressed together still.
Good thread IF you have electric fans! I do like the reliability of the mechanical fan but it does take up much more room!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
Not sure if it got missed or was intuitive.... four bolts on the back of the fan release it so you can put the belt over ....:coffee :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
35 Posts
That's what I thought but I pulled those bolts and the fan seemed as attached as ever. It must need a little motivation. My belt looked good and I was tired of fighting the power steering pump. I actually first wanted to pull the fan so the pump would have more room to come out but I fianlly squeazed it through. Now the rebuilt pump is already groaning so I may be back in there sooner then I wanted! I did the startup/bleed procedure so I think I may have just got a bad rebuilt pump. Luckilly it has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
290 Posts
Just an FYI, I found that for the A/C belt, first you have to wrap it around the A/C pulley, then behind the crank pulley, then around/near the tensioner, then onto the crank pulley. No other way seemed to work.

What a PITA.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
284 Posts
I ended up removing the airbox & unbolting the washer tank to get better access to the a/c compressor from the top. Once I removed the airbox/tank it took maybe 5 minutes to get the belt on & another 15 to put everything back together.
Then when you are taking the AC belt off first slide the big pully side in behind and then unhook the AC side.

When putting it back on go behind the big pully and then over the AC and then slide the big one into place. GOES LIKE BUTTER !!!!!!!!!!!
Just wanted to throw in a few cents of thanks for these tips. I just could not get the AC belt off until I read the above comments. Applying this advice made it go so much easier.

And I am glad I did not give up. After 86k miles, the AC belt was pretty much shot. Cracks galore. Main belt looked ok - cleaning it up and keeping it as a spare.

Thanks to all. Saved me time and $$.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
290 Posts
Just wanted to throw in a few cents of thanks for these tips. I just could not get the AC belt off until I read the above comments. Applying this advice made it go so much easier.
I just cheated and cut it off. :bonk:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
thanks!

Thanks for the thread, it was helpful.

I don't know if it was just me but man that A/C belt was a #&#*! to get on though.

I needed a free hand getting the a/c belt on so I used a bungee cord attached to the ratchet handle, pulled it down and locked it to a spot on the chasis. (gave me a free hand) be careful if you do this, as this wouldn't work very well with some ratchets.. and you do run the risk of it bouncing back if set wrong. I was really careful and it worked great.

Once I finally go the A/C belt on, the second belt was cake.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1 Posts
2003 TB with 5.3 Mechanical Fans

I just changed both fans on my TB. My AC belt was cracked so I decided to change both. This thread helped me out a lot when it came to identifying the tensioners and tips on how to replace them. Taking off the main belt was not hard at all. It just slipped right off by pulling on the tensioner. Getting the AC belt on was a pain at first. Luckily my brother was with me. After a few minutes we figured it out. While I pulled on the AC belt tensioner, he slipped the belt over the AC pulley via the left front wheel well. He simply reached through and pulled it over. Just make sure you put the belt over the crank pulley first. Onto the main belt. Not much room to work with mechanical fans. I did take the air box off the throttle body for a little extra room. I did not have to remove the fan or the fan shroud it just looks like you do but you don't. Simply pull the belt between the pulls left to right and place over accordingly. I replaced the air box, turned on my truck, no problems.

While belts are typically easy to replace, if you have an extra set of hands around, it makes it that much easier, especially that darn AC belt.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Awesome, thanks! I've had Gatorbacks last almost as long as stock stuff, and I've had them last a year...

Mike
I haven't even put 20k miles on it since changing the belts so they will probably dry out before they wear out.

I've used them in the past on Supercharged cars I've owned and picked up boost over the stock belts.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
53 Posts
A/C Belt a pain

Man, glad I found this thread, thought I was going crazy putting the A/C belt on, as it looked too easy. I did find that I don't think you have to disassemble the air box and washer resovior. If you put the belt on the compressor wheel first then the crank wheel, it is no problem what so ever. Serpentine was a piece of cake.:woot:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts