Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
61 - 80 of 274 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The pics in post #51 are all generic, and not from a trailvoy. I have a dead bearing I could bash apart if you're interested.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
76 Posts
TB Front Bearings vs Front Hub Replacement

This thread is very good, however I notice everyone is going out and doing the entire hub replacement.

there are bearings at rockauto sold for the application, where nearly everyone else is replacing the entire hub.

one fella here said we can't get to the bearings in the hub.

i just bought from http://mibearings.com/wheel-bearing/513188.html.
if this is the real deal timken at $130 plus $22 shipping, i am happy; but am curious if the bearing options would have been cheaper for $40 each. i didn't see race replacements with the bearing package.

Rockauto acdelco oem hubs are $240. I think timken is good stuff, so I've been ambivilent about whether to go hub or bearings without an authority about disecting a hub.

when i get my new hubs, i'll see if i can rebuild one and will answer my own question, unless someone's already done it.

$40 bearings is cheaper than $152 hubs; but i don't have the entire story yet.:m2:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
This thread is very good, however I notice everyone is going out and doing the entire hub replacement.

there are bearings at rockauto sold for the application, where nearly everyone else is replacing the entire hub.

one fella here said we can't get to the bearings in the hub.

i just bought from http://mibearings.com/wheel-bearing/513188.html.
if this is the real deal timken at $130 plus $22 shipping, i am happy; but am curious if the bearing options would have been cheaper for $40 each. i didn't see race replacements with the bearing package.

Rockauto acdelco oem hubs are $240. I think timken is good stuff, so I've been ambivilent about whether to go hub or bearings without an authority about disecting a hub.

when i get my new hubs, i'll see if i can rebuild one and will answer my own question, unless someone's already done it.

$40 bearings is cheaper than $152 hubs; but i don't have the entire story yet.:m2:
The bearings that you purchased from MI bearing are NOT Timkens, but they are high quality Made in US bearings. I just installed a set in my truck yesterday, and it runs beautiful.

I stay away from Chinese sweatshop crap bearings for safety reasons.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
there are bearings at rockauto sold for the application,
Never saw these listed, and I'm as sure as I can be (replaced wheel bearings 8 times so far on my vehicle and others).

BUT, I'd be silly to dismiss your finding without checking it out. Do you have a mfr and part number I can look at Rockauto and see if it's an error? I see listings for $30-40 rear axle bearings, inners and outers, and one listing for a $7 front bearing that's either for the differential or a mistake.

The GM exploded parts view shows just the assembly, and they often break things down into pieces that aren't available separately.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
328 Posts
The pics in post #51 are all generic, and not from a trailvoy. I have a dead bearing I could bash apart if you're interested.
I only posted because I know for a fact that the 1949 Oldsmobile had ball bearings in the front wheels. I was driving my Fathers' car one evening and heard a squeaking in the front. Pulled the wheels the next day and the bearings were dry and had been so hot that the ball bearings had turned purple. Thought maybe GM had digressed to the good old days.

·
Registered
76 Posts
References to parts

RockAuto.com shows entire hub at TIMKEN Part # 513188.
this is the same part number throughout the internet for Timken...or pirate knockoffs.

RockAuto.com Wheel Bearings are at location: "2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER EXT 5.3L 325cid V8 FI (P) : Brake/Wheel Hub : Wheel Bearing".

i don't know if RockAuto includes races and seals, which I'd expect in a bearing repacking kit

....having a dual boat trailer WITHOUT tortion quicklube spindles, believe me, I remember :weird:2x/year ! :hopeless

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hubs and Bearings

I decided to backtrack MIBearings.com
I found they refer a product image to http://www.power-21.com/federalmogulpower21i. MIBearings likely resells federal-moguls parts.

Looking at the product catalog for Trailblazer 4x4 reflects that the front hubs are closed. The the rear hubs have rebuild kits for seals and bearings.

Digging deeper there, it looks like these have a subtle reference to "National" brand. LIkely BCA National, but I am not certain.

Nearly all 2nd's resellers appear confusing the actual manufacturer...including ebay and amazon sellers.

Timken is what I like, as I don't know about the other brands.
?? At least National is US ???

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
2 Posts
Excellent thread. I just finished both fronts on 2wd in less than 1 hour. If you have ever done brake job with rotors,you are only 3 bolts away from the hubs. Stopped all the whining and groaning from the Envoy AND the wife.:thx

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hub check misdiagnosis

Be sure the hub is the problem...

i raised my front end and wobbled my wheels. the drivers side wobbled, but it wasn't the hub that is bad.

the driver side steering linkage had play in it; not the hub.

if you have play in the wheel, take it off and wobble it again to be sure there aren't link or axle problems behind the obvious bearing misdiagnosis.

nevertheless, i figure with 114k i'd replace it because the suspension was already dissected, yet again after i did the axle recently, and i'd rather not store a new hub.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
17 Posts
For all those wondering about Ebay off brand bearings BEWARE! The factory went out on me so i ordered a Chinese bearing and it went within 20k miles and i thought what the heck??? So i ordered a PAIR of Chinese bearings thinking maybe i tighened the axle nut to tight or something and caused the first one to prematurely fail. Well Chinese#2 lasted about 15k and now im on my 3rd Chinese bearing. Never again! Spend the extra for a good name!

