Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
331 Posts
Did mine yesterday, took Me about 2 and 1/2 hrs to do both,but now the ABS engages Most of the time I step on the brake:confused:(bad hub, or sensor?):(
And I found my Lf cv shaft boot is leaking grease, so I guess that's next in line.
Sensor or wiring up to the connector you had to take the old one off of.

as I drive the truck it's doing it less(ABS engaging), but I notice that it does it only if I'm braking and than take some pressure off the pedal(not completely let go and only under 10 mph) but if I press firmly on the pedal until a complete stop, it does not do it:confused:

I called the parts store and asked them if they would replace ONLY the sensor(since I don't know wich one would be faulty) but they said that since they sell the hub and sensor as 1 unit I would have to take the whole thing back to the store, so I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to se if it dissapears completely(I'M JUST HOPING), LIKE I SAID IT'S DOING IT LESS AS i DRIVE IT

·
Registered
331 Posts
So I thought it was getting fixed on its own as I drove the truck, but its not :duh:

I forgot to mentioned that when I was finishing with the instalation on the right side(had not started on the left yet) I was about to plug the sensor to the harness and I heard a snap and though the connector broke, I called the store and asked if they would replace only the sensor so I would not have to remove the whole hub again and they said no, so I swaped the sensors, from the hub in the box to the hub already on the truck and viseversa, than I relaized the connector did not brake in the first place and just installed the other hub on the left side with the sensor I pulled form the right side(both brand new)

did I maybe let some dust or debris in to the sensor rings while swaping them?? Woul it be possible that if I pull them back out and clean them the problem(abs engaging at low speed braking under 10 mph) would go away?

did I explain this right???

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
21 Posts
I replaced my right front today. Took me about 2 hours and that included cleaning rust off my backing plate and giving it a nice coat of flat black paint.

The hardest part of the job was uncliping and recliping the ABS wiring.

I wanted to order from Ebay but procrastination forced me to buy mine from Autozone.

Thanks for the good write up.:thumbsup:h

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
I did mine today and used MIbearings hubs. They were awsome and made in the US for the price of Chinese.

In reading all the posts in this thread I noticed many had trouble loosening the hub from the housing. I used a Cold chisel and a small sledge. I undid all the bolts and then placed the chisel at the point where the hub and the housing meet and gave it 3 whacks. It popped it loose with no issues. It is a combination of wedge action of the chisel and the force of the hammer to loosen it. No damage to anything including the hub I am tossing out.

My hubs had 245,000Km on them and I used no penetrating oil or any pullers.

Just a tip that may help others.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So I thought it was getting fixed on its own as I drove the truck, but its not :duh:

I forgot to mentioned that when I was finishing with the instalation on the right side(had not started on the left yet) I was about to plug the sensor to the harness and I heard a snap and though the connector broke, I called the store and asked if they would replace only the sensor so I would not have to remove the whole hub again and they said no, so I swaped the sensors, from the hub in the box to the hub already on the truck and viseversa, than I relaized the connector did not brake in the first place and just installed the other hub on the left side with the sensor I pulled form the right side(both brand new)

did I maybe let some dust or debris in to the sensor rings while swaping them?? Woul it be possible that if I pull them back out and clean them the problem(abs engaging at low speed braking under 10 mph) would go away?

did I explain this right???
I got tire of hearing, feeling and thinking about the malfuctioning ABS(sensor and did not know wich side) and since I was under warranty(only 2 weeks) and being so easy to do, I decided to just take both hubs out again and exchange them. put the new ones on the truck and problem solved

:eek:fftopic: I did my rear brakes as well(pads and rotors) got the wearever rotors from advance and got a free set of pads from autozone(duralast gold c-max) and also discovered my Ebrake was completely destroyed on both sides, I thought about replaceing that as well, but decided no to do it, I never use it anyway(stoped using it when it stoped working and I thought it was the cable, but now I know why It stoped working )

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... Ebrake was completely destroyed ...I never use it anyway...
Never get safety inspected where you live? Never worry about a brake or power boost failure? Never allow a lighter or weaker person to drive the vehicle? Never drive around with loved ones? :confused: :nono:

