Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

41 - 60 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks for the excellent write up. I'm going to try this myself after seeing it. It's so much nicer to see full color photos!

I've been told that the problem was most likely the CVC Axel or the wheel bearing. The symptom is a loud roar or hum that gets louder when the wheels start moving faster. It sounds like it's coming from the front driver side, but I haven't tested using the "turn" method. I'm going out to do that now.

Is there any way to visibly tell if the bearing is bad? Even if I have to pull the caliper off, I'd still like to know that is the problem before I drop $200 on it! :)

Thanks!
Hi,
You can tell if it's the CVC easily. While driving and hearing the noise, shift the gear to Neutral and see if the noise remains. The CVC produces noise when there's load on it. When you shift to N you actually remove the load.
If you find that the noise remains, then it's the bearing.
Good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Running into a snag. Check out the pic:

New is on left, old on right. See that big threaded bolt thing in the middle of the old hub. What is that? Do I need a 35mm deep socket to remove it and put it on the new one?

Also, can I reuse the old ABS sensor wire? Or is it best to use the new cable.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Running into a snag. Check out the pic:

New is on left, old on right. See that big threaded bolt thing in the middle of the old hub. What is that? Do I need a 35mm deep socket to remove it and put it on the new one?

Also, can I reuse the old ABS sensor wire? Or is it best to use the new cable.
I almost died when I saw this pic but then realized you have a 2wd!! Thought you had some serious problems on your hands! I have to assume that GM only put an axle "stub" and nut on there for two wheel drive trucks?
I would say it would be best if you removed it and put it on your new hub. You can "borrow" a 35 mm socket from a local parts store to take it off. As far as the wiring is concerned, why would you want to reuse the old harness? I don't even think you can remove it from the hub.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, RWD.

So I should just be able to get a 35mm deep socket and transfer it to the new hub? Frick, this was going so smooth too lol. I hope autozone carries it otherwise it's a 20 min drive down the mountain to a big store.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Don't transfer it. Don't bother looking for a socket. Discard it with the old hub. What's the vehicle's history? Some goof changed that hub before, I'm thinking, and got it off a junkyard 4WD vehicle, and chopped off the outer CV joint because they didn't bring a 35mm socket to the yard.

Got a pic of the other side of the hub?

Anyway, you don't need it, and on a 2WD vehicle, the splined center of the hub will be empty.

What's on your other side?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Both front wheels have that stub. I have had this since 12k miles and I know the previous owner didn't do anything. This must be standard on the SS.

Got the 35mm from autozone. Now I can't get it off since it spins and I can't get a grip on it. Fubar. I think I might have to bolt the old hub back up, put the tire on it and lower it to the ground so I can get some leverage on it :(

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Try wedging a big prybar between the lug studs like it shows in the article. If you need more leverage you could bolt it back on the vehicle but I think Roadie's right that you probably don't need them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I took off the 35mm bolt and the stud didn't come out. So I put on the new wheel hub, bolted everything back up and went for a test drive. IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP/CLING CLING CLING NOISES!!! Drives like new again.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread.

FYI - 2006 RWD TBSS 40K miles - Passenger side wheel hub replaced.

I'm off to get some fast food to celebrate! The wifey will be very happy now that her dream car sounds normal again!

:woohoo:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Fascinating. I never knew that! Can't imagine why! Airflow? I don't see how it can be structural.
Hello the roadie,
Sometimes factories make the bearing two in one in order to force the balls in the groove. fitting the axle stub holds the two inner parts of the bearing tight together as one. Now I can't remember if the bearings on our trucks are made like that or one piece. If one fails to tighten the inner parts of the bearing as described, the bearing will go off in a week or so, and IT IS very dangerous to drive it in that condition as it is expected to break in pieces suddenly after the grease inside has leaked out. You can have a look at the inner rings of the bearings in the pictures below.
I hope it's clear now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Was it just me or did other people find the new hub was a tight fit on the axle spline?
Hi,
Today, I noticed my friends 2W Envoy. There is no axle stub in it. So, there is no need for you to worry about not installing the one you have.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
26 Posts
wow, this was so helpfull thanks for the great pics...getting ready to change both front bearings.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
17 Posts
Replacing wheel bearing hub

I need to replace my wheel bearing hub assembly. Does anyone know what size socket to use for that giant axle nut? I'm having trouble finding the right size deep socket.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
28 Posts
bearing or hub

So my wifes 2004 rwd trailblazer is experiencing the same problem, i was wondering if the actual bearing can be replaced alone, or does the whole wheel hub need replacing? I had done this before on a much older toyota and it was just the bearing that you packed with grease and replaced. But i have been told that these come in wheel hubs now and they get replaced all together. Please help me clarify what is being replaced?

or

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
328 Posts
If post #51 is a picture of the bearing in the 360 hub (ball bearing) it is no wonder people are having trouble with front wheel bearings wearing out. Tapered roller bearings are usually used in applications like front wheel bearings. Is that a 360 hub pictured?

41 - 60 of 274 Posts