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank you!

first post, searching for GMC Envoy wheel bearing replacement and found the site. all questons answered in 5 minutes of reading, thank you for the excellent "how to" and great pictures!

2006 GMC Envoy XL SLT, 35,000 miles - left front wheel bearing howling and accentuated when swerving right, quiets down when swerving left.

Other than some early issues with fuel vent causing engine light to come on (replaced fuel tank under warranty), vehicle has been trouble free.

Troy.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
For all those wondering about Ebay off brand bearings BEWARE! The factory went out on me so i ordered a Chinese bearing and it went within 20k miles and i thought what the heck??? So i ordered a PAIR of Chinese bearings thinking maybe i tighened the axle nut to tight or something and caused the first one to prematurely fail. Well Chinese#2 lasted about 15k and now im on my 3rd Chinese bearing. Never again! Spend the extra for a good name!
I agree. I might cost you a lot more than a few bucks if those sweatshop bearings fail catastrophically at say 80 or 90 mph. I worked in the bearing industry. Inferior quality "balls" , "races" , lubricant and heatreating are not something to mess with in drivelines. Particularily the balls. They are hardened you know, and ride in between the "inners" and "outers". Races I mean. The lubricant is also very important. A US manufacturer would only use certified lubricant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Inside report

Hi, I am new to this forum and living in Japan. I have an 02 Chev TB with 55K on it.
I have done this on my front left wheel bearing.. Great instructions! :thx
I bought a front arm Assy from a kind of ebay very cheap only $50. Bacause our dealer priced it $900 for one Hub assy, crazy!!
I disassembled the old hub and investigated the root cause of the noise. I broke the seal and bearing plastic cage, then washed the grease. Finally I found peeling on the outer race surface as you can see between the balls.:eek:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum and living in Japan. I have an 02 Chev TB with 55K on it.
I have done this on my front left wheel bearing.. Great instructions! :thx
I bought a front arm Assy from a kind of ebay very cheap only $50. Bacause our dealer priced it $900 for one Hub assy, crazy!!
I disassembled the old hub and investigated the root cause of the noise. I broke the seal and bearing plastic cage, then washed the grease. Finally I found peeling on the outer race surface as you can see between the balls.:eek:

Tetchan-san, I appreciate the disassembled bearing race photos, did the balls score against the inner or outer race or the retainer? I love to look at catastropic bearing failures! Can you provide us some photos of your truck in Japan? If you are not living on a military base wher do you park? It must be a chore to maintain an American Truck in Japan.

Cya Tetchan-san!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,billdaman. Tha balls scored outer race on its upper most area and "outer" side. "outer" means road side not engine side. That part become damaded by being suffered from continuous truck weight and periodic centrifugal force of turning left.
The picture is generic hub bearing but taper roller type which are adjustable by adding preload. But ball bearing type of TB can not be adjustable and difficult to replace, need press machine. I guess GM designed TB hub to reduce parts cost and car assemble const.
As for my "American Truck(s) in Japan", are too big for our small place. My wife's car is Liberty KJ37. I like those trucks because I tow some trailers as you can see on my profile page. Oh,your hause is very big and pretty!
The TB parts are very expensive from the dealer. But sometimes very cheap from a kind of ebay, bacause very few people wants TB used parts in Japan.
Oh, not only used parts but also used turck, My TB was $16k 4 years ago, wife's 06 Liberty was only $6k last year.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ltz
11 Posts
Great Great post i am having a problem and through your guys fantastic information i diagonosed it as bad bearing. I have a question though. I have a trailblazer 2004 4wd. Do i have to remove that center nut? I am confused if that has to be removed from the wheel hub and put on the new one i buy?
Anyways already got car up on jack stands wheel , caliper, and rotor is removed. I just want to clear this up. I think i am also going to buy this from ebay to replace it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280453296214#ht_3984wt_752

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
12 Posts
Saved My Butt!

Thanks so much for starting this thread and the great detail you posted! I knew the bearing on my '03 TB was going but wasn't looking forward to paying the shop to do it. Once I saw your pics and all the detail you posted I knew I could do it myself..but its 14 degrees in the driveway!!

So I got the assembly on Ebay for $64 incl. shipping and had it in less than 24 hours. Yea that was the sign that I'd have to suck it up and do the job myself in the cold...then it snowed on Thursday! Thought maybe it was another sign but then I remembered how cheap I am. So I cleaned off the top section and hoped that today it'd be at least sunny out.

Took me just over an hour from start to finish and I can't feel my ass but I just got back from the road test and OOOOOOOO...so quiet now!

Thanks Again for the help..now off to warm up!

Nic

61 - 80 of 274 Posts