I'd love to have such an uncomplicated life. :hail:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Heh, I drove without the parking brake functional on mine until I replaced the rear axle recently. It didn't work so I figured something was just out of adjustment. When I took the old axle out I found the entire ebrake hardware had been removed by the PO :weird:

Really, it is more of a parking brake than an "emergency" brake. I wouldn't expect it to be able to stop the vehicle at all, not fast enough in any emergency situation anyway :no:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Never get safety inspected where you live? Never worry about a brake or power boost failure? Never allow a lighter or weaker person to drive the vehicle? Never drive around with loved ones? :confused: :nono:

I'd love to have such an uncomplicated life. :hail:

Here in the chicago land area with all the salt on the roads during winter, things such as E-brakes tend to rust and stop workin or simply get distroyed as was the case with my rear brake dust shields also

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
55 Posts
do the hub and bearing come 2gether? or do you have to remove the hub from the bearing? judging from the photos in the sticky it comes 2gether. I just want to make sure that i order the right part.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
290 Posts
do the hub and bearing come 2gether? or do you have to remove the hub from the bearing? judging from the photos in the sticky it comes 2gether. I just want to make sure that i order the right part.
It's a single piece that includes the hub, bearing, and ABS sensor.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hub, bearing and ABS sensor, all 3 in one piece and really easy to do.

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
8 Posts
KEEP Parking Brakes Adjusted!

Heh, I drove without the parking brake functional on mine until I replaced the rear axle recently. It didn't work so I figured something was just out of adjustment. When I took the old axle out I found the entire ebrake hardware had been removed by the PO :weird:

Really, it is more of a parking brake than an "emergency" brake. I wouldn't expect it to be able to stop the vehicle at all, not fast enough in any emergency situation anyway :no:
Guess it depends on where you live and how much you value your safety / life. I grew up in a very hilly area -- where we always kept our tractors' & trucks' brakes up to snuff AND parking brakes on our cars were part of that too! AND you always, ALWAYS used the parking brake when parking ON THE HILLS.

As to thinking that the "parking brake" is just for parking, well, yes that is its primary design use these days I guess. HOWEVER, in keeping with my "up bringing"... I discovered that a school bus I was driving for our Boy Scouts had next to nothing for a parking brake. I pulled the drum and brake shoes off the unit (around the drive shaft) and reworked -- new drum and shoes -- tweaked up to where it should be.... AND about a month later I was exiting the interstate on an off ramp, going downhill when the brake pedal suddenly went soft. (Later discovered a ruptured brake line in the back.) You can't imagine how glad I was that I had rebuilt the PARKING BRAKE!!!! I was headed downhill at about 45-50mph with a traffic light at the bottom AND lots of crossing traffic!!!! I grabbed the "Emergency Brake" and pulled like my life depended on it -- it did, along with the scouts and leaders!!! and we stopped with room to spare! NO, we didn't stop as quickly, but we stopped! And yes, there was a definite "hot brake" smell from that one brake drum and shoes stopping the 54 passenger bus, but it did what it was suppose to do as an EMERGENCY BRAKE -- what they used to be called more often then parking brakes. I can also speak of another time when I was driving '78 Cadillac Eldorado when the master cylinder suddenly failed while pulling off the road into our shop -- fortunately, once again, the "parking brake" -- EMERGENCY BRAKE -- brought it to a stop without injury or destruction of property. SOoooooooooooooo, I canNOT stress enough, KEEP THE EMEGENCY BRAKE in good repair and ADJUSTED so that it works AND USE IT REGULARY!!!!! The parking brake / emergency brake on these GM TBs/Envoys/Bravadas is actually like a small drum brake AND not that hard to keep in good working condition. I sometimes use our "parking" brake on hills (vs. 2 feet) to start up at a light / stop sign; AND I apply it everytime I shut off any of my vehicles -- it's simply a habit. FYI, I can usually tell every time I drive someone elses vehicle if they use their parking brake or not... and sadly, there are probably more that don't get used then do. Way back when -- the 60s -- when I took drivers ed, use of the emergency brake was part of the training (as it was when I got my first chauffer's for big trucks -- guess they don't teach that anymore? Yes, I'm a stickler for keeping things in good repair -- probably got that first from Dad & Grandpa, and later flying for the US Air Force -- there's no pulling over at 30,000 feet when something doesn't work right, and you for darn sure want the brakes to work when you land at 120mph... and don't want to coast all the way to the end of the rwy. Now as far as I know emergency brakes are designed to be able to "lock-up" the wheels (or at least they used to be)... and, in an emergency, 2 wheels braking are certainly better then none in my book! just my 2 cents worth ;)

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
33 Posts
Did both sides last week. Thanks for the nice write-up and pics. My Envoy has limited life left in it, so I just used cheapo bearings off ebay for $75/pair. Very quiet, smooth ride now.

Few notes about my experience:

1) Most people have said if you're getting noise on a left turn, you need to change the right bearing, and vice-versa. It was the opposite for me though. I swapped out the right bearing first, since left turns were making the most noise. Well, after I finished, I took it for a quick test drive, and left turns were as noisy as ever, but the right was quiet. Thought I screwed something up :crazy: The next morning I did the left side bearing and everything was dandy on both sides.

2) The steps are simple, but man o man was it tough to get a couple of those bolts out. On both sides, the two 18mm bolts that hold the brake assembly were unbelievably difficult to remove, even after a long soaking of PB blaster. By far that was the hardest part of the job, I almost gave up.

Thankfully I had a 3-jaw puller to get the bearing assembly off, otherwise I think that would have been really tough as well.

3) On my right side, there was no connector for the ABS line. I was going crazy looking for it at first, then thought that maybe they had sent me the wrong bearing. Then I realized that some work must have been done down there before, because the ABS lines were just spliced together without the connectors.

So I cut off the connector on my new bearing's ABS line, spliced it in to the truck line and sealed that up with some shrink tubing. Of course, 5 seconds later, I realized I should have just unplugged the line from the old bearing and plugged it into the new one.:duh:

4) Why did GM have to use 18mm bolts? We have half a dozen metric wrench sets here at work, and I also have one at home, and not one of them contains an 18mm wrench of any kind. At least there were an abundance of 16, 17, and 19s though :p I had every other tool I needed, so I had to run to the store just to buy one stupid wrench!
------------------------------

Thanks again for the write-up and all the advice given in this thread. It was a ton of help.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
for those who want long life on these bearings, I replaced passenger side just over a year ago and picked up the part with a one year warranty at autozone. Wouldn't you know it, in the 13th month the thing went bad again.... that said I just replaced both sides and went with the 3 year warranty part from O'Rielly's this time. Cost was $150 each compared to the $100 for the one I will be replacing for the second time. Job was pretty easy and believe me I am no mechanic.... I wouldn't even say I am a weekend mechanic... Just have confidence that you can get it done and it is pretty simple swap out. The pictures at the top of this thread are perfect to give you an idea of what you need to do.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
14 Posts
Has anyone tried the VALUE PRO Part # 513188 Driven Hub w/ Integral ABS from rock auto? its 52$ vs 101$ for the Raybestos part they stock or 140$ for the timken.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
9 Posts
Being that I have replaced both sides and The passanger side twice I would say you get what you pay for. Passenger side lasted 12 months after the original lasted nine years. Go with the higher priced part and save yourself doing it twice.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
14 Posts
I guess i was wondering because after reading all 24 pages of this thread ive come to the conclusion that Timken, Raybestos and pretty much every other brand available aftermarket has failed on one person or another after a years use. Im curious as to what brand the actual Value Pro is. Maybe a white box that says made in china? :rotfl:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Has anybody used Mevotech? I got Mevotech outer tie rods (left and right) with no problems, and am waiting(delivery) on mevotech sway bar links for my wife's 02 town and country. But as for Hub assemblies, how good/bad they are?

221 - 240 of 274 Posts